• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gyarados downgrade

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired
I have an issue with the 7-B feats on Gyarados' profile.

What are the rules we currently have listed on the verse page, again...?

"When used as a justification for power levels, only highly specific Pokédex entries should be used (i.e. if the Pokédex states that a Pokémon is able to destroy a mountain without specifying the size of the mountain or the timeframe used, it is not viable for calculation or as an individual feat)."

In the pokedex entries listed, no timeframe is provided, and the size of the city is never specified. In fact, in the comments section of the 7-C calc, one guy mentioned the city busting feat, and the author of the blog refuted it promptly, saying that no timeframe was given. We cannot just use calcs from a completely different wiki if we're just going to leave out tidbits like this if we please.

Conclusion: Gyarados should be "At least 7-C" and ONLY that. No 7-B Gyarados. Also, those who scale to him should get the revision as well.

If I may, on the topic of providing timeframes, there actually sort of IS one for one of Gyarados's dex entry feats. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gyarados_(Pokémon)#Pok.C3.A9dex_entries_3

From Pokemon Sun: "A tale is told of a town that angered Gyarados. Before the sun rose the next day, flames utterly consumed the town, leaving not a trace behind."

Of course, this may be an... underwhelming feat, since a town and a city are pretty different here, but, I don't know the original Japanese 'dex entry, and it's quite possible the localizers used "village", "town" and "city" interchangeably, although I'm uncertain that's necessarily the case.

Pearl and X also share an entry: " In ancient literature, there is a record of a Gyarados that razed a village when violence flared."

It's questionable how the size of a "village" lines up, although, this doesn't change Gyarados having Pokedex entries stating it's destroyed cities.

Nonetheless, I do wonder how Sun's timeframe impacts the feat. It only took until "before the sun rose the next day", but on the other hand, if it's only destroying a TOWN, and not a CITY, and it could take that long, I wonder if it puts Gyarados's achievable level of destruction within given timeframes into question.

Sorry if this is irrelevant or unhelpful.

Imaginym said:
If I may, on the topic of providing timeframes, there actually sort of IS one for one of Gyarados's dex entry feats. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gyarados_(Pokémon)#Pok.C3.A9dex_entries_3
From Pokemon Sun: "A tale is told of a town that angered Gyarados. Before the sun rose the next day, flames utterly consumed the town, leaving not a trace behind."

Of course, this may be an... underwhelming feat, since a town and a city are pretty different here, but, I don't know the original Japanese 'dex entry, and it's quite possible the localizers used "village", "town" and "city" interchangeably, although I'm uncertain that's necessarily the case.

Pearl and X also share an entry: " In ancient literature, there is a record of a Gyarados that razed a village when violence flared."

It's questionable how the size of a "village" lines up, although, this doesn't change Gyarados having Pokedex entries stating it's destroyed cities.

Nonetheless, I do wonder how Sun's timeframe impacts the feat. It only took until "before the sun rose the next day", but on the other hand, if it's only destroying a TOWN, and not a CITY, and it could take that long, I wonder if it puts Gyarados's achievable level of destruction within given timeframes into question.

Sorry if this is irrelevant or unhelpful.
I recall these already being mentioned in the profile. But I appreciate the effort anyways.

Back