• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Geralt of Rivia - Durability and potential Attack Potency change

Hello everyone

Today I would like to turn your attention to the fight that for some reason tends to be overlooked when it comes to measuring Geralt's stats: the kayran boss fight from Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. I've already mentioned this in one of my earlier threads, but since we're apparently on Geralt revision marathon (which already resulted in elevating Geralt' speed to Supersonic+), let's keep the show on the road.

Here's the video I'll be using for reference:

Here

In terms of sheer size, kayran is by far the greatest threat Geralt has ever faced. To give you a size comparison:

Here

As shown in the video (01:37 and 02:10), kayran can remove lurge chunks of this huge bridge. Based on the size alone, I think it's safe to say that the structure would qualify as Building/Large Building. It should be noted that the beast did it with wild, unfocused swings. Kayran wasn't actively trying to bring the bridge down, it was merely a collateral damage. Furthermore, The Witcher 2 Bestiary credits kayran with following feats of strength:

• It has become aggressive: 'it shatters ships', shreds nets, snatches people from the river banks and pulls them beneath the water. Even the military cannot handle this plague, for the kayran hides in the water, where it is impossible to fight.
  • The creature defends itself with long, heavy tentacles - 'and ordinary man would die from a single blow, for these appendages weigh as much as a trebuchet arm' and are covered in poisonous mucus.
While we do not see Geralt taking hits from kayran in a cut-scene, depending on the chosen dialogue option Geralt can outright confirm his ability to take and survive those hits:

(04:19) "The beast got me a couple of times."

Kayran's durability is insane. Despite having three of it's tentacles cut off and being crushed under the mentioned bridge (03:12), the beast was not only alive, but still fighting back. It displayed impressive level of strength and accuracy, trying to kill Geralt by throwing massive bulders at him (03:22). The provided examples of kayran's size and resiliance should easily put it in Building/Large Building durability tier.

In conclusion, I think it's safe to assume that taking hits from kayran is more impressive than taking hits from the dragon and should allow us to elevate Geralt's durability level to Building/Large Building. As for his Attack Potency (and consequently Tier change)... I'm not 100% sure. Some might say that all Geralt did was to cut off the beast's tentacles, but he wasn't harming kayran as a whole. While it is a valid argument, it should also be noted that after cutting off each tentacle, kayran gets very mad and, after cutting off the third tentacle, the beast actively tries to retreat (and gets stopped by Sile at 02:46), meaning it was scared for it's safety. Make of that what you will.

There was supposed to be a calc about this but everyone forgot.

Sadly though, this one is waaaaaaaay out of my expertise.

Yeah. For example, Witcher 3 Geralt doesn't have Heliotrop, but Witcher 2 Geralt does. And he has different feats in every other game.

We're still essentially viewing the same geralt

Neither versions of geralt have that much in difference per say The most major difference isn being the witcher 2 has possession of heliotrop and the other don't

But what changes is the skill gap, from what i know geralt in witcher 1 is in his 40s or 50s which would make him a lot less skilled than the current 90s geralt

You can ask here for calculations: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3403260

GribbleTheTrash said:
We're still essentially viewing the same geralt
Neither versions of geralt have that much in difference per say The most major difference isn being the witcher 2 has possession of heliotrop and the other don't

But what changes is the skill gap, from what i know geralt in witcher 1 is in his 40s or 50s which would make him a lot less skilled than the current 90s geralt
Agreed. The only indicators of Geralt's growth during the games would be him recovering his memories at the very end of Witcher 2 (which would only influence his swordsmanship), and Blood and Wine, when he gets the additional mutations which make him stronger and faster (however the increase is unspecified and optional, Geralt can still perform all of his physical feats without going through th procedure).

I don't know where did you get that from, Witcher 1 takes place in 1270, Witcher 3 in 1272, and Blood and Wine around 1275.

Antvasima I've been asking for calculating this feats for months, both in the thread you linked, and in the previous one.

There Is also this feat:

in this clip, Geralt fights an Earth Elemental called Therazane. It either creates or forces up man-height rock walls during the fight, and the man who gives Geralt the contract to kill it thought it was a ghost, causing the doors in the house above to shut, walls to crack, and floors to be forced out of allignment. This is a wealthy client, so the house in question is well-built.Therazane physically struggling against the magical barrier containing it was what was causing the tremors. Could you calc the quake and rock formations, please? If I did not provide sufficient information, consult the Witcher Wiki or YouTube, looking for "Therazane" or "Contract: Doors Slamming Shut".

The way the owner describes the quake makes it sound like a IV on the Mercalli scale. That translates to about City Block level.

Bump.

Well, asking members of the calc group directly haven't helped either. Is there anyone here who could calc these feats?

Speaking of feats, what do you guys think about this:

He saw Vilgefortz extend a hand. He dived aside and flatten himself against the floor behind the base of a column. There was a boom so loud it hurt their ears, and the whole castle was shaken to its fundations.

(…)

Booming echoed through the castle, the walls trembled and the chandeliers jingled. A large oil portrait in a gilded frame felt with a great clatter.

(...)

There was another boom and the castle shook.

(…)

A terrible boom resounded from above, and moldings fell from the vault with an audible rustle.

(…)

Something boomed with such force, that the colums holding up the vault trembled and stuccos fell of the walls.

(…)

A distand thud resounded and the castle shuddered.

(…)

There was a boom, the floor trembled beneath feet, and a shield fell with a thud from a wall panoplie.

(...)

- Impressive, witcher! And what say you to this?

The witcher said nothing. He flew as if he'd been rammed, fell on to the floor and shot across it, only stopping at the base of the column. The column broke up and fell to pieces, again taking a considerable part of the vault with it. This time, Yennefer wasn't quick enough to give him magical protection. A huge lump broken off from the arcade hit him in the shoulder. The pain paralyzed him for a moment.

The force generated by Vilgefortz's spells shakes the Stygga castle in its fundations. Geralt can take several of his spells, and being hit with one is considered to being hit with a battering ram.

Also, apollogies for possible mistakes. I don't have English translation of Lady of the Lake, and I was forced to use an audiobook from YouTube.

From mortal monsters in the series Kayran has probably most impressive AP feats (worth noting the one Geralt fought was dying already) or Alzur's monster (he destroyed half of Maribor), but we don't know the size of Maribor

SpookyShadow said:
From mortal monsters in the series Kayran has probably most impressive AP feats (worth noting the one Geralt fought was dying already) or Alzur's monster (he destroyed half of Maribor), but we don't know the size of Maribor
Just give me my Large Builing Level Geralt Maribor was the second largest city of Temeria, can't we determinate its size by considering Maribor bigger than others cities but smaller than Vizima? Or we can assume that Maribor was as big as the real one.

Lgamer099 99 said:
Understood, did you notice some good feats I don't remember about?
Some Earth Elemental can summon a lot of large rocks to attack Geralt. That's possibly a 8-C or High 8-C

Ok I read the entire OP now. Kayran's mass can be found using cube law, and then calc KE. Easily 8-C

Back