• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

It's pretty inconsistent actually when he does breathe underwater in Ragnarok. And he survives in places like the spark of the world.
Well in Ragnarok he could be just holding the breath underwater.

And as for surviving in spark of world, writers probably didn't imagine that as him being able to breathe in space.

So I just noticed the new upgrades for Athena and PoH Kratos to Low 1-C. I'm a bit against it not cuz of the statements made by Cory Balrog or questioning whether or not she'd ascended to a higher plane of existence, but because it makes her actions in the story really confusing. If she was really so insurmountably more powerful than any of the other Gods to the point she jumps three ******* tiers, why did she need to use Kratos in the first place to kill Zeus? Couldn't she have done it herself? What exactly did she need Kratos for? Like couldn't she have just killed him earlier before he'd unlocked the Power of Hope from inside of him?

So I just noticed the new upgrades for Athena and PoH Kratos to Low 1-C. I'm a bit against it not cuz of the statements made by Cory Balrog or questioning whether or not she'd ascended to a higher plane of existence, but because it makes her actions in the story really confusing. If she was really so insurmountably more powerful than any of the other Gods to the point she jumps three ******* tiers, why did she need to use Kratos in the first place to kill Zeus? Couldn't she have done it herself? What exactly did she need Kratos for? Like couldn't she have just killed him earlier before he'd unlocked the Power of Hope from inside of him?
She's a manipulator. It's what she does. I've seen people try to justify the Great Evils be greater than her because of that reasoning as well.

This argument doesn't really work because she's already above the gods to an insurmountable degree by sheer virtue of upscaling above Fear and the Great Evils. Like, the actual tier difference is irrelevant since even in 2-C, she could oneshot Zeus. The Low 1-C upgrade didn't change that.

To elaborate, she wanted to use Kratos to release Hope for her to use and at the same time manipulate him into wiping out the Olympians so no other being remained besides herself. Considering the fact that dissipating the Flame of Olympus didn't even weaken Zeus, it's very likely she lied entirely about that as well. And she didn't know that Hope was already inside him, the entire plot revolves around the erroneous assumption on her end that the Great Evils were what empowered Kratos and that Hope was still inside the box.

I thought it was just because she wanted Kratos to get the PoH for her since she couldn't touch the flames of olympus

Edit: ninja'd

I thought it was just because she wanted Kratos to get the PoH for her since she couldn't touch the flames of olympus

Edit: ninja'd
Honestly, even this is weird. Since like, she had Pandora with her at some point and presumably should've been aware that all she needed to do was chuck her into the Flames of Olympus.

When Athena evolved into higher existence, she saw all the truth in that realm and Kratos had to fight Zeus(Fear) to unlock the key to hope. Athena knew that Zeus was frightened, so she put the two of them in a position to fight. This was because she wanted the power of hope for the hierarchy she would create. That's why, she's a manipulator.

Also in Pandora's box, Hope and Fear were mutually repressive forces.

When Athena evolved into higher existence, she saw all the truth in that realm and Kratos had to fight Zeus to unlock the key to hope. Athena knew that Zeus was frightened, so she put the two of them in a position to fight. This was because she wanted the power of hope for the hierarchy she would create. That's why, she's a manipulator.
Er, no. She was entirely blindsided by the fact that Hope was actually within Kratos already. Like, the whole point of the ending was that she was wrong about Kratos drawing strength from the dark powers.

Honestly, even this is weird. Since like, she had Pandora with her at some point and presumably should've been aware that all she needed to do was chuck her into the Flames of Olympus.
I would guess that, in the dev's minds, Athena couldn't interact with the lower plane outside of giving powers/energy/etc...

Er, no. She was entirely blindsided by the fact that Hope was actually within Kratos already. Like, the whole point of the ending was that she was wrong about Kratos drawing strength from the dark powers.
That's it. Hope was always inside Kratos, but to unlock Hope, he had to face fear because fear was not a force that could be countered with willpower. It was Athena who did it. It was she who manipulated Kratos.

I would guess that, in the dev's minds, Athena couldn't interact with the lower plane outside of giving powers/energy/etc...
She could telekinetically move Pandora around though. Really, she just didn't seem to have thought of doing it herself. Though, it's entirely possible that she just... didn't want to do it herself and wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone.

One thing I find interesting is how much of a blind spot the Great Evils are to Athena. Not only could she not sense them within the gods but she had no idea of the power boost they granted considering she thought Kratos needed all of them just to beat Ares yet Fear alone could wallop his peak godly self.

This argument doesn't really work because she's already above the gods to an insurmountable degree by sheer virtue of upscaling above Fear and the Great Evils. Like, the actual tier difference is irrelevant since even in 2-C, she could oneshot Zeus. The Low 1-C upgrade didn't change that.

To elaborate, she wanted to use Kratos to release Hope for her to use and at the same time manipulate him into wiping out the Olympians so no other being remained besides herself. Considering the fact that dissipating the Flame of Olympus didn't even weaken Zeus, it's very likely she lied entirely about that as well. And she didn't know that Hope was already inside him, the entire plot revolves around the erroneous assumption on her end that the Great Evils were what empowered Kratos and that Hope was still inside the box.
It's still weird why she'd need Kratos to kill the Gods when she could do it herself. And your argument that she needed the Power of Hope from inside Kratos, she didn't know Hope was still inside of Kratos. She could've just tried to take the Power of Hope from inside the box herself, then realize it wasn't there. Seems odd she went through all these hurdles if the power gap was so large.

That's it. Hope was always inside Kratos, but to unlock Hope, he had to face fear because fear was not a force that could be countered with willpower. It was Athena who did it. It was she who manipulated Kratos.
......Except we blatantly get shown that she didn't know about this. Like, we can speculate that she manipulated Kratos but that's all it is. We get shown by the game itself that she was wrong in her assumption.

It's still weird why she'd need Kratos to kill the Gods when she could do it herself. And your argument that she needed the Power of Hope from inside Kratos, she didn't know Hope was still inside of Kratos. She could've just tried to take the Power of Hope from inside the box herself, then realize it wasn't there. Seems odd she went through all these hurdles if the power gap was so large.
I mean, you seem to think it was some great undertaking of hers for some reason.

Dude, she's been dead for like half an hour by the time the war started. She shows up and sees Kratos fighting Olympus and decides to do the easiest thing and just direct him to the box and Zeus, fix his Blades and just wait for 1 day. It was literally no effort for her.

Athena deadass didn't know that Kratos took in Hope at the beginning. She was under the assumptions she drew from the Great Evils to destroy Ares and that Hope remained locked inside, but she finally realized what actually went down by the end of GoW3, she even hounds Kratos to tell her how the hell he managed to re-unlock Hope to its fullest potential from inside of him in the end.

......Except we blatantly get shown that she didn't know about this. Like, we can speculate that she manipulated Kratos but that's all it is. We get shown by the game itself that she was wrong in her assumption.
But I don't know if there is a more logical interpretation than this one we made. Because Athena wanted to protect Zeus at the cost of her life before higher existence, but she said that after evolving into higher existence, Zeus must die. She told us that the reason for this was the reality she saw in higher existence.

One thing I find interesting is how much of a blind spot the Great Evils are to Athena. Not only could she not sense them within the gods but she had no idea of the power boost they granted considering she thought Kratos needed all of them just to beat Ares yet Fear alone could wallop his peak godly self.
The great evils amp prob depends on the person and situation, like, Zeus was the most paranoid to begin with, and after seeing the world being destroyed by Kratos he was just consumed by fear.

But I don't know if there is a more logical interpretation than this one we made. Because Athena wanted to protect Zeus at the cost of her life before higher existence, but she said that after evolving into higher existence, Zeus must die. She told us that the reason for this was the reality she saw in higher existence.
It could literally just be that she didn't want to do it herself.

The Higher Plane corrupted her when she ascended and her power reached that level. But her nature as a schemer and manipulator was present even before her death, she was just benevolent with it.

It's honestly not that complicated. She thought Hope was still in the Box. And Kratos was already on the warpath so she had to just have one conversation and sit back and let him do her dirty work.

It could literally just be that she didn't want to do it herself.

The Higher Plane corrupted her when she ascended and her power reached that level. But her nature as a schemer and manipulator was present even before her death, she was just benevolent with it.

It's honestly not that complicated. She thought Hope was still in the Box. And Kratos was already on the warpath so she had to just have one conversation and sit back and let him do her dirty work.
Ehhhhhh... Well, although this is not the most correct interpretation in my opinion, it can also be interpreted that way.

Ehhhhhh... Well, although this is not the most correct interpretation in my opinion, it can also be interpreted that way.
Bro, do you want me to pull up the ending cutscene where she dead-ass has the epiphany that Hope was inside Kratos not the box?

Bro, do you want me to pull up the ending cutscene where she dead-ass has the epiphany that Hope was inside Kratos not the box?
Bruh... I think you misunderstood me (Or I misunderstood you.) What I said was for Athena evolving into higher existence. Because the evolved Athena said that Kratos had the power of hope after opening Pandora's box. I have no idea why you're still objecting.

Bruh... I think you misunderstood me (Or I misunderstood you.) What I said was for Athena evolving into higher existence. Because the evolved Athena said that Kratos had the power of hope after opening Pandora's box. I have no idea why you're still objecting.
Do you mean during the end of the game? Then yeah, that makes sense.

I thought you meant that she knew all along, which wouldn't make sense since we got a whole cutscene of Athena assuming the Evils were with Kratos.

i remember in GoW 2018 kratos has magic/items that able to reduce enemies level around him passively. I guess AD negation for kratos ?

Back