• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unsc nova bomb upgrade

I believe the unsc bomb known as nova should be upgraded to either moon level or higher. Am i maybe insane and high balling shit maybe but do i care.

1 according to admiral Danforth whitcomb in the novel first strike. He states The bomb is a planet killer and it would crack a covenant home world in two.

2. In ghost of onyx. A group of hugrok, gets their hands on one of These bombs. And through, them being stupid,it blows up damaging the planet by a **** ton and blowing up its moon.

And 3 in halo envoy they talk about what happened to glyke as being planetary genocide..

So upgrade it to clearly moon level or higher im ******* right the end.

There were recently calculations here, but I have brought up issues. It is unknown how big planet Glyke is and it could be considered dwarf planet sized for all we know. And also, it may have obliterated Malheim's moon, but we also do not know how big that moon was; it was described as a tiny moon. So it could have been as tiny as Deimos or Phobos. But either way, it should be properly calculated first.

There were recently calculations here, but I have brought up issues. It is unknown how big planet Glyke is and it could be considered dwarf planet sized for all we know. And also, it may have obliterated Malheim's moon, but we also do not know how big that moon was; it was described as a tiny moon. So it could have been as tiny as Deimos or Phobos. But either way, it should be properly calculated first.
Mhm i see your point also kinda wish there were more statments for nova. Oh and i dont think glyke is a dwarf planet. It was home to billions of sangheili and i dont think a dwarf planet can maintain that many

It still needs specifics about the size to confirm or properly calculate anything, also, it could have been mostly crammed space, because keep in mind; some Earth sized planets actually have quintillions of lives if you include wildlife. And have been planets basically consisting of a giant intercontinental sized city where an Earth sized planet could have trillions of humanoids. Also, Glyke being Earth sized would contradict that Malheim was also roughly Earth sized and that wasn't destroyed anywhere near the level of Glyke and only suffered Tier 6 damage at worst.

It still needs specifics about the size to confirm or properly calculate anything, also, it could have been mostly crammed space, because keep in mind; some Earth sized planets actually have quintillions of lives if you include wildlife. And have been planets basically consisting of a giant intercontinental sized city where an Earth sized planet could have trillions of humanoids. Also, Glyke being Earth sized would contradict that Malheim was also roughly Earth sized and that wasn't destroyed anywhere near the level of Glyke and only suffered Tier 6 damage at worst.
Maybe malheim is bigger who knows

I mean don't we generally assume planets are Earth sized for calcs like this?
The moon thing could be calced using Phobos

We usually assume Earth size for planets with mass population, but Malheim and Glyke are both most likely smaller than Sangheilos as that's kind of their main population; Malheim can't be too much bigger than Earth but could but it clearly has a moon that's much smaller than Earth's. And the Glyke's example could be seen as a potential outlier and/or that not all Nova bombs are equal. I know 100 Shiva Nukes did make a gas giant go nova, but "Going nova" =/= destroying it as making the yellow sun go Nova is only a 5-A feat for example. Though, I do believe the result for Shiva nukes would be Tier 5 range, but still would also need a proper calculation.

That was the gravity of Sanghelios; there is no official gravity of Glyke.

Glyke is a Sangheli colony, and they routinely prefer planets with 1.375g gravity because that is the gravity of Sanghelios. In addition, it is stated to be earthlike in the book, though I'd have to go through to find the actual statements again.

Ignoring any of that, a Spartan team walked on Gkyke for an extended period of time without noting exceptional gravity, either weaker or stronger, so it can be safe to assume the planet is at least Earth-sized if not very similar.

Either way, shaving off a 4th of a planet's crust and making the entire surface uninhabitable from a geo-stationary point is enough of a feat for at least moon level, imho

Further points of lore for NOVA Bombs:

• Referred to as "Planet Killers" in Halo: First Strike by Vice Admiral Danforth Whitcomb, a reliable source on them if there ever was one, considering he oversaw the project. (H:FS page 180)
  • Turned Glyke into a cloud of dust and killed everything on it nearly instanly, while damaging Spartan Gray Team's Prowler despite it being far away from the blast and planet, though how far isn't established. (Halo: Envoys)
  • Cortana, possibly the most reliable source on anything in the Halo universe during that time, believed deploying a Nova Bomb on Delta Halo would destroy the Halo and destroy High Charity, a 348 KM space station/small moon object (Halo: Ghosts of Onyx page 183)
  • Stated to be like "A small star" by the narration, and vaporized an entire covenant fleet of over 300 ships (Halo: Ghosts of Onyx page 244)

If direct quotes are needed, I can pull both Ghosts of Onyx and First Strike off of my bookshelf. I lost my old Kindle though, so Envoys is a bit harder.

The Glyke example would be the only thing quite 5-B territory, the rest sound more like High 6-A to Moon level statements. Though it does say can break a small planet to pieces. The High Charity is roughly Ceres sized, but it's a back up 6-A or High 6-A feat, and vaporizing 300 fleets would roughly yield that category too. I think at least High 6-A, possibly 5-B works though given Glyke's statements and billions. But prefer some of the other calcs including the Malheim example get calculated.

Further points of lore for NOVA Bombs:

• Referred to as "Planet Killers" in Halo: First Strike by Vice Admiral Danforth Whitcomb, a reliable source on them if there ever was one, considering he oversaw the project. (H:FS page 180)
  • Turned Glyke into a cloud of dust and killed everything on it nearly instanly, while damaging Spartan Gray Team's Prowler despite it being far away from the blast and planet, though how far isn't established. (Halo: Envoys)
  • Cortana, possibly the most reliable source on anything in the Halo universe during that time, believed deploying a Nova Bomb on Delta Halo would destroy the Halo and destroy High Charity, a 348 KM space station/small moon object (Halo: Ghosts of Onyx page 183)
  • Stated to be like "A small star" by the narration, and vaporized an entire covenant fleet of over 300 ships (Halo: Ghosts of Onyx page 244)
Yeah its not page 180 for the first strike its 231 that 180 is something wiki for some reason keeps getting wrong

The Glyke example would be the only thing quite 5-B territory, the rest sound more like High 6-A to Moon level statements. Though it does say can break a small planet to pieces. The High Charity is roughly Ceres sized, but it's a back up 6-A or High 6-A feat, and vaporizing 300 fleets would roughly yield that category too. I think at least High 6-A, possibly 5-B works though given Glyke's statements and billions. But prefer some of the other calcs including the Malheim example get calculated.
I mean moon level would be fine pretty sure i lazyly made this for moon level or higher

Back