• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Geralt of Rivia - Small revision and potential Tier change.

Hello everyone

While Dargoo Faust did a very good job in his Mega Revison, I think he missed/overlooked certain feats and elements of Geralt's equipment. I would like to adress that things in order to (hopefully) improve Geralt's standing.

1. Bombs and Signs

First of all, I would like to adress the matter of Geralt's bomb. Across the games Geralt has used multiple different types of bombs, each of them having different effects. Let's get started:

2. Abilities

This section will be rather short:

1. I think Geralt should be listed as at least Expert Martial Artist. While gameplay mechanic of The Witcher and The Witcher 3 don't paint particulary flattering picture of Geralt's h2h skills, The Witcher h2h fightnig mechanic, based on Quick Time Events, shows Geralt performing fluid manuvers, including grabs, throws et. cet.

Across all three games, Geralt has defeated numerous established (or semi-established) opponents in unarmed combat. In fact he supposedly became the best fist fighter in the world way back in The Witcher.

After defeating Zdenek the second time, the quest "Fistfight" is complete with the following summerize appearing:

"I defeated the Champion of Champions. That makes me the world's best fist fighter.

I'm now the world's best fist fighter."

Then we have Geralt winning the fistfight tournament in Flotsam in The Witcher 2:

"There are only two towns worth visiting in the Pontar Valley: Bondar, famous for having the most beautiful ****** in the North, 'and Flotsam, for having the best fighting scene" ― The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Ziggy the King

Every fighter attending was at least semi-established. Needless to say, Geralt won the tournament.

In The Witcher 3 Geralt (aside from beating mulitple other fighters) killed a goddamn bear unarmed. And finally he beat a rock troll ("a very well-developed rock troll" according to Geralt) to unconsciousness, earning the title of Champion of Champions.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to convince you that Geralt is master martial artist capable of going skillwise against likes of Batman. Still, his h2h capabilities are considerable and deserve at least to be mentioned.

2. According to The Witcher Universe Compendium (do not confuse this with The World of the Witcher), witchers posses Limited Body Control. Quote as follows: "Witchers can also see in darkness and, thanks to the many modifications to their metabolism, are able to 'regulate the speed of their pulse and the flow of adrenaline, giving them unparalleled reflexes and strength'."

3. Blood and Wine mutations

In Blood and Wine expansion pack, Geralt can go through additional mutations. Quoting Proffesor Moreu:

"What I meant to cure him of his "witcherism", that which I meant to restore to him a normal life, only deepened his mutations, further augmented his speed and strength, rendered him yet more inHuman."

Considering that all of his strength and speed feats from the books, The Witcher and The Witcher 2 were performed prior to this procedure, and all his strength and speed feats from The Witcher 3 can be performed without going through the experiment, Geralt's strength and speed should propably be changed from Small Building/Transonic to At Least Small Building/At Least Transonic.

4. The Kayran fight

The Kayran boss fight is something that I think tends to be overlooked when it comes to measuring Geralt's stats. Here's the video I'll be using for reference in this section:

Here

In terms of sheer size, kayran is by far the greatest threat Geralt has ever faced. To give you a size comparison:

Here

Now, take a look at the stone structure on the right side of the picture below:

Here

I think it's safe to say that structure would qualify as Building/Large Building.

As shown in the video (01:37 and 02:10), kayran can remove lurge chunks of identical structure on the other side of the lair. It should be noted that the beast did it with wild, unfocused swings. Kayran did not actively tried to bring this structure down, it was merely a collateral damage. What's more, The Witcher 2 Bestiary credits kayran with following feats of strength:

• It has become aggressive: 'it shatters ships', shreds nets, snatches people from the river banks and pulls them beneath the water. Even the military cannot handle this plague, for the kayran hides in the water, where it is impossible to fight.
  • The creature defends itself with long, heavy tentacles - 'and ordinary man would die from a single blow, for these appendages weigh as much as a trebuchet arm' and are covered in poisonous mucus.
Kayran's durability is insane. Despite having three of it's tentacles choped of and being crushed under the mentioned stone structure (03:12), the beast was not only alive, but still fighting back. It displayed impressive level of strength and accuracy, trying to kill Geralt by throwing massive bulders at him (03:22). What's more, The Witcher 2 Bestiary credits kayran with following level of hardiness:

• Its armor, tougher than that of any other creature - with the possible exception of dragons - is the final obstacle to overcome.

This would put kayran's durability above that of a stone golem.

The provided examples of kayran's size and resiliance should easily put it in Building/Large Building durability tier. By consequence, Geralt's proven ability to harm kayran by choping off its tentacles with few strikes of his sword, should elevate his Attack Potency and overall Tier accordingly.

Same thing with Geralt's durability:

(04:19) "The beast got me a couple of times."

This piece of dialogue proves that Geralt can indeed take several hits from Kayran.

I would like to point out that I'm not 100% sure about this analysis. I do not know the site's exact size requirements for the building to be considered Large. As tall as the mentioned structure was, I doubt it should be considered even a low-level skyscraper.

Also, since it's my first post here, I would like to ask you to cut me some slack in case I'm horrbily wrong or something.

Cheers!

You can ask Dargoo Faust to comment here if you wish.

I have one very important question to ask:

Are these Novel feats/powers?

Dargoo Faust said:
I have one very important question to ask:
Are these Novel feats/powers?
The only thing solely from the books (or rather a book) is a Somne sign.

The bombs, fistfight, Blood and Wine mutations, The Kayran fight - all those things come from the games. Quotes come from in-game conversations, bestiaries and journal entries. The Witcher Universe Compendium is a supplementary source to The Witcher 3 (I think it's exclussive for PS4 version, not entirely sure).

Somne wouldn't apply to the profile (At least the games one), then. Although having a profile for his novels version would be awesome.

The rest look fine to me, although having a calc would make the tiering clearer.

Dargoo Faust said:
Somne wouldn't apply to the profile (At least the games one), then. Although having a profile for his novels version would be awesome.
The rest look fine to me, although having a calc would make the tiering clearer.
I'm afraid we would need to ask someone else to do a calc. Never done that, I wouldn't know where to start.

Looking at the fight; I don't think Geralt scales to the ship destruction, as the best he does is pick apart the monster limb by limb as opposed to posing a threat to the entire monster.

That put being able to survive hits from tentacles that weigh as much as trebuchets is still very impressive if I go for kinetic energy.

Dargoo Faust said:
Looking at the fight; I don't think Geralt scales to the ship destruction, as the best he does is pick apart the monster limb by limb as opposed to posing a threat to the entire monster.
That put being able to survive hits from tentacles that weigh as much as trebuchets is still very impressive if I go for kinetic energy.
That still qualifies as hurting, does it not? The beast seemed pretty upset every time Geralt chopped off one of its tentacles. The beasts tentacles were hardy enough to damage that stone structure without damaging itself.

Btw. I've rewatched the video and found confirmation that Geralt indeed took hits from kayran (04:19):

"The beast got me a couple of times."

The Witcher 3 doesn't have any console-exclusive content at all IIRC. All DLC are on all platforms.

Shattering ships seems to be Building level at its lowest, IMHO. The ships in The Witcher 3 are pretty large, after all.

KLOL506 said:
The Witcher 3 doesn't have any console-exclusive content at all IIRC. All DLC are on all platforms.
It's not a DLC, it's a manual (sort of). I've taken this PS4 bit from here. And here you can see it for yourself after downloading.

KLOL506 said:
Shattering ships seems to be Building level at its lowest, IMHO. The ships in The Witcher 3 are pretty large, after all.
It really depends on the ship; 9-A can be more than enough energy to shatter a decently-sized wooden ship.

The only reliable thing is calcing KE from the "weighs as much as a trebuchet arm" statement.

So guys, is this going anywhere or not? I think I've presented more than convincing case.

The parts that were accepted by Dargoo can probably be applied.

Back