• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Half-Life/Portal General Discussion

About this:

On the wiki it is currently listed that Wheatley is comparable in reaction to GLaDOS (who is MFTL+).

Since neither Wheatley or GLaDOS could react to moon portal, couldn't their reaction time be used in the calculation?

It would not be Calc Stack as it is an official statement.

Which would result in the following:

1 picosecond/16= 6.25e-14s

Distance to the moon: 376291600m

376291600/6.25e-14= 6.0206656e+21m/s or 20082778733546.390625c (MFTL+)

Wasn't it shown in some blueprints that the Portal Gun is powered by a mini black hole?
Yeah, it's a miniature black hole inside the Portal Gun iirc. Would it even meet the black hole standards?
Yeah, it was and I've already included it in my sandbox for the thing, and no, I doubt it would meet the standards given it's being stopped by a tiny cooling fan from exploding.
Cool, massive outlier though.
On the wiki it is currently listed that Wheatley is comparable in reaction to GLaDOS (who is MFTL+).

Since neither Wheatley or GLaDOS could react to moon portal, couldn't their reaction time be used in the calculation?

It would not be Calc Stack as it is an official statement.
Where did you get "neither Wheatley ot GLaDOs could react to the moon portal" from that? How would they react? GLaDOS is "helping" Chell and would have no reason to stop them and Wheatley has been depowered and ran out of things to use, resorting to mocking and yelling at Chell to stop.

Also it very visibly traveled in three seconds. if it was as instantaneous as you proclaim it to be, they wouldn't have bothered making it take time to reach the moon (also it being below SoL makes it better fit the setting of the Portal/Half-Life universe, like there is a video that goes over how the Portal Gun matches real science linked earlier in this thread).

Yeah, it was and I've already included it in my sandbox for the thing, and no, I doubt it would meet the standards given it's being stopped by a tiny cooling fan from exploding.
We're talking about the company that developed portals in the 50's, a super-asia that ended up killing them, lasers, torrents and more technologies that defy current physics. So it is quite plausible that it is a real one.

In addition, the blueprint itself mentions that it has an Event Horizon Estimation Wheel in case the black hole gets out of control, which allows estimating a safe distance from the device.

Which surprises me coming from Aperture, I was expecting them to say "Since you are there, let us know if you travel to another universe".
Where did you get "neither Wheatley ot GLaDOs could react to the moon portal" from that? How would they react? GLaDOS is "helping" Chell and would have no reason to stop them and Wheatley has been depowered and ran out of things to use, resorting to mocking and yelling at Chell to stop.

Also it very visibly traveled in three seconds. if it was as instantaneous as you proclaim it to be, they wouldn't have bothered making it take time to reach the moon (also it being below SoL makes it better fit the setting of the Portal/Half-Life universe, like there is a video that goes over how the Portal Gun matches real science linked earlier in this thread).
My bad, I remembered that during that part when shooting all dialogue and music stopped and went into a slow time mode.

I just watched the ending again, and yes my bad. 😅

Back