• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Japanese, Mayan, Christianity (yes, controversial, I know, this is coming from a Christian), Egyptian, and maybe explaining Roman mythology.
Well other franchises like Digimon (with the Seven Demon lords) and Shin Megami Tensei has Christianity so it wouldn’t be too far fetched if God of War does it at some point. I guess the only controversial thing would be calling it a mythology.

Yeah. Besides, people disrespect Christianity all the time these days and mostly nobody gives a shit. I mean I don't think they should have Kratos kill Jesus or anything like that

GoW is a very mainstream game, ingrained into pop culture. The concept of GoW+Christianity would most likely be controversial, because it's a series about killing Gods. I think buddism or islamic religions being in GoW would be more controversial. Be cool to see them though

Yeah, perhaps. Buddhism and Islam, especially Islam, would be extremely controversial. Maybe they'll better off with little hints here and there. But it's unfortunate, Fights with Sampson, Leviathan, Michael, Lucifer, would be sick.

She likely scales somewhere in the upper levels of the pantheon, being the former leader of the Vanir gods. I just hope we see more of what her magic can do.

She likely scales somewhere in the upper levels of the pantheon, being the former leader of the Vanir gods. I just hope we see more of what her magic can do.
Very curious to see what she and Odin can do. Expecting some wild shot for them

The foreshadowing of Odin's obsession and skill with magic has me pumped for what abilities he'll showcase.

I also hope we'll get more info on the valkyries. I wanna see their profiles here.

The foreshadowing of Odin's obsession and skill with magic has me pumped for what abilities he'll showcase.
I'm hoping he has some crazy abstract stuff. Maybe he takes the shape of Zeus or Ares at one point to **** with us while summoning maelstroms of ravens or using his 18 chants.
I also hope we'll get more info on the valkyries. I wanna see their profiles here.
I think we definitely will since Freya is canonically their one true queen in lore and we already know a bit about Sigrun

Regarding Thor, how do you think it'll go down? I have a feeling he'll beat Kratos at first and perhaps kidnap Atreus and Kratos will have to find him while getting stronger.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Kratos folds Thor immediately but I doubt it'll happen like that.

I feel he'll be a massive threat. Probably be the first boss since Atlas to truly overwhelm Kratos
I can see us beating him with the Serpent or by exploiting some weakness but I'm unsure

Mimir says he's unsure whether Kratos can beat him or not so he's definitely gonna be one of the hardest fights of his life.
Yeah they're definitely pushing him as being an equal to Kratos and probably a major problem (which is odd because of Baldur but eh).
Depending on scaling he could be right up there with Zeus but we need to come to that after Ragnarok tho (feel free to ask me about it on Discod)
Though, I wish his design was more threatening lol.
TBH I'm torn
I think it fits this version of Thor quite well; this gluttonous manchild without discipline who relies on raw power and probably can't fight all that well. I definitely like the contrast with Kratos (whom trained for his muscle mass) since he probably was merry and enjoyed hedonism in Valhalla. You could also see it as putting him far beyond any glamorous ideas; reducing him to just this barbaric Thunder God.

That said I was hoping for something closer to Hafthor Bjornsson in build but I'm aslo a huge fan of depictions like these

Yeah they're definitely pushing him as being an equal to Kratos and probably a major problem (which is odd because of Baldur but eh).
Depending on scaling he could be right up there with Zeus but we need to come to that after Ragnarok tho (feel free to ask me about it on Discod)
Baldur was weird since he technically scales to Thor through Jorm and should he even harder to deal with due to his curse. Guess we'll see what the Thunder God has up his sleeves.
TBH I'm torn
I think it fits this version of Thor quite well; this gluttonous manchild without discipline who relies on raw power and probably can't fight all that well. I definitely like the contrast with Kratos (whom trained for his muscle mass) since he probably was merry and enjoyed hedonism in Valhalla. You could also see it as putting him far beyond any glamorous ideas; reducing him to just this barbaric Thunder God.

That said I was hoping for something closer to Hafthor Bjornsson in build but I'm aslo a huge fan of depictions like these
I actually think the design is very fitting, considering his characterization in the previous game. My issue with it is purely aesthetic and personal.

Also yeah, he seems to be more of a brute force fighter since most of the foes he's fought were simply bludgeoned to death by his hammer or just matched blow for blow.

Starkaotr was ironically too much for him in a one one one too.

Baldur was weird since he technically scales to Thor through Jorm and should he even harder to deal with due to his curse. Guess we'll see what the Thunder God has up his sleeves.
Hes weird more in the sense he takes out Jorm pretty easily and yet seemingly isn't as hyped as his big brother
I actually think the design is very fitting, considering his characterization in the previous game. My issue with it is purely aesthetic and personal.
Yeah I get that
Also yeah, he seems to be more of a brute force fighter since most of the foes he's fought were simply bludgeoned to death by his hammer or just matched blow for blow.
It'll be interesting to see Kratos have to compensate for someone being stronger then him
Starkaotr was ironically too much for him in a one one one too.
Starkath was a ******* G tho

Thor is definitely powerful, but his design does leave a lot to be desired in terms of being intimidating.
Mimir says he's unsure whether Kratos can beat him or not so he's definitely gonna be one of the hardest fights of his life. Though, I wish his design was more threatening lol.

Kratos being on the ropes cause of Big Chungus hits different.
To be fair, mimir only knows kratos from stories, he doesn't "actually" know how much of a monster kratos was in the old games.
While I don't deny thor might smack kratos around a good bit, idk if i'm willing to put thor above Zeus, or even on par with him. Obviously we have to see him on screen, but I'm expecting far more from Odin than Thor.

Yeah I follow Hafthor on Instagram, he's even bigger now. The funny thing is I have that exact same art in my phone. Thor looks really scary.
I'm hoping he has some crazy abstract stuff. Maybe he takes the shape of Zeus or Ares at one point to **** with us while summoning maelstroms of ravens or using his 18 chants.
I can see this. I believe in actual Norse mythology, he had a ring that could clone the user infinitely. Kinda like Zeus, would be a nice, and annoying throwback.

Also the Thor design Shananagans are dumb as ****. The way people are reacting to people who don't like it, Is ******* crazy lmao. I literally got on Twitter and simply said "not a fan of it, but I don't really care, can't wait to fight him, still gonna buy the game" and lot of people started saying I don't know anything about nOrsE MYthOlgY, and then, HaHa McU fAn,

And then some guy said, ''he's just a game character" I said "Really?" And then he blocked me lol.
It was actually funny as hell.

It's not accurate to Norse mythology, cause no one ever said he was fat, just that he ate a lot.

Especially considering how he's never depicted as fat in statues, classic artworks, and such, he's always muscular. Even then, when has gow ever cared about mythological accuracy?

But I honestly think they're playing for ***** and giggles and he doesn't actually look like that

Nah that's most likely how he looks, but Megingjörð most likely magically sucks all of it in seeing how he looks in game with all his gear on.

Lol yes. Irritating. That whole word is a joke. And This is coming from a fatty. And What I notice is usually they preserve that term for women. But that's a topic for another day

Yeah I follow Hafthor on Instagram, he's even bigger now. The funny thing is I have that exact same art in my phone. Thor looks really scary.
Yeah he got a lot of definition for boxing right?
I can see this. I believe in actual Norse mythology, he had a ring that could clone the user infinitely. Kinda like Zeus, would be a nice, and annoying throwback.
Huh can't remember that but it could be fun
Also the Thor design Shananagans are dumb as ****. The way people are reacting to people who don't like it, Is ******* crazy lmao. I literally got on Twitter and simply said "not a fan of it, but I don't really care, can't wait to fight him, still gonna buy the game" and lot of people started saying I don't know anything about nOrsE MYthOlgY, and then, HaHa McU fAn,
It's annoying because accuracy to mythology is dumb as hell. So much of what we know of Norse Myth is what Christian scholars passed down to us (I'm pretty sure the man and women after Raganarok was a biblical allusion) and none of the art really portrays Thor as being obese. Plus again, myth changes based on the teller and cultural context so we're probably looking at thousands of versions here (Medusa being assaulted by Poseidon was an invention of Ovid, a Roman scholar hundreds of years after Greece)
And then some guy said, ''he's just a game character" I said "Really?" And then he blocked me lol.
It was actually funny as hell.
Bruh
It's not accurate to Norse mythology, cause no one ever said he was fat, just that he ate a lot.
^^
Plus I doubt Monica is going for accuracy, they completely rewrote Greek Myth and have done their fair share of modifications to characters from Germanic mythology
Especially considering how he's never depicted as fat in statues, classic artworks, and such, he's always muscular. Even then, when has gow ever cared about mythological accuracy?
In fairness most of the art is from after the main Norse period but yeah it's not something treated as there
But I honestly think they're playing for ***** and giggles and he doesn't actually look like that
Hmm perhaps; it does feel weird they unveiled Thor so quickly

Yeah he got a lot of definition for boxing right?
Yeah .
He's also in the upcoming borderlands movie so that as well jacked him up
Huh can't remember that but it could be fun
Yeah, I read that somewhere a few years back. I seen it on a GOW Theory vid as well, before it was out.
It's annoying because accuracy to mythology is dumb as hell. So much of what we know of Norse Myth is what Christian scholars passed down to us (I'm pretty sure the man and women after Raganarok was a biblical allusion) and none of the art really portrays Thor as being obese. Plus again, myth changes based on the teller and cultural context so we're probably looking at thousands of versions here (Medusa being assaulted by Poseidon was an invention of Ovid, a Roman scholar hundreds of years after Greece)
Very ******* irritating. even beyond christians scholars (who already twisted Norse mythology) we know almost nothing about Norse mythology in the first place. The Vikings didn't really like recording their history. Absolutely. Their is 0 art that depicts Thor as Overweight. Only thing said is that he has a great appetite (strong men in real life eat all the time)

Bruh, I genuinely thought me and him were having playful interaction. I honestly really dislike social media.

^^
Plus I doubt Monica is going for accuracy, they completely rewrote Greek Myth and have done their fair share of modifications to characters from Germanic mythology
I know right? By this logic you might as well call out the entire series.

-There is no Kratos (there is a guy named cratos, but he just has the same name)

-There is no blade of Olympus

-Castor and Pollox weren't conjoined.

I could honestly go on and on. And that's just the Greek side

In fairness most of the art is from after the main Norse period but yeah it's not something treated as there
Yes. It's crazy. Maybe there's still depictions of Thor, yet to discovered, I bet a million bucks he won't be fat.
Hmm perhaps; it does feel weird they unveiled Thor so quickly
Maybe, but to be fair we knew we'd be fighting him, and they left us for almost a year.

But this fat Thor stuff is reminiscent of the "he actually had red hair" stuff.

You know he was once described as having hair "as fair as gold" and there's a few pieces of art that depicts him with lightly colored hair.
But this is much better than the fat Thor debate, because both have evidence behind them at least. He's also described as having red hair numerous times.

I bet these people didn't even know what Norse mythology was until this game came out, and all of sudden they're experts on it.

Man. I hate being a Sony fan sometimes.

Back