• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Alright so almost all games made by Suda51 are part of the same universe, and I was gonna y'know go around the games, get evidence for that, put together some author statements and try to give them meaning, that kinda stuff, you know?

Then Suda51 dropped an interview where he straight-up-no-ifs-no-buts confirms the existence of this verse. So thanks for that my guy you saved me a lot of effort.

... Effort which I put in months ago so I'm still gonna be showing some of it off here, as extra evidence. Beware of mild-ish spoilers for... basically every Suda51 game.

What is included in this "Suda-verse"? Obviously No More Heroes is basically the center of it all. Then, The Silver Case. Midori and Kamui from NMH3 originate from The Silver Case (and they are the same characters), and various other characters from that series, such as Kosuke Kurumizawa and Mokutaro Shiroyabu show up in Travis Strikes Again's visual novel segments- hell, Kurumizawa was even Dr. Juvenile's boyfriend once. From the other side, the remake of The 25th Ward has 100 endings- yes, 100. Some of them are jokes, some are not, some of them are meant to actually make you think, and some are meant to canonize other games. For example, here's one describing the first VN segment of Travis Strikes again, one full year before TSA came out. Compare for yourself if you want.

Now, Killer7. Not only does one of Suda's interviews above explicitly say the opening cutscene of Travis Strikes Again is canon, the cutscene that not only shows Dan Smith from Killer7, but has him referencing various characters from the same game, but this entire cutscene is a callback to the unfortunately only half-translated Killer Is Dead novel (no relation to the game of the same name, also made by Grasshopper Manufacture). This story is set in the Killer7 universe and features Shigeki Birkin, a killer whose weapon of choice, a baseball bat, has gotten him the nickname "Batman"... It's not hard to see why they changed that one. But yeah, Badman, the co-protagonist of Travis Strikes Again, is actually a Killer7 character. There's some more stuff, like The 25th Ward referencing Susie Summer, a K7 character, and the original No More Heroes pretty blatantly referencing Killer7 multiple times, such as having a TV channel with the same name as one in K7 or having a set of techniques themed after the titular Killer 7.

Killer Is Dead, the game this time. The 25th Ward once again directly references Mondo Zappa, but that's not really important, considering Mondo straight-up appears in Travis Strikes Again.

Shadows of the Damned is literally an in-game game in Travis Strikes Again, one that the protagonists play a sequel of, and have a nice lil' talk with Johnson and Garcia. Also this isn't really canon but if you look at the first interview I linked, the TheGamer one, Suda straight-up mentions Fleming, the villain of Shadows of the Damned, and says he was gonna be Midori Midorikawa's dad but the cutscene got cut. I have no idea how that works, but sure, why not!

Let It Die: The Death Drive Mk. II which appears in TSA has a future version of it appear in Let It Die, and LID even has beam katanas and the guns from Killer7 as available weapons. Note that Suda specifically mentioned the Death Drive 128 from LID as being related to the DDMkII.

Kurayami Dance literally has Travis appear in it. The protagonist also has a cameo in a Silver Case manga, the same one where Midori first appears, but I don't think that will be necessary.

Lollipop Chainsaw has Juliet Starling appear in Killer Is Dead.

Fire Pro Wrestling World - The Vanishing (DLC written by Suda), out of all things, has the protagonist Blade Saeba's friendly rival, Notorious, cameo in TSA before The Vanishing even came out. But many of you guys will recognize him as the superhero guy from NMH3, and yup, that's him. The Vanishing is a direct sequel to Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special, the second game Suda ever wrote for, so that one's canon too although it doesn't really matter. Fun fact, SFPWS has the protagonist ******* kill himself with a shotgun at the end because he's lost everything in his pursuit of victory, fans didn't like that one lmao.

Twilight Syndrome, this one doesn't really have profiles so it doesn't matter, but anyway. This is all second hand information since there is no fan translation, but many of the characters that appear in the prologue to The Silver Case, and are killed off there, giving the series an ending of sorts. Again, doesn't matter, felt like I'd mention it.

Even Diabolical Pitch, the Kinect game, has references to TSC and is referenced by TSA. I could make profiles for it they're like, 9-B with some basic P&A but I won't because it's a Kinect game. So does Michigan: Report from Hell for that matter, but I have yet to check that one out.

What does all this mean for the pages on site? Not too much. First off, though, the verse page will have to be made, or rather I'll just upgrade the No More Heroes verse page since it's the best one rn, the only other verse page is Killer Is Dead and that one ain't amazing. Anyway, what should we call the verse page?

Well, "Grasshopperverse" or "Suda-verse" have been officially spoken by Suda51, and I suppose they're an option, but, counter-argument, that's ******* lame.

How about Kill The Past instead? Even casual Suda51 fans might have ran into these words a few times- namely, Kimmy Love and Kamui Uehara say them in No More Heroes 3. But the truth is these words have been spoken in many games Suda51's written (The Silver Case, Flower Sun and Rain, The 25th Ward, Killer7 kinda, No More Heroes III), and they represent themes that many of Suda's games reflect: A protagonist weighed down by their past who must manage to discard it to survive, an emphasis on a corrupt society, and a weird focus on moons and telephones. Now this isn't all games in this "grasshopperverse", but those few other ones are tied to it anyway. Not only has Suda51 acknowledged this term, but he's used it even outside of his games to describe his stories. Even more importantly perhaps, Kill The Past is the term that fans use the most, just google those three words and you'll run into a lot of video essays and articles about Suda51's games, while "Grasshopperverse" gives you basically nothing and "Sudaverse" just gives you some theories that spawned around TSA's release.

Also, Kill The Past just sounds cooler. Obviously I'd still have other alternative names such as Sudaverse, Grasshopperverse and all names of the series that compose it redirect to the page.

With that being over with, how does this reflect on the ratings of the characters? Well, there isn't much.

Badman was terrified of Dan Smith despite being fine with trying to kill Travis, who he fought mostly evenly with, so Killer7 characters get a "Likely 8-B" rating on the profiles, in addition to a "Likely Sub-Relativistic+" speed rating, not just based off upscaling from Badman, but also their own feats, which I will calculate: Dodging the Laser Smile's beam and possibly dodging the Handsome Wink- keep in mind that if a verse is close to SoL already, the burden of proof is lightened a bit.

TSA Death Drive Travis & friends Eight Hearts, who should be stronger than he was as Johnson, so all in-game characters get "Likely 8-B" upscaling from Johnson's ratings in SotD

As for Garcia himself the "trailer" for Damned Dark Knight has a nice stamina feat for him, plus in his talk with Travis and Johnson/Eight Hearts he mentions he can easily fend off the demons attacking him with his bare hands, so that's a Martial Arts addition. Johnson/Eight Hearts also gets his own profile.

Travis Strikes Again also sees Kamui fighting Travis somewhat evenly, so his second key will scale with a "Likely" as well, and so do Kuro and Jabroni who kill him in many of the endings.

Some 9-C people who've got training in killing people (Kaido Wataru from Kurayami Dance and Helter Skelter, it's also a supporting feat for Silver Case 9-Bs) can upscale to 9-B via likely being superior to random thugs and masochists who get ran over by Travis' Schpeltiger, keep in mind these are basically normal dudes in the game.

Also, Bloodlust is another common concept in Suda51 games- Travis and a few other NMH characters like Badman have ESP already for being able to sense it, this would now apply to other characters in Kill The Past that have similar feats, namely Kaido Wataru and a few guys from The Silver Case.

This doesn't really have much to do with the CRT itself but I haven't met my daily quota of Suda51 shilling yet so in cause reading all of this got you interested in any of these games, here's a nice guide to Suda51's "Kill The Past" games. Keep in mind that while playing them in order might make the experience a little better it's not really necessary outside of direct sequels.

Last edited:
This seems sufficient enough to prove a link between the mentioned subverses. As I mentioned on Discord, the statement from Suda that they're all the same world is more than likely enough on its own, but more evidence never hurt anyone. I approve.

oh, i forgot, the fighter owns weapons from Killer7, so his AP with those should scale to them since their ap comes just from those weapons, they don't empower them or anything and since they're guns they don't really use striking strength unlike beam katanas, which the fighter also has access to.

god imagine how painful it would be to make the verse page
Even without Suda straight up admitting that all the games are connected somehow, we still have plenty of evidence that suggests they're all part of some weird wacky universe, I agree.

Huh, that's actually neat, didn't know some of these were connected, but evidence seems straightforward from what I've seen and my own experiences with it so I agree.

Back