• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Granolah, Gas, the Infinite, and the Faster Infinite.

This isn't particularly an upgrade thread, but more along the lines of handling a feat that was going to be handled before but was postponed for more context, which I believe we have now that Dragon Ball Super has finished the arc.

In particular, it's a feat where Granolah, a new character within the series who has Instant Teleportation faster than Instant Transmission, and proceeds to react/predict, and attack a character with identical or superior speed Instant Teleportation ability to Granolah himself. Instant Transmission is commonly accepted to be Instanteous Teleportation on this site and not scale to their speed, but this is a clear feat for Granolah.

I'm fine with Outlier note, (although it'd be odd to do since this is restricted to the top tiers of the verse who have been wished to be the strongest in the Universe and only scale to the strongest-Being Goku in TUI, Vegeta in UE after being fueled up (debatable), Granolah, Gas, and Frieza, (form the feat is performed in is unknown, but generally assumed to be Black Frieza).

Or specifically combat speed rating, since Gas explicitly takes 20 minutes to fly across the Universe back to Planet Cereal, so it clearly doesn't scale to flight, (which is odd considering Dragon Ball explicitly has flight compare to combat speed prior, which means this could be chalked up to Gas not flying at top speed to save stamina, a concept that has been brought up before in both Cell and Frieza Sagas, and even in Buu Saga with Videl.)

Or a full Upgrade (which this thread isn't really for, but it's an option, one that is again, odd considering Gas' flight speed).

(Both of these include the chance of likely, potentially/possibly, etc.)

Or a reduction of how we treat Instant Transmission (another odd choice due to how Instant Transmission is consistently depicted throughout all of Dragon Ball as instant teleportation.)

Either way Staff and others pick, the feat in itself has to be indexed and dealt with eventually.

Depending on the options, it'd possibly look like:

1) Note: Despite Granolah, Gas, Frieza, Goku, and Vegeta all potentially scaling to this feat, this site considers this an outlier due to how flight speed and combat speed is consistently portrayed as fairly equal or approximate to each other, and Gas is explicitly noted to take twenty minutes to reach Planet Cereal from across the universe, revealing an discrepenacy in abilities. This is futher solidified by the fact the feat in itself currently has no other consistent feats alongside this outside of debatable non-canon material, (Dragon Ball Heroes/Dragon Ball Xenoverse) which is not utilized for the canon scaling of Dragon Ball characters.

2) Speed : Massively FTL+ Flight Speed, (possibly/likely) Infinite Combat Speed (scales to Granolah, who reacted and attacked to a faster Instant Transmission in the time Gas took to disappear and reappear.)

3) The above without Flight and Combat, maybe a note distinguishing that Flight Speed and Combat Speed do scale and is only accessed in short bursts, as once discussed in Damage's Flight and Combat speed separation thread that's covering only DBZ as far as I'm aware.

So something like:

Note: While Flight Speed and Combat Speed in Dragon Ball are usually comparable and relative, there are many discrepenacies that are noted between moments when characters should cross relatively minor distances near instantly, thus this wiki creates the distinction of flight speed in actual threads as something that occurs in short bursts akin to Piccolo's statements in the Android and Saiyan Sagas, with enlongated use tiring out the User, as discussed in the Buu, Cell, and Frieza Sagas by characters such as Krillin on Namek, Goku to Gohan on the way to the Cell Games, and potentially Videl in the Buu Saga.

Option 4 is something that would have to be discussed in depth, as such a drastic change in interpretation to what Instant Transmission has always been considered would be near blasphemous to some, and isn't something I'm even arguing for or would know how to change the parameters on, especially given the overwhelming evidence AGAINST such an interpretation.

Instant Transmission (瞬しゅん間かん移い動どう, Shunkan Idō, lit. "Instantaneous Movement", also translated as "Teleportation")

Instant Transmission isn't moving at instant speed or accepted to be moving at that speed in the site from what I remember. We have nothing on how fast it actually is other than it makes Goku move at the speed of light that we don't accept for being too slow.

Instant transmission needs to have proof that it takes 0 amount of time to teleport from one place to the other and it has none. Some argue that the english naming of it's name has "Instant" in it's name, but Instant can mean "a very short space of time; a moment.".

Goku teleportation could take him 0.1 seconds for him to teleport. Granolah and Gas have a better teleportation speed and could take 0.05 seconds for them to teleporting. Making them much better than Goku at teleportation.

I stand by my previous opinion on this subject, which is what SummerBlue said above.

Instant Transmission isn't any different from other forms of teleportation commonly seen in fiction, and naming aside, nothing proves it takes 0 time.
Hence, I still think Granola's just a better form of teleportation.

"Instant" doesn't necessarily means zero time, it's just too short of a timeframe for us to notice or react to, so no Infinite speed

And considering how fast everyone in DB are, it would definitely seem like "instant" to most people. And that's not to talk about blitzes where the characters appear to move from one location to other "instantly" (Goku VS Ginyu Force is a good example of that)

Considering this is the manga, would multiple instances of Instant Transmission users disappearing and re-appearing in the same panel be proof of it taking zero time?

Considering this is the manga, would multiple instances of Instant Transmission users disappearing and re-appearing in the same panel be proof of it taking zero time?
Why would it?
Time can pass even withing a single panel, take for example those where characters leave afterimages or are shown clashing in multiple spots at the same time to better convey the feeling of speed.

Why would it?
Time can pass even withing a single panel, take for example those where characters leave afterimages or are shown clashing in multiple spots at the same time to better convey the feeling of speed.
So is Kai Kai done by Shin also isnt zero time?

Well, even though teleportation isn't infinite, it still has great feats that can be scaled to granola and others.

Instant Transmition is not instantaneous in dematerialization and rematerialization, which is what Granolah reacted to.

I don't think that this proves infinite combat speed.

The time for the actually journey is instant, but the disappearing/reappearing part does take a tiny amount of time.
It takes substantial amount of time. Cell's Kamehameha wave managed to travel outside of the planet before Goku rematerialized completely in the manga.

i wasnt finding a speciifc word- stop twisting my words 💀

nothing on that ******* page said or implied that I.T is infinite in A to B movement

i wasnt finding a speciifc word- stop twisting my words 💀

nothing on that ******* page said or implied that I.T is infinite in A to B movement
i did, not once did it mention the word "infinite" on that page
Sure buddy.

"It allows the user to travel distances instantly". The speed isn't infinite because you're not crossing any actual distance, don't blame us for your misunderstanding on*the basic concepts of movement.*

Sure buddy.

"It allows the user to travel distances instantly". The speed isn't infinite because you're not crossing any actual distance, don't blame us for your misunderstanding on*the basic concepts of movement.*
people have already refuted this in the beginning of the thread, instantaneous doesn't equate to infinite movement

Please refer to the Instant Transmition Page on Dragon Ball Wiki, which links all it's sources.

All the links in that page are for referencing where or when a character used instant transmission in a game or in the anime from what I found. Could you please give a source stating that Instant Transmission is infinite in point A to B movement?

The word "Instant" isn't enough by the way. Instant means by definition "a precise moment of time" or "a very short space of time; a moment." A moment is already far too slow for infinite speed. After all infinite speed is the ability to move an infinite distance in zero amount of time.

The time it takes an Instant to move is equal to or greater than the smallest moment in time. The time it takes for instant speed to move is 0.

Also reminder that "Infinite Speed" is a term created by this site. Goku can have a statement that he's moving at infinite speed in canon but unless the feat matches what the term Infinite speed means on this site it doesn't matter.

people have already refuted this in the beginning of the thread, instantaneous doesn't equate to infinite movement
It would just that they wouldn't appear in the place they teleported instantly. They would be there instantly but their body hasn't reformed there.

People are blind on this site. I quite literally said there is no infinite speed taking place because you are not physically crossing the space between the two points.

To clear up a few misconceptions

I'm fairly neutral. As stated in the OP, this isn't an Upgrade attempt.

It's a Content Revision that specifically highlights and classifies a feat that has been ignored for context we now have access to since the arc is over.

That said, I think a few things should be noted.

Moving faster than Instant Transmission was being talked about as potentially infinite due to the guidebook statements on the technique, and the movement by Granolah, whether intended or not, is clearly faster than whatever "Faster Instant Transmission" is.

(He reacts, predicts, and moves in between the time Gas disappears and reappears. Even if we assume the travel itself is what is instant and the reappearing is not, he still managed to attack before the actual "trip" was being completed to begin with, as his leg is moving entirely towards Gas would be in a moment.)

That said, if we were to take the Cell example, which does have substantial time taken away from reappearance, then this is technically recified. However, if we were to do so, it's still not going to add up, as Granolah's ability, whatever it is, is explicitly faster than IT in general.

This means that for all intents and purposes it may not have this same hitch, but that's speculation at best. For our purposes, it'd simply make the technique "unquantifably faster" and that Instant Transmission is in itself is simply unquantifably faster than standard speed.

But, playing Devil's Advocate for a bit

That one usage contradicts most depictions of it's use, as after the arc it was introduced in, being Androids-Cell, its use was far more streamlined to be a technique that instantly traversed across galaxies, the living world, and across the universe. Even later in the Granolah Arc, Goku and Gas pretty liberally use it to travel across the universe and they're just suddenly appearing in the air for others to react to after the fact, with even and regardless of if you distinguish trip or reappearance, given the fact the distance being traveled is relatively short, this implies that the travel of between a few meters would take more time than a slower version of the technique that has Goku reappear nearly the same moment from Beerus' Planet to Earth, a vastly further distance. (If we were to distinguish it as a substantial amount of time for reappearance and the travel itself being instantaneous.)

This is especally true considering Gas can take a two to three panels, and even still appear in the same instance GOKU HIMSELF DOES.

And this almost occurs again, where Gas explicitly takes the time to look, concentrate, and TALK, but he appears only SLIGHTLY BEHIND GOKU.

And even when Goku explicitly warps first, they appear at the same time. With the only exception being when Gas lets a beam fully run it's course first, and then he arrives a page late.

So I can definitely see both sides of this debate.

It's just a matter of which is more convincing, which can be decided through deliberation-Which is what this thread is for to begin with.

See, this is why you don't play Devil's advocate. I'm about to ruin this person's whole career. (Just kidding, but I'll answer to this tomorrow, it was quite redundant imo)

To clear up a few misconceptions

I'm fairly neutral. As stated in the OP, this isn't an Upgrade attempt.

It's a Content Revision that specifically highlights and classifies a feat that has been ignored for context we now have access to since the arc is over.

That said, I think a few things should be noted.

Moving faster than Instant Transmission was being talked about as potentially infinite due to the guidebook statements on the technique, and the movement by Granolah, whether intended or not, is clearly faster than whatever "Faster Instant Transmission" is.

(He reacts, predicts, and moves in between the time Gas disappears and reappears. Even if we assume the travel itself is what is instant and the reappearing is not, he still managed to attack before the actual "trip" was being completed to begin with, as his leg is moving entirely towards Gas would be in a moment.)

That said, if we were to take the Cell example, which does have substantial time taken away from reappearance, then this is technically recified. However, if we were to do so, it's still not going to add up, as Granolah's ability, whatever it is, is explicitly faster than IT in general.

This means that for all intents and purposes it may not have this same hitch, but that's speculation at best. For our purposes, it'd simply make the technique "unquantifably faster" and that Instant Transmission is in itself is simply unquantifably faster than standard speed.

That one usage contradicts most depictions of it's use, as after the arc it was introduced in, being Androids-Cell, its use was far more streamlined to be a technique that instantly traversed across galaxies, the living world, and across the universe. Even later in the Granolah Arc, Goku and Gas pretty liberally use it to travel across the universe and they're just suddenly appearing in the air for others to react to after the fact, with even and regardless of if you distinguish trip or reappearance, given the fact the distance being traveled is relatively short, this implies that the travel of between a few meters would take more time than a slower version of the technique that has Goku reappear nearly the same moment from Beerus' Planet to Earth, a vastly further distance. (If we were to distinguish it as a substantial amount of time for reappearance and the travel itself being instantaneous.)

This is especally true considering Gas can take a two to three panels, and even still appear in the same instance GOKU HIMSELF DOES.

And this almost occurs again, where Gas explicitly takes the time to look, concentrate, and TALK, but he appears only SLIGHTLY BEHIND GOKU.

And even when Goku explicitly warps first, they appear at the same time. With the only exception being when Gas lets a beam fully run it's course first, and then he arrives a page late.

So I can definitely see both sides of this debate.

It's just a matter of which is more convincing, which can be decided through deliberation-Which is what this thread is for to begin with.
Instant is not Infinite speed. Taking a moment to teleport is infinitely slower than taking no time at all.

Also Granolah's reaction speed <<< Gas's reaction speed. A much faster and stronger Gas than the one that Granolah fought was grabbed by base Vegeta, trolled around the universe by Blueku, seen by the rest of the heaters as he fought, and angrily took 20 minutes to travel back to the planet Goku, Vegeta, and the Heaters were on. The Granolah saga is full of anti feats.

No guidebook states that the technique is infinite.
No he didn't.

That is simply false, I don't have any eloquent counter. He attacked where the teleporter would rematerialize in, meaning his presence was already there, thus, the trip was completed.
The cell example isn't an "if", it's objective proof that the teleportation is not infinite. Being faster than that isn't even MFTL+ per se.

This is deflecting. The instant transmission takes the exact same timeframe to travel any given distance, it's not based on distance in the first place, it's just space repositioning. Pointing out it has been travelling large distances is a non-point.

Which is why this whole reply is the silliest thing ever. I wouldn't consider it valid

No guidebook states that the technique is infinite.

I’m referring to this thread: https://vsbattles.com/threads/what-speed-is-moving-in-an-infinitesimal-moment-in-time.129528/

And I don’t mean a guide saying IT is infinite, but rather that physically outpacing what Instant Transmission is, which is what was discussed.

No he didn't.

That is simply false, I don't have any eloquent counter. He attacked where the teleporter would rematerialize in, meaning his presence was already there, thus, the trip was completed.
False, as Granolah states earlier he uses his eyes to observe someone’s dodging and blood flow and then learn where to strike and find weak points. In order for him to have “Predicted,” Gas—Not reacted to and attacked the presence of, but predicted, and capitalize on this opening, the very act of Gas using instant teleportation to move his body has to be what he’s observing and attacked at, not Gas’ presence reappearing in the universe—Otherwise he’s reacting. Funnily enough, this method you describe is what Super 17 utilizes to counter Instant Transmission.
The cell example isn't an "if", it's objective proof that the teleportation is not infinite. Being faster than that isn't even MFTL+ per se.
You misunderstand—I don’t mean if it exists. I mean if we accept it as the official reasoning, since there are varying uses across Dragon Ball’s run that conflict with this one instance of Instant Transmission having substantial wait time for dematerializing and rematerializing.
This is deflecting. The instant transmission takes the exact same timeframe to travel any given distance, it's not based on distance in the first place, it's just space repositioning. Pointing out it has been travelling large distances is a non-point.
I’m referring to specifically the phrasing “The travel is instant, the materialization is what takes time.” If only the travel is instant, the rematerialization’s time should not vary—But it clearly does between the example of Cell’s Kamehameha versus a much larger distance of Goku across the universe, or even in this arc. So if the reappearance isn’t uniform, then this would then imply shorter distances of travel would take more time than vastly longer ones.

Essentially, it’s supposed to point out the implications based on how this would treat Instant Transmission based on this premise. (Not saying it’s wrong, just mentioning such.)
Which is why this whole reply is the silliest thing ever. I wouldn't consider it valid
I mean, you do you. Shrug.

Last edited:
I’m referring to this thread: https://vsbattles.com/threads/what-speed-is-moving-in-an-infinitesimal-moment-in-time.129528/

And I don’t mean a guide saying IT is infinite, but rather that physically outpacing what Instant Transmission is, which is what was discussed.
This is sophism at it's finest. No, neither outpacing nor the technique have any sort of relation with infinity.
False, as Granolah states earlier he uses his eyes to observe someone’s dodging and blood flow and then learn where to strike and find weak points. In order for him to have “Predicted,” Gas—Not reacted to and attacked the presence of, but predicted, and capitalize on this opening, the very act of Gas using instant teleportation to move his body has to be what he’s observing and attacked at, not Gas’ presence reappearing in the universe—Otherwise he’s reacting. Funnily enough, this method you describe is what Super 17 utilizes to counter Instant Transmission.
Then Granolah reacted, not predicted. The fact he has a way of reading one's movement through physical observation has no bearings on a reaction feat that involves no physical travel. Your point is literally non-existent.

I'd also like to say, Granolah might've simply predicted right before Gas finished dematerializing, which does in fact refute the hypothesis outright.
You misunderstand—I don’t mean if it exists. I mean if we accept it as the official reasoning, since there are varying uses across Dragon Ball’s run that conflict with this one instance of Instant Transmission having substantial wait time for dematerializing and rematerializing.
There is not. Most of them, in Anime, use about the same timeframe and animation to represent dematerializing or rematerializing.
I’m referring to specifically the phrasing “The travel is instant, the materialization is what takes time.” If only the travel is instant, the rematerialization’s time should not vary—But it clearly does between the example of Cell’s Kamehameha versus a much larger distance of Goku across the universe, or even in this arc. So if the reappearance isn’t uniform, then this would then imply shorter distances of travel would take more time than vastly longer ones.
Yes, it is. None of your examples are either measurable, or contradictory with the Cell example. To tackle them in a single swoop; even if Goku used his IT and reappeared multiple times in multiple places at once, that would be possible by reactivating the technique before he fully materialized again, something he often does.

The Cell example also only works as objective and irrefutable evidence that there is a timeframe between the start and ending of the technique. If you want to argue what the timeframe is, it changes nothing about my point.

Could Cell’s Kamehameha have a minimum calculable minimum speed in that case if one were to find the maximum timeframe for reappearing after IT?

Could Cell’s Kamehameha have a minimum calculable minimum speed in that case if one were to find the maximum timeframe for reappearing after IT?

We probably can but it'll be much much slower than Goku's current speed rating and people will have to agree to downgrade the speed rating of DBS.

Remember Cell is only a bit into Massively FTL+ while a random saiyan in U6 that learned Super Saiyan in a day is considered to be faster than at least 196 quadrillion times the speed of light along with everyone in the tournament of power that battled base Goku.

This is sophism at it's finest. No, neither outpacing nor the technique have any sort of relation with infinity.
No? In order for this to be sophism, I’d have to be lying to you about what was discussed in the thread. Which you can check yourself and find out I’m not. As said before, I’m literally referring to the what was discussed.
Then Granolah reacted, not predicted. The fact he has a way of reading one's movement through physical observation has no bearings on a reaction feat that involves no physical travel. Your point is literally non-existent.

I'd also like to say, Granolah might've simply predicted right before Gas finished dematerializing, which does in fact refute the hypothesis outright.

He explicitly utilizes his fighting Style to predict, so no? And if Granolah predicted right before he finished materializing—Which is unlikely because his eye only flicks to where Gas will be AFTER he finishes whiffing—Then yeah, it would.

There is not. Most of them, in Anime, use about the same timeframe and animation to represent dematerializing or rematerializing.
No. Cell’s Kamehameha was able to make it to space before he reappears. There was virtually no time taken with travel to Earth from Beerus’ planet, or across planets this arc. You’d have to be blatantly lying to say the disappearance time between that entire beam is congruent with any of the examples I provided.
Yes, it is. None of your examples are either measurable, or contradictory with the Cell example. To tackle them in a single swoop; even if Goku used his IT and reappeared multiple times in multiple places at once, that would be possible by reactivating the technique before he fully materialized again, something he often does.
But it would still be quicker than the re-materialization again Cell, which is what I’m highlighting. There would be a vast disparity between the the time taken Cell vanish and it’s showings for vastly more impressive distances.
The Cell example also only works as objective and irrefutable evidence that there is a timeframe between the start and ending of the technique. If you want to argue what the timeframe is, it changes nothing about my point.
I’m not saying otherwise, rather that if we take this example explicitly above the others, a disparity is formed that we still have to account for.

Last edited:
Back