• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

High School D×D Discussion Thread #4

A lot of people also think that Issei should have more girls in his harem, so I wouldn't really rely on the majority of the DxD fanbase (at least the western one) when it comes to writing criticism. What power levels do you consider screwed up? Just curious. And mythologies being expanded includes the Hindu people (Indra, Mahabali), Egyptians (Ruval's team relies on them), for example.

I personally don't have an interest in the invasion since its build-up hasn't been effective, whatever. It's basically a foreign world (with little to no exposure to serve as some sort of hype0 seemingly going at war due to something as inconsequential as Rizevim doing the work of an Internet troll. I don't find that too exciting, to be honest.

But there are some that think the opposite. There are some that think, the power up is getting repetitive and that there is not enough ecchi going on. Oh and some of them even want Issei to...you know.

Just read whats happening in the previous volume to know the power level.

Those simply are just character being introduce, yes, they are from other mythology. But I am talking about expanded upon on other mythology magic system, and how their system function as a whole. There is a lot of thing that is need to being expanded upon like what Sun Wukong tells George in V9 and the mystery of SG since they are one of the top main thing that shape event of the world.

I find it more fun to see them tackle Invasion without some help from the older generation. And sees the relationship being atfected by the invasion going forward. If thats the direction its going.

Its a shame that we couldnt see Parashurama, Rama or Krishna appear in DxD. Oh, wait. This is DxD so they are just Vishnu alias not avatar. But it would be awesome to see them using Astra.

I'm actually going to be the odd one here and say I find the Tournament to be the best part of this arc.

Hades and his death gods looked promising at first but have shown themselves to be a huge letdown.

And I think the ExE is being rushed in only because Ishi noticed that Hades wasn't going to be a good final boss for Ise's story; in short, I don't mind the ExE robots appearing per se, but I think it's too soon.

Demonicjester01 said:
"Its just simple to show off the DxD cast on how they have grow in power prelude. It was a fun arcs but its like DxD version of Dragon Ball Super at this point."

That's selling the tournament way too short.
I actually find comparing the Azazel Cup to the Tournament of Power makes sense, both have the same "all characters you already knew but even stronger than before in addition to never seen before characters tournament" concept at their core, and both are being used as the climax of their stories.

The only obvious thing about tournament arc is about one thing only: Character having a good time beating the shit out of each other. Which is the only best part.

He could have at least used Indra or Shiva as some sort of final boss. Because he said this in Volume 13 "Afterword" and I quote:

"If DxD continues to go on for much longer, I'm thinking of doing "The Destruction God Shiva arc" as a last resort. So I have no plan to make them appear until then."

The fact that he made them appear now in the final arc is a good way to make the last final boss arc be good and he should at leats stick to it.

By the way, we havent even seen Ophis true power yet. To understand why its hopeless to defeat her. I mean, this is the dragon who shrug off Truth Longinus like its nothing.

I remember that quote. I honestly don't think Shiva is going to be the final boss at this point, given he and Ise are allies.

And don't forget he also said he wanted to make spin-offs for Nakiri/Millarca and an Exorcist and we haven't heard a word from those. Or that he said he wanted DxD's sequel to be about Millicas, yet here we are with Shin DxD and Ise is still the prota.

That's literally what a sequel is. That's like saying Dragon Ball Z isn't Dragon Ball's sequel because "It's the same story, just with a episode count reset for marketing reasons".

No, it's not. Dragon Ball Z, for one, has a different tone and themes compared to Dragon Ball, along with focus on different characters than Dragon Ball had. It's not nearly the same as DxD and Shin.

That makes no sense whatsover. How Z has "different tone and themes" from the original for starters? And focusing on different characters? The focus was still on Goku. Yeah, Gohan and Vegeta were added, but if we go by that logic, Ingvild wasn't on the original DxD and yet she's focused on Shin.

Shiva as ally is questionable since he does have his own agenda. Since Ajuka did threaten him. And yes, he didnt seem like final boss but ishibumi did hint to him being somewhat involved and related to him.

He said that Millicas and Nakiri story will be after DxD end anyway which is Shin.

Yeah, but the original unlabeled DxD already ended, Ishi himself noted that on Vol 25 afterword. I honestly don't have hopes for the Millicas one, but since Nakiri also appeared on Slash Dog I have more faith on that one.

>How Z has "different tone and themes" from the original for starters?

No space stuff, nor transformations, shared focus with gags and adventure instead of mostly battles, and the battle focus having martial arts at its core instead of just power levels, just to name a few.

>And focusing on different characters? The focus was still on Goku. Yeah, Gohan and Vegeta were added, but if we go by that logic, Ingvild wasn't on the original DxD and yet she's focused on Shin.

Acting as if Goku was the only focus of the original Dragon Ball. It wasn't just him, there was focus on Roshi, Bulma, Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chiaotzu, most of which completely phased out in Z after a brief sendoff in the Vegeta & Nappa arc, to be replaced by Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo as an ally, etc.

Once again, the differences are way more substantial from DB to DBZ, incomparable to any perceived differences from DxD to Shin DxD.

Any possibility of Shiva being the final boss has been destroyed since Volume 21 ending. It would have been interesting to see though.

I see it as unrealistic to expect the younger generation to handle ExE without help from the older generation since Ishibumi has already said the current battle preparations for the DxD universe as a whole is still insufficient. While I would also like expansion of the other mythologies (especially Celtic and Chinese at this point), the tournament arc and the background happenings have more positives than negatives as already outlined. It also gives more development for our main character as a King and outlines his flaws and growing maturity as he stumbles and rises on his way to becoming a better leader. Malebranche arc? It's essentially necessary for Longinus possessors to assemble and form EXE in time for the invasion. It's not a chore to go through, there are legitimately relevant things being set up.

Personally, I would hate if Ishibumi went straight to the ExE arc and started cramming all these things, the relevant characters and powerups without sufficient prior exposition or development. It's better for powerups to be properly hinted at or explained now rather than in the final arc where they could potentially feel like asspulls. At least, we are getting a clearer image of how things will shape up and climax in the final arc. I honestly like the current arc for the most part.

As for Hades, he probably can't do much by himself but I feel like Samael is what makes him really threatening. Especially when we remember that the Samael that handily nerfed prime Ophis had a lot of restrictions placed on him, so you can just imagine the amount of damage an unrestricted Samael could cause.

There is a hint that Azazel is going to die or whatever is going to happen to him. So thats is some probably idea that is going to happen. But if they are going to to handle it fully with help from the older generation then I say that at least there are some area that they should be handle by themselves without help from them.

Tournament arc as a whole should have the MC and the main girl be on the same team so they can demonstrate their resulted growth together, having them seperated doesnt seems right. When its the MC thats going to get the developement but not the Main Girl as well. Also, Ishibumi should let the main girl have her own power up without rely on anybody.

Malebranche Arc is interesting but since they are all "Crazy Battle Maniac", they are going to be like Crom Cruach and the previous others Evil Dragon which is boring. At least, gives us some clue to them being more than just that like some of them having their own agenda or something.

Yeah, the current future power up seems like not to be a much aspull like it was before.

All Hades had is Samael but without it, he is not a good enough villain even though he is in the Top Ten. I feel like Angra Maiyu would be a much better final boss.

Shining Trapezohedron said:
There is a hint that Azazel is going to die or whatever is going to happen to him. So thats is some probably idea that is going to happen. But if they are going to to handle it fully with help from the older generation then I say that at least there are some area that they should be handle by themselves without help from them.
Depends, there are certain situations that will always be too delicate for the younger generation to handle alone, like the upcoming war.

And Issei already said that he'll have to think and decide for himself on several matters now that Azazel is no longer around, so it's not like Ishibumi hasn't acknowledged this particular issue.

Tournament arc as a whole should have the MC and the main girl be on the same team so they can demonstrate their resulted growth together, having them seperated doesnt seems right. When its the MC thats going to get the developement but not the Main Girl as well. Also, Ishibumi should let the main girl have her own power up without rely on anybody.

Gotta disagree on this one. I can see where you're coming from, but Issei is clearly meant to develop by himself as a leader and it won't happen if he continues to stay under Rias. Ishibumi repeats this tone through Indra who tells him that his reliance on Ravel is too much. His team would collapse without her as things are rn.

There's no way he can be one of the important leaders for the ExE war like the higher-ups want if he's unable to effectively lead a small team. Power obviously isn't everything, there needs to be a right balance between strength and intelligence as we see with other strong people like Ajuka, Indra, Sirzechs, etc. Issei will definitely be needed to function in bigger leadership capacities in the future. This is a good starting point for him where he can experience the difficulties of being a leader and get sufficient development before he steps up to more important positions.

As for Rias, I would also like that but she was never meant to be among the powerhouses with her normal strength tbh. Her strong point is her talent to gather strong people. When you think about it, there's a good balance between the Rookies Four as all of them have their particular strengths.

Malebranche Arc is interesting but since they are all "Crazy Battle Maniac", they are going to be like Crom Cruach and the previous others Evil Dragon which is boring. At least, gives us some clue to them being more than just that like some of them having their own agenda or something.

All Hades had is Samael but without it, he is not a good enough villain even though he is in the Top Ten. I feel like Angra Maiyu would be a much better final boss.

True, it's clear that Ishibumi just introduced them for EXE. But let's wait and see before we judge them.

Hades is fine but he's not too intimidating by his lonesome, yeah. He would have really shone if the members of the alliance weren't so selfish though >_>

Its not like they will come back in 30 years anyway since if ExE is anything to go by they are still stuck in the Isolation Barrier.

Now that I think about it, you are correct but its feel like they just go ahead and decided his life anyway without his consent. And Issei just let them do it. His future with his children in ExE is just outright not good at this point.

Rias is suppose to be the Main girl which is the one that we have sering through the beginning of the LN but she doesnt seems to get any power up thats suppose to come from her instead its another help again. She prove that she could think and come up with power up on her own like Extinguish Star which is great that Ishibumi did that. I am fine with help but at this point, it should be no problem for to hold her own.

If Malebranche is like what I think they are then I will be pissed.

At least, made him feel threaten by him taking action personally. It would made hp somewhat.

"I am fine with help but at this point, it should be no problem for to hold her own." It is a problem, because unlike the characters she currently has to match up to, Rias has no foreign help or cheats such as Longinus, divine weapons or the power of the Dragon God. Expecting her to catch up to such cheats purely on her own in such a small period of time is very nonsensical.

She does have a weapon that she is gifted with but never used it. So there is no problem that she shouldnt use it. I am not expecting her to catch up to other because like you said it would be nonsensical but I am expecting her to at least be able to fight by herself on her own for a while before using help.

What weapon? Do you mean Galatine? She doesn't have the skill to use it, and it's just a Holy Sword. A single Holy-Demonic Sword from Yuuto is worth 4/7 of one, and he can mass-produce those without his Sacred Gear being even a Longinus. And she can fight on her own without needing help. She has already done it, she's at least close to Ultimate-class, and likely already around it. That is insane considering she's a 18/19-year-old.

Hum, you are correct on that. But it still doesnt make sense for her not to do more with her POD like her brother but instead opt to rely on Gasper which I have no problem but I would like for her to do more with it.

If we go by that then Sairaorg was able to do it as well and he had no power of destruction. That is more insane than Rias.

Sirzechs is a freak of nature, eldritch mutation. He's not comparable to Rias, much less in the little time she has had. And Power of Destruction, while strong, is not really the most versatile power there is. It can basically just work for two things, straightforward offense, and a very terrifying defense, but nothing else.

Sairaorg had many years to do what he did. DxD has gone by barely one year and a half if we're generous. And in that year Rias has gotten from low-tier High-Class to possibly Ultimate-Class. That's actually an achievement not that inferior to Sairaorg's, who needed several years of hyperspecialization to get to high-tier High-Class.

All I am asking is Rias try to make some move of her own even if little, I know that she is not special like her brother. POD is nothing special but that doesnt mean she shouldnt tried at least.

Yeah, I do agree. I say, Sairaorg and Rias by that point would have been in ultimate class.

Technically, there's Extinguished Star which has an exclusive property that no one else's application of PoD has shown, including Ex who inherited Issei's genes and power so I'd say Rias deserves credit for that. Interested in seeing Millicas' variation of PoD.

Illustrations I'd like for next volume:

- Alphecca Tyrant wielder

- Verrine

- Angra Mainyu

- Vali's powerup (I mean, come on, we haven't even seen both EJOD and DxD L)

- Samael (I know, it's extremely doubtful and borderline impossible)

I wouldn't mind a lewded Le Fay as well ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sirzechs is a freak of nature, eldritch mutation.

This really made me laugh

Shin 4 gathered many really powerfull characters in England.

AxA Ise - stronger than Tartarus even while supress himself and has incomplete form. His All-Range Blaster has power of Many Infinity Blaster (in supress state)

Angra-Mainyu - potentionally Tartarus equal. Surpass Heavenly Dragon class and possible equal of Indra.

Crom Cruach - one of strongest dragons without GR and Ophis + stated as one of strongest on entire tournament in terns of power only.

Vali - currently Heavenly Dragon class + 3 potentional power ups

Verrine - Super Devil that should be around Sirzechs level

Hades - Top 10 class (which tier is currently unknown)

Sairaorg - God class with his Breakdown the Beast

Demonicjester01 said:
And seemingly drawn by Kikurage as well. It looks so beautiful to see my beloved Natsume in manga form.
Yup. The Slash Dog manga is confirmed for 26/12 and it will be drawn by the LN Illustrator too.

SlashDogManga
In related news, DxD characters will appear next year in a Fantasia Bunko Crossover RPG:

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1185723721018945537

According to Ishibumi, the release of the manga will mark the beginning of a new "Mediamix Project" for the Highschool DxD series titled "DxD Universe". So presumably we'll be seeing DxD stuff in various media, like Games/Manga/Novels/Anime.

https://twitter.com/ishibumi_ddd/status/1185800764414820353

I'd like if the Manga Adaptation of the main novels was revived. I could also see potential in a Fighting Game of sorts.

Just hearing about the Slash Dog manga adaptation, pretty lovely news!

Ionliosite said:
None. Specially since we, for some reason, don't accept the God Tiers being 5-B.
Most of the statements are honestly vague but the one for AxA should work. :)

Back