• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Greek Deities Immortality and Regenerationn Revisions

I was skimming through some Greek mythology and I think there is an error in their immortality and Regenerationn

In their battle, Typhon ripped out Zeus' sinews and had to have Hermes and Aigapan steal them back and put them in Zeus for him to fight again.

"Grabbing the sickle he [the monster Typhon, after defeating Zeus in battle,] cut out the sinews from Zeus' hands and feet . . . He hid away the sinews there [in Kilikia] in the skin of a bear, and posted over them the Drakaina Delphyne (a girl who was half animal). But Hermes and Aigipan stole back the sinews and succeeded in replanting them in Zeus without being seen."

- Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 1. 42

When Ares was wounded by Diomede's spear, he had to retreat to Olympus to be healed by the physician of the gods, Paean.

"With this she caught hold of Sthenelus and lifted him off the chariot on to the ground. In a second he was on the ground, whereupon the goddess mounted the car and placed herself by the side of Diomed. The oaken axle groaned aloud under the burden of the awful goddess and the hero; Pallas Minerva took the whip and reins, and drove straight at Mars. He was in the act of stripping huge Periphas, son of Ochesius and bravest of the Aetolians. Bloody Mars was stripping him of his armour, and Minerva donned the helmet of Hades, that he might not see her; when, therefore, he saw Diomed, he made straight for him and let Periphas lie where he had fallen. As soon as they were at close quarters he let fly with his bronze spear over the reins and yoke, thinking to take Diomed's life, but Minerva caught the spear in her hand and made it fly harmlessly over the chariot. Diomed then threw, and Pallas Minerva drove the spear into the pit of Mars's stomach where his under-girdle went round him. There Diomed wounded him, tearing his fair flesh and then drawing his spear out again. Mars roared as loudly as nine or ten thousand men in the thick of a fight, and the Achaeans and Trojans were struck with panic, so terrible was the cry he raised."

-The Illiad, book 5

"He then bade Paeeon heal him, whereon Paeeon spread pain-killing herbs upon his wound and cured him, for he was not of mortal mould. As the juice of the fig-tree curdles milk, and thickens it in a moment though it is liquid, even so instantly did Paeeon cure fierce Mars. Then Hebe washed him, and clothed him in goodly raiment, and he took his seat by his father Jove all glorious to behold."

- The Illiad, book 5

Heracles shot Hades and he had to go to Olympus to be healed by Paean. He also shot Hera in the breast with a 3-barbed arrows and her pain could never be relieved.

"Juno, again, suffered when the mighty son of Amphitryon wounded her on the right breast with a three-barbed arrow, and nothing could assuage her pain. So, also, did huge Hades, when this same man, the son of aegis-bearing Jove, hit him with an arrow even at the gates of hell, and hurt him badly. Thereon Hades went to the house of Jove on great Olympus, angry and full of pain; and the arrow in his brawny shoulder caused him great anguish till Paeeon healed him by spreading soothing herbs on the wound, for Hades was not of mortal mould"

- The Illiad, book 5

Heracles wounded Ares in the thigh and his sons Phobos and Deimos took him back to Olympus, presumably to be healed.

"Then bitter grief seized Ares and he drew his keen sword and leaped upon bold-hearted Heracles. But as he came on, the son of Amphitryon, unsated of fierce battle, shrewdly wounded his thigh where it was exposed under his richly-wrought shield, and tare deep into his flesh with the spear-thrust and cast him flat upon the ground. And Panic and Dread quickly drove his smooth-wheeled chariot and horses near him and lifted him from the wide-pathed earth into his richly-wrought car, and then straight lashed the horses and came to high Olympus."

- Hesiod, Shield of Heracles

Diomedes wounded Aphrodite on the wrist and she retreated back to Olympus to be healed by Dione

"Now the son of Tydeus was in pursuit of the Cyprian goddess, spear in hand, for he knew her to be feeble and not one of those goddesses that can lord it among men in battle like Minerva or Enyo the waster of cities, and when at last after a long chase he caught her up, he flew at her and thrust his spear into the flesh of her delicate hand. The point tore through the ambrosial robe which the Graces had woven for her, and pierced the skin between her wrist and the palm of her hand, so that the immortal blood, or ichor, that flows in the veins of the blessed gods, came pouring from the wound; for the gods do not eat bread nor drink wine, hence they have no blood such as ours, and are immortal. Venus screamed aloud, and let her son fall, but Phoebus Apollo caught him in his arms, and hid him in a cloud of darkness, lest some Danaan should drive a spear into his breast and kill him; and Diomed shouted out as he left her, "Daughter of Jove, leave war and battle alone, can you not be contented with beguiling silly women? If you meddle with fighting you will get what will make you shudder at the very name of war."

- The Illiad, Book 5

"So saying, she wiped the ichor from the wrist of her daughter with both hands, whereon the pain left her, and her hand was healed. But Minerva and Juno, who were looking on, began to taunt Jove with their mocking talk, and Minerva was first to speak. "Father Jove," said she, "do not be angry with me, but I think the Cyprian must have been persuading some one of the Achaean women to go with the Trojans of whom she is so very fond, and while caressing one or other of them she must have torn her delicate hand with the gold pin of the woman's brooch."

- The Illiad, Book 5

Perseus turned Atlas into a mountain and Atlas did not recover from this

"Now at dusk, fearing to trust the night, he [Perseus flying on winged sandals] landed on the far Hesperian shore, the realm of Atlas, seeking rest awhile . . . Atlas Iapetionides (son of Iapetos) surpassed all men in giant size. He ruled the world's last lands and that far sea that greets the panting horses of the sun and welcomed their tired wheels. A thousand herds roamed on his pastures and a thousand flocks, unchecked, untroubled by a neighbour's bounds; and there were trees whose glittering leaves of gold clothed golden apples under golden boughs. 'Good friend,' Perseus addressed him, 'if renown of lineage may count, I take my line from Juppiter [Zeus], my father; or if deeds can win your admiration, mine you will admire. I ask for rest and lodging.' But the giant recalled the oracle which Themis Parnasia had given : 'Atlas, a time shall come when from your tree the gold shall be despoiled, and of that spoil a son of Jove shall boast.' In fear he had walled his orchards all around with massive ramparts and for guardian set an enormous Draco; and drove off all strangers from the borders of his realm. To Perseus too 'Away! Begone!' he cried, 'Or you shall find no joy in that renown your lies invent, no joy in Juppiter [Zeus]', and added force to threats, as Perseus tried fair words at first, then bravely grappled him. But when he found his strength surpassed (for who could match the strength of Atlas?) 'Very well!' he taunted, 'If you rate my thanks so low, accept a gift!' and turned his face away and on his left held out the loathsome head, Medusa's head. Atlas, so huge, became a mountain; beard and hair were changed to forests, shoulders were cliffs, hands ridges; where his head had lately been, the soaring summit rose; his bones were turned to stone. Then each part grew beyond all measure (so the gods ordained) and on his shoulders rested the whole vault of heaven with all the innumerable stars."

- Ovid, Metamorphoses 4. 627 ff

There are other myths such as Zeus getting his head split open by Hephaestus and Uranus getting castrated that are ambiguous whether they regenerated or healed. The only myth I can find where a god is regenerating damage is Prometheus. Even then, you can make an argument that Zeus is healing him everyday.

I think their immortality should be changed to types 1 and 5 and should have no Regenerationn

ask knowledgeables

@Elizhaa

Saw that thread, and I didn't think they had enough evidence (Actually any evidence at all) for Low-Godly Regenerationn. I have actually presented quotes in the OP from ancient Greek literature that shows the opposite.

I am honestly fine with OP proposal. I just linked the past CRT because I thought most people don't know about it.

On the topic of the greek gods, there profiles feel off, they all seem like they're in 2016. Compared to most profiles made now they just don't feel right, maybe it's just me and I have no clue how to fix it, but they don't look good.

Votron5 said:
The only myth I can find where a god is regenerating damage is Prometheus. Even then, you can make an argument that Zeus is healing him everyday.
I believe that in that Myth, the oly organ of Prometheus that was getting eaten and healed was the liver, an organ which is know to have some level of rgenerativecapabilities, even if in the myth they are either exaggerated or simply enhanced by Zeus.

But yeah, I agree.

Thank you for your input everyone, I'll make the necessary changes to the Greek profiles.

Isn't just Chaos the only one who predates existence? His childer, such as Nyx, Tartarus etcetera were all already part of existence.

Don't know about Orphic Mythology though.

Then it's not Type 2 but rather Type 3. Type 2 is being transcendental of the level of Reality. Simply creating Time isn't Type 2 Concept Hax and neither is predating existence.

Back