• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Horned Beast Meets People-Eater (White Rhinoceros vs Hippopotamus)

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
One animal can't see jack and is basically a braindead idiot due to attacking small trees for whatever reason. The other animal is an aggressive "herbivore" that eats people (hence 500+ people killed per year). These two go up against one another all the time.

Here's a hippo and a rhino going up against one another.:

Here's a hippo chasing off a rhino:

And here's a hippo murking a hornless (female) rhino:

This battle is full-on SBA. Here are their profiles:

Rhino's Profile
Hippopotamus' Profile

Who takes this?

Rhinoceros: 1 (H3110l12345l20 (or however you spell that))
Hippopotamus: 0
Inconclusive: 0

Last edited:
Necro, I'm interested in this SBA match since both opponents are only really aggressive if they're threatened (with they are under SBA).

Even with other sources, the rhino has the size & weight advantage (they're the second largest animal on land & weigh more than a hippo even with this source). With them starting in range, the rhino surprisingly would dominate the fight. I'd imagine that a visualization would give us a good idea that the standard conditions may heavily favor the rhino too much since the hippo may not bleed the rhino out first via size disadvantage.

For the recommended edits in the OP, I would make the rhino the weaker sex since females are implied to be a little under 3 tonnes from being 3/4 a male's weight. With my sources linked, the hippo still has the weight advantage while the rhino has the size advantage. With the strengths of each animal being a bit more even, the rhino is still more durable due to higher surface area & there being actual footage showing rhinos can withstand their charges with their horns.

Despite the hippo being more traditionally aggressive, rhinos also see hippos as a big threat & would be very aggressive in it's attempts to defend itself. It will try to charge/attack at things that it perceives as a threat. It does have enhanced senses & lives in Africa, so it should still comprehend some of it's surroundings out of necessity.

It really depends on who's facing who, but the rhino is bigger & stronger here & would more likely win if both are facing each other or the rhino is facing the hippo (the horns aren't really soft flesh to pierce through). The hippo more likely wins in other facing conditions by bitting the rhino to death. Unless if the facing part is specified, I side with the rhino.

Back