• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hiatus x Hiatus

UchihaSlayer96

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I recently rewatched the 2011 anime and caught up with the manga. Obviously it's incredible. One of the best pieces of media I've ever consumed tbh. Definitely 10/10 imo. Great characters, story, and probably the best power systems in all of anime(only rival imo is JoJo).

With all that being said, I felt kind of empty and sad at the wasted potential of HxH. It sells millions of copies even with all the hiatus, which tells me it might've been possibly as big as One piece if it had a more consistent release schedule.

But most importantly I worry at the idea that Togashi might die before finishing his masterpiece, which would be such a shame. So I kind of wanted to start a discussion on the current state of HxH, what you guys think the future holds, whether it'll ever finish, and just the wasted potential of the series.

P.S: I am fully aware of Togashi's mental and physical health issues and this is NOT at all a knock on the guy, but simply a friendly discussion about a series I love.

Hunter x Hunter and One Piece were the original front runners but hiatuses happened and the rest is history. HxH is still popular but it could've have been ridiculously popular.

Togashi did last release a volume in 2018. Right now it's been over a year since he's last released a volume. I still think there's hope for it to be completed since Togashi has said he wishes to complete it and the current arc is very good and the series is gradually getting more broad with more world building then ever before.

I hope Togashi at least has the rest of the story panned out so if he cannot continue for whatever reason another mangaka can help him out. He does have connections with Kishimoto and Ishida and his wife is the author of Sailor Moon and used to help him out.

Either way I think HxH is very underrated writing wise and most people outside of the fandom only view it at the surface level. In my opinion the Madhouse adaptation is one of the best anime.

EmperorRorepme said:
Either way I think HxH is very underrated writing wise and most people outside of the fandom only view it at the surface level. In my opinion the Madhouse adaptation is one of the best anime.
1000% agreed. Writing is stellar especially Yorknew and chimera ant arcs. Nen is absolutely brilliant as a power system. Gon and Meruem's parallels still give me chills. Netero is the best "Old dude" in anime. Chrollo is surprisingly deep. Hisoka is just.... ******* Hisoka lol.

Gives me goosebumps just thinking about how good it is. 2011 is one the best adaptations ever. Enhances the manga so much, animation, music, and especially the narration.

I really hope Togashi has a plan in case the worst happens, because I feel like he needs and deserves to see his MAGNUM OPUS through to the end.

For anyone who doubts the writing I'd just give them this link

Some people downplay the narration though. Saying it ruins the pacing and it makes the fights boring. Lmao. I can't understand that, it has a lot of importance.

EmperorRorepme said:
For anyone who doubts the writing I'd just give them this link

Some people downplay the narration though. Saying it ruins the pacing and it makes the fights boring. Lmao. I can't understand that, it has a lot of importance.
The Narration is one of my favorite parts Lmao

I hope Togashi doesn't die before he finishes Hunter x Hunter I want to see the end of the best Shonen anime imo. Also cuz I am an anime only fan I want my dark continent arc adaption.

Strawboi said:
I hope Togashi doesn't die before he finishes Hunter x Hunter I want to see the end of the best Shonen anime imo. Also cuz I am an anime only fan I want my dark continent arc adaption.
I hope so too though I wouldn't hold my breath for the anime lmao. At the current pace of 10 chapters every other year the anime is at least a decade away lmao. Bleach has a better chance of getting an anime unfortunately

Strawboi said:
@Uchiha thats makes me kinda depressed ngl I want my dark continent adaption soon lol.
I cry myself to sleep watching HxH clips lmao so I feel ya trust me.

The current arc is gigantic, bigger in scope than the Chimera Ants arc, with the surface barely scratched even with all the exposition dumps (way off from landing on the Dark Continent or the fake Dark Continent). The current hiatus is the longest one so far.

It probably won't be finished, and Togashi attempting to finish it will damage his health. IMO it is best to just consider the series finished at the World Tree, and consider everything that comes after an extra.

ShadowWhoWalks said:
The current arc is gigantic, bigger in scope than the Chimera Ants arc, with the surface barely scratched even with all the exposition dumps (way off from landing on the Dark Continent or the fake Dark Continent). The current hiatus is the longest one so far.
It probably won't be finished, and Togashi attempting to finish it will damage his health. IMO it is best to just consider the series finished at the World Tree, and consider everything that comes after an extra.
it's impossible to ignore all the current plot threads, at least for me. the phnatom troupe, Kurapika, Hisoka, Ging, Pariston, Beyond, Illumi, AND the Princes(4th and 9th especially) all on the SAME FRIGGIN BOAT is just too exciting for me to forget lol. can't help but want to see it through

I wouldn't lose hope yet just because this is the longest hiatus but many already have. Personally I think it will come back. I could wait years for Hunter x Hunter just to be finished.

EmperorRorepme said:
I wouldn't lose hope yet just because this is the longest hiatus but many already have. Personally I think it will come back. I could wait years for Hunter x Hunter just to be finished.
i'd certainly wait years if that's what it'll take.

but actually I feel like the fanbase is still loyal. it's not as big as it could be those who stick with it are loyal as hell, similar to Berserk and JoJo

Togashi'a condition in general does make me feel bad for any potential Mangakas they really work so hard to give us the best they can deliver.

Js250476 said:
Togashi'a condition in general does make me feel bad for any potential Mangakas they really work so hard to give us the best they can deliver.
It also has to do with Japan's terrible and toxic work ethics and conditions. They work them like slaves. Which is why suicide rates are up and anime staffs are understaffed and overworked. Thus quality is dropping.

I think Togashi is one of the greatest mangakas to live today alongside Naoki Urasawa, Eiichiro Oda and Hirohiko Araki. The man is a genius in writing.

I am also fully aware of Togashi's debilitating health and wish him nothing but the best, but at the same time I really wish he would communicate with the audience. Are you working on the chapters or are you taking another break? There is zero information about the current status of Chapter 391's release, and the only thing people have is him saying that he has the storyboard for the next 10 chapters after 390 to be finished. Togashi coming out and saying not to expect any chapters for a good while would be better than being left in the dark.

EmperorRorepme said:
2019 was just a sad year for HxH fans. Freaking Berserk got more chapters. HxH fans as a community are so starved of content that we are resorting to discussing stomp matches because we literally have nothing else to do, making videos about who would win: all of the Phantom Troupe or Meruem.

Also one of my biggest fears is that when the anime returns, it will be One Punch Man Season Two'd. Here's hoping Madhouse stays with it until the end. I wouldn't want any other studio to have it, not even DavidProductions or Gainax.

LordUrien935 said:
Also one of my biggest fears is that when the anime returns, it will be One Punch Man Season Two'd. Here's hoping Madhouse stays with it until the end. I wouldn't want any other studio to have it, not even DavidProductions or Gainax.
Hopefully the 2011 staff returns. Assuming they're still alive at that point ofc.

2019 was just a sad year for HxH fans. Freaking Berserk got more chapters. HxH fans as a community are so starved of content that we are resorting to discussing stomp matches because we literally have nothing else to do, making videos about who would win: all of the Phantom Troupe or Meruem.

Sad times indeed lol, but honestly it's good that the community is alive in some capacity. There's also quite a bit of analysis videos and forums on the series so there's definitely a sizable loyal fanbase.

Back