• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Bombs exist in this verse, no? Unless their standard weapons are explosives (entirely possible, I've never played the game) then I'd be wholly against using the explosion to scale to their normal arsenal.
Yeah, Human bombs exist. I meant that assuming that something explosive was in the room and that the Alien Grunts could use them based on very little information of such isn't really grounds for denying such feat. Infact there is little evidence of aliens using human or any manmade tools until the Half-Life 2/Alyx Era, which takes place 20 years after the events of Half-Life 1.

Alien Grunts don't really have anything explosive in their arsenal. The only weapon they have is the hivehand, something that Gordon acquires right before the feat.
Punches do not traditionally generate explosions. If their punches verifiably do, then that's one thing, I suppose. Otherwise I stand by my judgement- I don't think you ought to scale them to an explosion that they seemingly did not cause directly.
If there isn't proof of any other explosive they could've used (or wanting to use them), then they would get explosive punches.
Even if they weren't the ones to perform the feat directly, as seen in the more visually clean video, they were still rather close to the explosion. An explosion that would have to be roughly 9m in diameter (the gate width) to destroy the gate. There would still be some ground to scale.
They appear to have a gun here? Am I missing something?
That's the hivehand. It's a biological weapon attached to the arm that just shoots infinitely regenerating hornets. It is significantly weaker than the Grunt's punch.
The other guy says it can, if a source or something can be provided (if such a thing exists), then I have no problems scaling it.
Well I have tested it out and the answer is... sorta? When hit on the main body, the Tau passes through the Gargantua without a reaction. However when I shot it at the Gargantuas feet, it made a visible alien blood particle and the Gargantua reacted. I'll upload it soon so you all get a clearer picture.
I refer to the following bit:
I get that. I'm asking if the first half of that is the one with the "possibly Subsonic+ reactions" while the second half with the Human Grunts and Aliens Grunts are the one with the definitive "Subsonic+ reactions"?

The alien grunt thing seems weird, like severely so, so at the moment I'm going to leave that rejected until some other staff arrive to share their thoughts on the matter- I know that sucks given how long you've waited, but I don't follow the evidence much here. On the other hand, I'm not savvy with the verse so there's good odds I'm just missing something entirely. Hope that's alright with you.

Well I have tested it out and the answer is... sorta? When hit on the main body, the Tau passes through the Gargantua without a reaction. However when I shot it at the Gargantuas feet, it made a visible alien blood particle and the Gargantua reacted. I'll upload it soon so you all get a clearer picture.
Appreciate that. Is it possible to kill Gargantua with the Tau?

I get that. I'm asking if the first half of that is the one with the "possibly Subsonic+ reactions" while the second half with the Human Grunts and Aliens Grunts are the one with the definitive "Subsonic+ reactions"?
Oh! Yes, that's what I'm getting at, it was not my intention to imply nobody could possibly outspeed or scale to Gordon, just that the first bit seemed rather flimsy.

I see. Maybe a "possibly" would do?

I see. Maybe a "possibly" would do?
Isn't that used for ratings that are 50/50's, somewhat vague or non-definitive?

The Tau can definitely harm the Gargantua, who should be 8-C+ overall as it's feat was done via physicality and it has stomps that make visible shakes and can be used as attacks.

The only Issue is that the Tau just kills the Gargantua way slower than the Gluon, which I think would be a severe downscale or, in a best case scenario, an "At most" ranking. I'm okay with a downscale happening, personally speaking.

It is used for a myriad of reasons, including what you say but really it's just in any circumstance where it is uncertain. I am uncertain if barely wounding the creature should count for full scaling, so I like "possibly", personally.

So about the zombies, are they going to get downgraded because unlike stronger monsters, they are rather weak and easy to kill as they mindlessly walk over towards their victim while the Fast Zombie just makes a mad dash.

If Standard Zombies are able to destroy planks and doors, then that automatically makes them wall level at best.

And about them killing Gordon, its just the zombies attacking Gordon when his HEV suit runs out of power.

Bump, sorry for the wait.

First, the Tau Cannon scaling. While there is an issue with the Tau's scaling directly to the Gargantua due to weird properties, there may be a solution to this.

So going back to the explosion scaling (mentioned in OP) I found that explosions can harm and kill the Gargantua pretty quickly if Gordon has enough ammo (Test 1, Test 2, Test 3). So if theres an issue with the Tau harming the Gargantua directly, the Tau to Explosion scaling might still work (Though I may have to change the OP to include this proposal)

Second, my answers for Sans2345 posts.
So about the zombies, are they going to get downgraded because unlike stronger monsters, they are rather weak and easy to kill as they mindlessly walk over towards their victim while the Fast Zombie just makes a mad dash.

If Standard Zombies are able to destroy planks and doors, then that automatically makes them wall level at best.
Correct me if i'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but i don't see how their speed should effect their physical strength, those are seperate things that rarely have anything to do with one another. They are also being downgraded to feats that they have actually been shown to do.

They'd be above Headcrab/Crowbar tier, which is already in the middle of Wall level (1.7 Megajoules). They still have the steel door feat, the problem was me scaling them to an explosion that destroyed a door. They should now scale to this evaluated calculation (0.00744 Tons of TNT)

And about them killing Gordon, its just the zombies attacking Gordon when his HEV suit runs out of power.
This is still no direct showing of Zombies attacking Gordons outside of gameplay. No Monster or Character is scaling to harming Gordon Freeman due to game mechanics unless they are boss fights.

Hi, yes.

The Tau situation seems reasonably resolved one way or another- I think you did the right thing in testing it since it is very much a fringe case. Explosions, though, maybe shouldn't be used if it takes an unreasonable amount to hit? We don't recognize the concept of chip damage on this wiki, so if their feats are otherwise lower, I think it may be best to still just leave Tau at a "likely" and leave explosions (grenades, I assume?) alone.

Is that amenable to you?

Bump, sorry again for taking so long to reply.

I am fine wth the "likely" suggestion for the tau, however I think there's some confusion on the "explosions" part.

Are you suggesting only certain explosives would scale to this? Because there are issues with that, one being that all explosives deal the same amount of damage (that being 100) with the only exceptions being the Abram Tank (though that's probably to be discussed in an entirely different thread) and a Tactical Airstrike that one-shots the Gargantua (Gordon doesn't scale to this either). Both of which happen to be coming from military vehicles.

Also I'm pretty sure that every explosive in Gordon's Arsenal can actually harm the Gargantua, the only reason I didn't record it was because I thought the rockets and the smg grenades were fine enough (also laziness and wanting to do it quickly)

Also just realized I could've put the tests videos together in one or two videos instead of upload 5 seperate videos.

So here's I think it will look like if I understood it correctly:
Small Building level+, likely Building level+ with explosives and the Tau Cannon (Could blow up a gate with his explosives and harm the Gargantua, who can destroy a metal gate in a single hit. The Tau Cannon can take down an Apache with the same amount of shots as his RPG and reduce a scientist and a security guard, who wears armor capable of withstanding explosives, into skeletal remains with an overcharged blast), Building level+ with the Gluon Gun (Gordon's strongest weapon, capable of killing a Gargantua in just a few seconds)
This is just the explosives and the experimental weapons, not including the other weapons yet. I want to see if this is fine before putting this in the OP alongside some other minor changes (like changing the zombie door calc with an other one of same value mentioned above)

Are there any other staff knowledgeable on Half-life that could review this CRT?
bold of you to presume I'm knowledgeable on Half-Life, never played

Back