• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hollowness for Robots

I've been looking around at multiple lifting strength calculations and notice many of them use widely different percentages for a generic hollowness for robots. Like some calculations automatically assume a robot is 80% hollowness by default while others have said we use 30% hollowness by default. So when I calculate the weight of a robot what percent hollowness do I use?

If it has room for people inside it throughout the whole robot, then 80% probably works best since that's what we use for buildings. If only a small part of it is human occupiable, then maybe only use 80% for that section. I don't see anything on the calculations pages about hollowness, so I'm not sure where 30% comes from.

The robot I calculated couldn't be occupied at all, it was autopiloted.

I've heard from another thread that 30% hollowness is what we are supposed to assume for machinery, and when people pointed out there was an area in that robot you could sit in the calc still only used 50% hollowness but I've seen other calcs use 80% which is why I'm asking which hollowness we are supposed to use.

You could try equating it to drones, I guess.

The robot I calculated was a robot worm so I'm not sure if a drone would be that comparable but I'll look up the hollowness of actual robot snakes and see how hollow those are.

Edit: Just looked it up, I couldn't find anything about hollowness on both drones and the robo snakes. I guess I'll just stick with the 80% hollowness the calc currently uses, though that sounds really hollow for a robot designed to fight and ram into things.

Back