• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Half-Life/Portal General Discussion

Random question. What is your favourite Half-Life game?

Oh and by the way Gordon shouldn't have high pain tolerance under abillities since it now falls under the stamina category.

Random question. What is your favourite Half-Life game?

Oh and by the way Gordon shouldn't have high pain tolerance under abillities since it now falls under the stamina category.
I'm planning to eventually play through every half-life game normally, because I only have played it with console cheats and for "versus purposes" in recent years, so I can't fully say what is exactly my favourite is... but it's probably between the original Half-Life, Opposing Force and Portal 2 (it technically counts).

Yeah, that should probably be removed. Pretty sure there is a CRT to document every "Pain Tolerance" listed so they could be removed easier.

Great job. 8-C Gordon Freeman is inevitable at this point.

Btw do you remember that feat i sent where the Abrams tank destroys that metal gate?

Great job. 8-C Gordon Freeman is inevitable at this point.

Btw do you remember that feat i sent where the Abrams tank destroys that metal gate?
The Abrams feat is here, it's pretty close to baseline of 8-C

Looking through some of my calcs for 8-C Feats, there are...
If i could get the 3 feats in the middle evaluated (or reevaluated), then i could probably make a decent argument for 8-C Half-Life.

Last edited:
Time to revive this thread...
  1. The Supersonic+ Calc just got accepted
  2. The Class 25 Calc just got accepted
  3. I think I found a feat for portals which involves dispersing clouds that may scale to Gordon because of the Nihilanth. I have to look into it further.
  4. I'm also working on a reworked profile for Chell, which I plan to do a CRT about once the current HL CRT gets accepted.
I also have some more videos I think are neat that I wanted to share for quite a while now:

Here's the entire Black Mesa Incident with multiple POV's, including Decay. I think this will be helpful with understanding the timeline of events for the first game and it's expansions. It is over 8 hours though...

Another neat video where a guy, who is an actual scientist, discusses how the Portal Gun works in detail. I think it's notable because it points what sorts of materials can conduct the portals we see in the game (because we know that moon rock is the best conductor for portals)

While I don't agree with the entire video, I do think there is some use to it. Like the calculation of the mass of a radiator (which I will have to redo for my calculations if I ever do it).
This might make the Zombie feat even more powerful if I confirm that they can throw the radiators (I wonder if there's even a limit to the props they can throw)
I will also try to calculate the force of the Gravity Gun with it. Might get even greater results.

So this year, i've just kinda been playing through all the Half-Life and Portal games recently. I've played through Half-Life 2 and it's episodes and I've already played a ton of Portal 2 and I've gotten to play Portal RTX as well (Its alright, I guess...). I've still got to replay Half-Life and it's expansions though...

I've also been working on a Chell profile rework and a Classic Headcrab profile that's merged with the Classic Zombie (because who would make the Zombie profile first and seperate from the parasite itself?). In Chell's profile, I mention a very interesting feat:
This feat could probably be calculated with the Test Shafts from Old Aperture, with the Map provided in the first Sphere and using the Depth measurement featured in the elevators of Sphere 3 and 6 (which goes from 4000m to 3000m, about 1000m of distance between them). But I'm wondering if this feat is actually usable (Because Chell and GLaDOS should be at the epicenter of this "explosion") and if this would effect the statistics of characters outside of Aperture like Gordon Freeman.

Btw i calculated the feat mentioned above here, alongside a nuke calc and potato, and added a list fo evaluated and unevaluated calcs like the TF2 Thread.

I also included one old calc compilation where I calculated the Dropship's container to be Class 100 and where another Mortar has 9-A to 8-C potency.

Recently played through both Portal games and playing through the Half-Life games currently (only completed HF and Blue Shift atm)
Gonna be following this thread

Shouldn't Supernatural Willpower go on Chell's Portal 1 key instead of her Portal 2 key? Since the tenacity test was done on Chell before the events of the game
It was originally like that but then I messaged DaReaperMan, someone else I think is knowledgable on Portal, and he basically said that it wasn't enough for that key. I could probably change it back during a CRT on Portal if made, though it kinda has to wait for CRT mentioned way above to finish first.

Speaking of portal, I found some DB fan trailer about GLaDOS which happened to have prediction blog about who would win. Seeing the first ability they gave to GLaDOS really suprised me and reminded me that the Perpetual Testing Intitiative exists and that I'll probably have to actually consider it when making these sandboxes.

If you're gonna be making a GLaDOS profile then i have some stuff to recommend
GLaDOS could get Nanotechnology, as Apperture has a nanobot work crew (which i'd assume she commands)
GLaDOS says that the light bridges can set hair on fire, so that would be Heat Manipulation (tho she should probably already have that because of the lasers, but ig this is an extra)
I've also got an additional Wheatley thing, his AP shouldn't be 10-C because he can actually attack, as seen when he smashes some glass

The recent G-Man thread makes me wonder if Half-Life could get a cosmology page
Not that it'd scale to anyone, but HL's cosmology seems pretty vast

In response to a question about Combine Tech looking similar to Aperture Tech, the lead writer responded that the Combine may be actually using Aperture Tech. Guess this means the Aperture Energy Pellet can actually scale to the 8-C AR2 feat mentioned way above in this thread and thus Durability gets way higher for Aperture Tech and P2 Chell.
The recent G-Man thread makes me wonder if Half-Life could get a cosmology page
Not that it'd scale to anyone, but HL's cosmology seems pretty vast
Actually Cave Prime, who runs the Perpetual Testing Initiative that gives the most information about the multiverse, would be able to scale to it in some sort of way.

In response to a question about Combine Tech looking similar to Aperture Tech, the lead writer responded that the Combine may be actually using Aperture Tech. Guess this means the Aperture Energy Pellet can actually scale to the 8-C AR2 feat mentioned way above in this thread and thus Durability gets way higher for Aperture Tech and P2 Chell.
Neat
Actually Cave Prime, who runs the Perpetual Testing Initiative that gives the most information about the multiverse, would be able to scale to it in some sort of way.
Not sure, that seems pretty indirect, but maybe it could be counted as ED?

Gordon's stamina could probably be expanded a bit more. He's currently accepted at just 2 days of fighting aliens and military forces while injected full of morphine, he should be at minimum be capable of fighting for 3 days based off how Half-Life 2 progresses and catogorizes it chapters. And, if we're assuming G-Man's weird stasis thing doesn't rejuvenate him in any way, he should be capable of fighting for at most 6 days.

After completing Chamber 12 Chell falls through a ceiling into a room, the hole appears to be rather large so i think the result of this could be pretty good
Given that they look like the non-portalable surfaces of test chambers, which I'm pretty sure were shown to be entirely made of metal in most destroyed environments like Pre-Wakeup or during Wheatley's reign, I'm pretty sure this would give good results too. I can probably calc it when I have the time.
I've also got an additional Wheatley thing, his AP shouldn't be 10-C because he can actually attack, as seen when he smashes some glass
I'm pretty sure this give something at minimum Wall level with KE, given Wheatley is a 1 Ton Core, however this isn't something he can do unless he's on a management rail (because he can't move without it). So Wheatley will probably stay at 10-C and have a seperate stat for "while on a management rail"

Reading it just now, I think the pool party map description confirms that Xen has no air. Also steel doors are 2 feet in thickness so... I may need to update some calcs.

Xen having no air is pretty strange, Barney goes there in Blue Shift without any equipment and he's able to breathe there, plus there's also scientists walking around Xen in Opposing Force

Xen having no air is pretty strange, Barney goes there in Blue Shift without any equipment and he's able to breathe there, plus there's also scientists walking around Xen in Opposing Force
I mean Marc Laidlaw, who was the writer for all Valve-made Half-Life games before the release of Alyx, stated he didn't include anything that appeared in the Gearbox expansions into his writing and wasn't influenced by anything in those games, though he also stated that "the issue of canon" was made up by the community itself so...

Even then, Gordon also appears without a Helmet in all Promo material and even the game itself (picking up a suit without one and using thirdperson in singleplayer) and it would make sense Xen wouldn't have air given that it's a bunch of low gravity islands with barely any plant life in the middle of space. I don't think there's gonna be a large amount of air anyways

Would we be able to upgrade the Suppression Field's AP to 9-A+ (and subsequently, Gordon's armorless dura) based on how it's able to vaporize three squad members at once? It's also able to technically vaporize a squad of four (which would put its AP at 8-C instead), but I'm not sure if you're able to get more than three squad members at that part without cheats, since the previous level only has three members you can gather iirc, and the beginning of the level with the Suppression Field only gives you enough members to have a total of three.

Would we be able to upgrade the Suppression Field's AP to 9-A+ (and subsequently, Gordon's armorless dura) based on how it's able to vaporize three squad members at once? It's also able to technically vaporize a squad of four (which would put its AP at 8-C instead), but I'm not sure if you're able to get more than three squad members at that part without cheats, since the previous level only has three members you can gather iirc, and the beginning of the level with the Suppression Field only gives you enough members to have a total of three.
I have an unevaluated calc of the Suppression Device destroying a building around that same level, so I think that's pretty reasonable. Though given the Device works like a blast, couldn't we theoretically get it's yield via Inverse Square Law based off it vaporizing the squad members? I think that would be interesting to look at.

So recently I got a Portal Gun sandbox of mine to a state that I consider it to be "finished", it includes pretty much everything I could find about the signature device.

Another thing I found was this video by Dauntless Wolf (and I guess the followup to it too but that's less important), where he actually gets the most canon conversion rate hammer units using an actual ruler from one of the Half-Life 2 maps of 2.4 centimers per hammer unit or about 0.94 inches, meanwhile my calc from 3 years ago (which I used for all of my HL calcs) had a conversion rate of 2.36 cm/u which is slighly below the Dauntless one.

With the new human height of 172.8cm and my old pixel scaling, Gordon Freeman's height would be 170.94cm which is an increase of about 1.629%. The increase this will give to my calcs is probably negligible, but I think it's still noteworthy enough for me to update my calcs.

Back