• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(GRACE) L plays a Card Game (L vs. D'Arby)

D'Arby is a horrible gambler, he literally almost had a heart attack when he got bluffed once.

Ogbunabali said:
D'Arby is a horrible gambler, he literally almost had a heart attack when he got bluffed once.
Would you not have a heart attack if losing meant that a 8-C Vampire with the ability to stop time was going to come kill you? It was not a random bluff in a normal gamble. D'arby has feats of beating several people, enough to make a book out of their souls.

Ogbunabali said:
It wasn't cuz of the bluff, it was because of the stakes. It is because he feared the consequences of leaking DIO's info so much. Jotaro had raised him more souls then he could match, so to call him the "thing of equivolent value" was info on The World. He was too affraid of the slightest chance that he would leak DIO's info by obligation, that he broke down. It more demonstrates how much he feared DIO

True the circumstances were very stressful, I don't disagree. But fact of the matter is he fell for a bluff.

No, he didn't fall for it, at least not the bluff itself. He knew in his head that there was no way Jotaro had the proper hand, but his nerves got the better of him. He was literally coughing and sputtering over through his pannick attack trying to say the word "call." But he passed out before he got the chance

Iapitus The Impaler said:
No, he didn't fall for it, at least not the bluff itself. He knew in his head that there was no way Jotaro had the proper hand, but his nerves got the better of him. He was literally coughing and sputtering over through his pannick attack trying to say the word "call." But he passed out before he got the chance
Yes, because he fell for the bluff. Even his stand knew that he admitted defeat in his soul.

But he didn't fall for the bluff. His nerves got the better of him, but he knew that Jotaro didn't have jack shit in his hand. The one in a million chance got too much for his nerves tho, since he feared DIO too much

^kira sent L on several bluff trips if I recall. Including one where he reveals about shinigami and apples. So even if L can guess about cheating he mightnt necessarily prove it.

So the vote is five to four in one of my closest threads yet apparently. L still only needs two while D'Arby needs 4

His soul leaving the body, is him admiting defeat. Otherwise his soul wouldn't have left his body.

Poker is literally all about bluffs. L beats him on better deductive skills, superior profiling and much better intelligence. L would immediately notice if D'Arby cheats, and considering he has already dealt with invisible gods of death, the idea of an invisible creature that D'Arby uses is not beyond him, if D'Arby uses that to cheat.

And in this case D'Arby doesn't have the comfort of having all his back up plans, so him breaking down psychologically, is much more likely. Not to mention D'Arby doesn't have feats of cheating without prep, I'm pretty sure.

^True if you have fair play.

We are talking about sleight of hands. L isn't good at that, he couldn't catch Kira in the act during potato chip scene even though he had several cameras in one small bedroom.

L isn't clairvoyant even if he is excellent detective. And use of invisble creature isn't same as deathnote, after all changing the card could be attributed to luck.

And finally that breakdown happened in case of a painful death, L doesn't have that option.

Getting D'arby to admit in his heart that he cannot call only works if the steaks are high enough

He has feats of cheating without prep against Joseph. He did not prepare for that game.

The potato chip scene has absolutely nothing to do with sleight of hands. L knowing that supernatural things exist does help, because now he will attribute that into his deduction (like he did at the beginning of Death Note but he dismissed it because he didn't believe in supernatural things, but now he knows they exist). Actually if D'Arby loses his Stand will take away his soul.

Simple tricks like that won't work on L. I mean look at the tennis scene.

Eficiente said:
Competitive Smash and Yu-Gi-Oh! in a nutshell.
Card games like Yu-Gi-Oh! Almost never rely on luck competitively, and if your deck does, then it means that your deck consistency is very questionable.

DMB 1 said:
Eficiente said:
Competitive Smash and Yu-Gi-Oh! in a nutshell.
Card games like Yu-Gi-Oh! Almost never rely on luck competitively, and if your deck does, then it means that your deck consistency is very questionable.
Card games such as Yu-Gi-Oh and Hearthstone say hi.

Hell, even MTG is fairly luck-based, and that's the most skillful TCG I can think of.

Regardless, I'm not really feeling up for arguing this thread, but I'll maintain my vote.

Ogbunabali said:
The potato chip scene has absolutely nothing to do with sleight of hands. L knowing that supernatural things exist does help, because now he will attribute that into his deduction (like he did at the beginning of Death Note but he dismissed it because he didn't believe in supernatural things, but now he knows they exist). Actually if D'Arby loses his Stand will take away his soul.
Simple tricks like that won't work on L. I mean look at the tennis scene.
Kira wrote names under L's nose, had L proved the existence of camera and paper sheet inside that potato chips he would have won. And he couldn't do that despite having several cameras.

Sure but that won't change the outcome. Either in original Deathnote or in this poker game. In the end L fell for far simpler thing. The belief that shinigami existed or not wouldn;t have changed the outcome at that point of story. Plus even if he did have one he would still have to prove it.

And Tennis match? you mean where he hits ball at Ryuk?

If you wanna make a deck competitively viable in Yu-Gi-Oh!, you are gonna have to constantly be able to access most cards of your deck with most of your searching cards, and be able to draw as much as possible. And even when you manage to pull something out of you a$$, if it does work, most of the time it the opponent will be able to back it up.

So luck isn't really that much of a factor 9/10.

Before he knew that the Death Note was the one doing it. That's false equivalence, it would be a good comparison if L knew about the Death Note or if L didn't know they were playing poker.

DMB 1 said:
If you wanna make a deck competitively viable in Yu-Gi-Oh!, you are gonna have to constantly be able to access most cards of your deck with most of your searching cards, and be able to draw as much as possible. And even when you manage to pull something out of you a$$, if it does work, most of the time it the opponent will be able to back it up.
So luck isn't really that much of a factor 9/10.
Pretty much all of Yu-Gi-Oh! is "Oh, did I draw in a way that lets me splurge my deck and win on the first/second turn? I did? Okay, guess I win."

Yu-Gi-Oh isn't exactly a skillful game, imo. It heavily lacks interaction with the opponent and decks are excessively degenerate, to the point in which your opening hand can virtually dictate if you win or lose.

^Ryuk wasn't killing those people. The note was.

And changing cards thanks to stand is much more difficult to detect than a dead person for sure.

I haven't played Yu Gi Oh for years. I don't know how the game is right now, but it did require some skill the last time I played it (when Six Samurai came out).

Ogbunabali said:
I haven't played Yu Gi Oh for years. I don't know how the game is right now, but it did require some skill the last time I played it (when Six Samurai came out).
I played against my friend once and I got destroyed on the second turn it's actually bullshit now

Jackythejack said:
Ogbunabali said:
I played against my friend once and I got destroyed on the second turn it's actually bullshit now
When a friend was teaching me, well..

Turns out, both learning the complex mechanics, reading the absurdly long and tiny paragraphs of text, and keeping up with 10 cards a turn is a wee bit hard.

Back