• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Great White Shark vs Hippopotamus

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
You know what people think are deadly but are really hardly a threat? Great white sharks. You know what's actually deadly? Hippopotamuses. Let's pit them against each other.

For this match, we'll be putting both contenders at the edge of the Nile Delta mainly because it was the closest thing Hippopotamuses got to oceanic water, which the Great White Shark would live in. Everything else will be based around SBA. That being said, here are their profiles.:

Great White Shark's Profile
Hippopotamus' Profile

Who takes this?

Barely Threatening Fish: 7 (Guretodesu, DarlingAurora, MrHazama, Eseseso, Noneless21, jojo123, Cimafranca133)
Deathly-Aggressive Mammal: 0
Inconclusive: 0

Last edited:
hmmm, while Hippo may be stronger i feel like, GWS is much more agile in water so for now I'm leaning towards the shark but will wait for any arguments for Hippo

Perhaps. Both the shark and the hippopotamus are no strangers to armored prey, even though the hippopotamus only occasionally ate meat. Sea turtles make up a good part of the great white shark's diet while a hippopotamus would have no problem bisecting a crocodile with its bite. While the shark has a clear advantage in agility, the thing is the great white, like many other sharks, is typically an ambush predator, which hippos have experience with due to having dealt with crocs, although at the same time... Nyeh... Crocodiles are more sit-and-wait ambushers while a shark would not take sitting still all that well.

Defensively... Well, the only real predator the great white has would be an orca, which great whites have no defense against. Hippos, however, have lions and crocodiles going against them, and their thick hide keeps either predator from biting through. Dunno if the same logic would apply to creatures with serrated teeth like the great white, however. Crocodile and lion teeth are more for crushing while shark teeth are more for cutting. And if that viral video of a hippo eating a lioness' head is anything to go off by, it has no trouble punishing predators that go at it. There's a reason why lions would refuse to try eating a hippo unless either the lion is desperate or the hippo is near its death bed. I don't think the hippo would have the intelligence to flip a great white over, however.

Pretty much while great whites have agility going for them, hippos have durability/endurance going for them.

Perhaps. Both the shark and the hippopotamus are no strangers to armored prey, even though the hippopotamus only occasionally ate meat. Sea turtles make up a good part of the great white shark's diet while a hippopotamus would have no problem bisecting a crocodile with its bite. While the shark has a clear advantage in agility, the thing is the great white, like many other sharks, is typically an ambush predator, which hippos have experience with due to having dealt with crocs, although at the same time... Nyeh... Crocodiles are more sit-and-wait ambushers while a shark would not take sitting still all that well.

Defensively... Well, the only real predator the great white has would be an orca, which great whites have no defense against. Hippos, however, have lions and crocodiles going against them, and their thick hide keeps either predator from biting through. Dunno if the same logic would apply to creatures with serrated teeth like the great white, however. Crocodile and lion teeth are more for crushing while shark teeth are more for cutting. And if that viral video of a hippo eating a lioness' head is anything to go off by, it has no trouble punishing predators that go at it. There's a reason why lions would refuse to try eating a hippo unless either the lion is desperate or the hippo is near its death bed. I don't think the hippo would have the intelligence to flip a great white over, however.

Pretty much while great whites have agility going for them, hippos have durability/endurance going for them.
Hmmmmm, the thing is Hippo need to go to the surface to breath once in a while plus it'll be in real trouble if GWS aim at Hippo's belly (considering Hippo's belly didn't have much thick layers of defense)

I dunno, maybe GWS can aim at the side and topple Hippo over? That'll be really hard to do given Hippo's weight...

Hmmm, does Hippo ever experienced in fighting exclusively underwater predators?

GWS via agility underwater.

Hippos might be able to stay underwater for some time but they still need to get up for more air. Sharks doesn't.

And fighting something within a body of water would make it difficult for hippo to get some.

GWS also have better senses+is faster.

GWS ftw.

Hmmmmm, the thing is Hippo need to go to the surface to breath once in a while plus it'll be in real trouble if GWS aim at Hippo's belly (considering Hippo's belly didn't have much thick layers of defense)

I dunno, maybe GWS can aim at the side and topple Hippo over? That'll be really hard to do given Hippo's weight...

Hmmm, does Hippo ever experienced in fighting exclusively underwater predators?
No idea. Hippos used to have a significantly wider range than they do now, plus I dunno if anyone from ancient times ever recorded oceanic hippo encounters. The only place I know for sure people found hippos in the ocean is Gabon, and they kinda just existed: https://research.ufl.edu/publications/explore/v08n2/feature_01.html

Hippos did, however, displace a large exclusively-marine mammal: the West Indian manatee. Granted how they did it is more environmental (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamuses_in_Colombia ) than anything else, but given their aggressive and territorial nature, there's the chance that they would've posed a significant physical threat to manatees as well. Bear in mind, manatees don't exactly have natural predators; only the occasional tiger shark and American alligator encounter.

then Hippo probably haven't really fight something that actually posses it a threat like shark

hmm, I was gonna say Hippo takes this because lolthickskin but I believe GWS' teeth capable of damage the Hippo, dunno really

No idea. Hippos used to have a significantly wider range than they do now, plus I dunno if anyone from ancient times ever recorded oceanic hippo encounters. The only place I know for sure people found hippos in the ocean is Gabon, and they kinda just existed: https://research.ufl.edu/publications/explore/v08n2/feature_01.html
I feel that the source isn't enough to claim it.
Hippos did, however, displace a large exclusively-marine mammal: the West Indian manatee. Granted how they did it is more environmental (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamuses_in_Colombia ) than anything else, but given their aggressive and territorial nature, there's the chance that they would've posed a significant physical threat to manatees as well. Bear in mind, manatees don't exactly have natural predators; only the occasional tiger shark and American alligator encounter.
Despite that, the shark has much more mobility in water and would win via that.

Back