• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Ruby is normally bulding level+ with large bulding level dust amo and bulding level+ with large bulding level durability with aura

Ruby's stronger, Gentle's High 8-C AP only comes from the level of attack his barriers can reflect. Physically he's around 0.40 Tons via being ten times weaker than his Lover form. Though he mainly fights by reflecting his opponent's attacks back at them.

His dura is around 3.89 Tons via scaling to 8% Izuku. Gentle's barriers are invisible and Ruby doesn't have the analytical abilities to memorize where they are like Izuku can. Though her Semblance, along with her own quick moments with Crescent Rose, would pose a problem.

I think Ruby wouldn't use range attacks once she sees that Gentle can easily reflect them back at her. I imagine she'll want get close and with her Semblance she should be able to do that without much trouble.

As she is physically superior and a better fighter she easily wins in a close up match. Gentle will try to keep his distance but he won't be able to escape very far. She won't fire her bullets anymore so he can't reflect anything and I don't see him beating her by knocking her back with his barriers.

I'm going to vote Ruby via outlasting him, honestly once she decides to stop firing bullets he has little chance at winning. She'll chase after him until he slips up and take him out.

Im guessing Gentle could also use his quirk on Ruby's Scythe to make it ineffective, forcing her into close combat and somewhat prevent her from getting too close to him with his invisible barriers, even though the rose petals seem to subconciously split around objects. He would have a lot more arena control too which would make it hard for Ruby to fight on properly.

Other than that, Ruby pretty much outclasses him physically like stated, but honestly i think its a question of whether or not Gentle can disarm her and make her weapon prove more ineffective.

What happens if Gentle uses his Gently Sandwich to trap her? She may not be strong enough to escape from that attack.

And with the speed equalized I doubt she'll be able to over-manoeuvre him and pass through his air shields.

Not to mention that at the beginning of the fight she could get heavily injured by her own reflected bullets.

Gently Sandwich can restrain her, but her petal burst has recently been able to get her out of being pinned due to her condensing down to rose petals, though they might react differently to the elastic layers?

Yeah, the air shields are what she would struggle with mostly, but they would only keep safe distance for Gentle not to get rekt close range and not really finish her off other than exhaustion.

Her Aura can pretty much take a few rebounded bullets until she stops being dumb and doesnt keep shooting (If she gets an electricity dust bullet reflected at her, i suppose her aura would pretty much be bypassed and stun her), so it wouldnt be fatal but would still require work from Gentle to truly put her down

This is against Volume 3 Ruby whose 8-C, but High 8-C with gravity dust whatever that means, who matched base Gentle.

If we used Lover Mode, Gentle pretty much stomps

Ruby used electricity once, doubt it'll come up here.

However if he could disarm her by making her weapon elastic that'd be a problem. If he does disarm her he has a far better chance at winning, Ruby is garbage without her weapon. (Fodder can easily beat her) I'm taking back my vote for now I wasn't accounting for that.

Ruby has used electricity a few times actually, and if disarmed she can just use her semblancce to retrive it

WeeklyBattles said:
Ruby has used electricity a few times actually, and if disarmed she can just use her semblancce to retrive it
Its not really about disarming, Gentle's quirk would physically make the scythe elastic and weaken its damaging and wielding capabilities. She wouldn't be able to use it effectively for pretty much the rest of the fight if it comes into contact with him

Also the use of electricity would be rebounded against her, which would be harmful since it bypasses her aura

Ruby could just run away from the fight and return after Crescent Rose returns to normal

In-character since Ruby can't do jack without her scythe she's prob gonna run away once it stops working

I mean thats not entirely true, she has used her semblance in conjunction with physical attacks to fight opponents in volume 3

I doubt she can keep just running away, especially since she wouldn't be sure whether its temporary or permanent unless associating it with a semblance to which she would need to take out what she believed to be Gentle's aura. Its not gonna be efficient for her.

As for the combat abilities of her own semblance, Gentle's air pockets will easily be able to limit her movement using it (Doubt she will be able to split even if this was past V3, due to them not being as solid nor visible), as well as pocket strong wind currents somewhat. His ability would also be able to weaken any impacts like hitting solid surfaces if he was blown away.

She doesnt need to keep running away, her semblancce lets her just blitz him before he can put up a defensive barrier

Don't think he would get completely blitzed exactly. This is speed equalised minus the speed amp, and people have been able to somewhat react to her semblance in the normal way she uses it. I dont recall anyone somewhat on her level being completely unable to track her. For Gentle, to set up his barriers it only takes a gesture/contact with whatever hes touching including the air. He was able to set up a barrier while Izuku charged at him too. In character, Ruby wouldn't instantly try and go for the blitzing either, nor would she know about his Elasticity quirk. In fact while using his semblance he's extremely tricky to land a hit on either. Other than that, she wont be doing any meaningful damage with just her fists while Gentle is fairly confident he can take out 2 Pro Heroes without his Lover Mode

Its not really about disarming, Gentle's quirk would physically make the scythe elastic and weaken its damaging and wielding capabilities. She wouldn't be able to use it effectively for pretty much the rest of the fight if it comes into contact with him

Ooh, that's a good point.

Jinx666 said:
I doubt she can keep just running away, especially since she wouldn't be sure whether its temporary or permanent unless associating it with a semblance to which she would need to take out what she believed to be Gentle's aura. Its not gonna be efficient for her.

As for the combat abilities of her own semblance, Gentle's air pockets will easily be able to limit her movement using it (Doubt she will be able to split even if this was past V3, due to them not being as solid nor visible), as well as pocket strong wind currents somewhat. His ability would also be able to weaken any impacts like hitting solid surfaces if he was blown away.
That wouldn't work, realistically. She doesn't have Deku's brilliance, but she's not stupid, either, she is very capable of coming up with advanced battle strategizing, and we saw this as early as episode 8 of volume 1. Truth is, she would eventually come to realize what Gentle's power is, and then she would learn how to circumvent it (because it really isn't all that hard to circumvent it if you have superspeed). It's not a blitz per se, but Gentle will struggle significantly to keep up with her, and once she learns how to circumvent the air trampolines, it's ultimately going to boil down to close quarters combat.

And as for her scythe turning elastic, this will probably happen once or twice, but again, once she understands what is happening, she'll understand what she needs to avoid, and she'll try to work around it. This disarming strategy isn't going to work more than twice.

Learning to circumvent the air barriers is gonna be tougher when Gentle can casually keep making more from any angle, and nothing really suggests shes good at keeping track of each individual one like Izuku.

For Gentle to activate his quirk, he merely needs to be in contact with it, or in areas close to him. This would account for the Scythe's only way of viably damaging him by contact, since Gentle can easily rebound her, and she can be flung back in her rose petal form like she did when she got smacked by Mercury. For the disarming strat, the quirk will last for pretty much the duration of the battle since neither can really stall and Ruby wouldn't exactly just run from the fight while Gentle waits around for her to come back. Gentle has his own fast manouverability that allows him to be difficult to keep a bead on too as stated on Midoriya so i doubt its gonna be the only factor he falters to

1. It doesn't take a genius to be able to keep track of each individual barrier. Again, I don't know why you think she wouldn't be able to when she has demonstrably good feats of strategizing and intelligence. And as I said earlier, she isn't stupid.

2. I know how Gentle's quirk works, but the fact that he only needs to touch the object for the quirk to work is not much help. Ruby can shoot bullets from her Crescent Rose, and besides, Gentle would have to be insanely good to be able to keep with the scythe movements, something which he has never demonstrated.

3. I don't know why you say neither can stall. There is no evidence of that. In fact, quite the opposite, there in-canon examples of stalling for both characters. For example, Gentle spent a lot of time running away from Deku and stalling in the air, And running away is a viable battle strategy. Also, I'm not sure why you think the quirk on the scythe would last the entirety of the fight. That's a little absurd, since in the first place, we have no idea how long the fight is, and arguing it would last just as long would as such be an example of NLF.

1. The barriers are invisible and the battle will involve a lot of movement. Gentle will have to actively show their location through his own movements, and he can do this at a constant. She's not stupid i respect, but Ruby hasn't shown to be as battle smart as Deku at this stage, so its still a hinderance.

2. Gentle's quirk can pretty much work using any limb (through gloves and shoes), and his move of gently sandwich shows him able to create elastic barriers from closeby and not specific combat.

His Air barriers like established before protects from and rebounds Ruby's bullets back at her, so shes forced to take an offensive approach, which is hard when theres multiple invisible barriers at hand, and the only thing she can efficiently do damage with can be turned ineffective through the use of his quirk. Keeping up with a scythe isn't exactly difficult for him to use his quirk with since she would be using it to directly attack him. He can throw off her movements with this quirk aswell such as converting the ground

3. Getting away =/= Stalling. His goal was to break into U.A. and he decided to flee from Deku because he was actively stalling him, not the other way around. He wasn't at first trying to beat Midoriya and instead escape him. Dont think we've seen Ruby ever try to stall an opponent through get-away tactics, but even if she could she would just be exhausting her aura and pretty much restarting the fight which isn't something efficient.

Gentle's quirk takes time for the objects to revert to their original state from elasticity, in Deku's fight at least. He labels this as a drawback so it can also be assumed its rather long lasting. The scythe wont return to original shape for the duration of the fight, especially when Gentle can just keep doing it.

She's not stupid i respect, but Ruby hasn't shown to be as battle smart as Deku at this stage, so its still a hinderance.

I know that, but just because it's somewhat of a hindrance, that doesn't mean you can't treat it like it's something Ruby won't be able to overcome. I never said it's going to be a no-difficulty task for her. but it's likely for her to overcome it within a reasonable amount of time, even if not as fast as Deku. So it's completely reasonable to assume that at some point, she might be able to approach him using her semblance. Besides, you're assuming that Gentle can set multiple air barriers faster than Ruby can move with her semblance, which is absolutely most definitely false. And it's not just about creating the barriers. It's about placing them correctly. That's the real issue here, and that's why I don't think the barriers are a real issue to Ruby. Sure, at first she will struggle. But eventually she'll be able to take the long way and surround him with a curve path that he can't predict fast enough and protect fast enough, because her quirk allows her to do that. Remember that she can freely fly with her semblance. And that's an advantage that she has over Deku as a fighter. Deku had to use his smarts more because he didn't have the speed to just render Gentle's quirk irrelevant, and he couldn't take unpredictable curved paths freely like Ruby can, meaning that he was basically confined to the same path as Gentle was using to maneuver himself. Granted, it's not exactly easy to predict where Gentle is going to place his barriers either, but Ruby has far more flexibility than both Deku and Gentle here. And it's not like he can just cover himself in barriers either since this would essentially trap him. So he does have to be able to adapt to ruby's speed and mobility to be able to place the barriers precisely where she is going to approach him from, and I just don't think that's going to happen.

His Air barriers like established before protects from and rebounds Ruby's bullets back at her, so shes forced to take an offensive approach, which is hard when theres multiple invisible barriers at hand

That's assuming Gentle has the speed to set up the trampoline faster than the bullets can reach him. I know it only takes a handwave to create the air barriers, but I don't know why you think a handwave of his would be faster than a bullet that is faster than Ruby who has the speed advantage via her semblance.

He labels this as a drawback so it can also be assumed its rather long lasting. The scythe wont return to original shape for the duration of the fight, especially when Gentle can just keep doing it.

Long lasting =/= duration of the fight. That's absurd, especially since the former is incredible vague and relative, and the latter is just unknown.

The invisible barriers still limit her movement greatly and can pretty much rebound her backwards if she collides into one (And as stated in V7, she isn't exactly able to see her path while shes in this form like when she wasn't aware her semblance could split itself, even while doing it in V4. This should make it difficult for her to time the exact correct moment at which she needs to turn)

Gentle can most definitely keep up with Ruby with his quirk that only requires his command in order to pull up the wall instantly (covered the gap in time for when Midoriya charged at him using OFA, which was faster than himself). Constant use of this semblance (That she barely uses as intricately in V3) for physical means will also drain her aura much faster while Gentle's defensive strategies are easily able to keep him on the upper hand stamina wise. His quirk doesn't show any signs of exhausting him like Explosion as its weakness is more or less targeted at how he cant revert them back on command.

His use of air barriers to propel himself upwards is also arguably better than Ruby's semi-flight which seems to be limited on how far she can stay in the form for (like in V6), so its not exactly going to be that much of a constant pain. Just colliding into him wont do much either since she would need to pretty much revert back in order to deal any mass damage while close, which is way too risky. From there, the scythe turns elastic, and Ruby is forced to fight hand in hand if she stands any chance at Gentle (who also isn't dumb and unable to adapt to her as she is him, only Gentle is far more unpredictable due to his versatility.

Speed is equalised and characters from MHA generally have the speed necessary to react to bullets. Kirishima certainly can and Gentle can keep with 7% Midoriya. Not to mention he already reacted to Midoriya's charge in order to do this. Ruby would also require the time and aim needed for gentle to react to if she was going to use ranged attacks, so they are really just countered by him im afraid. She'll have to stop the second the bullet gets rebounded back at her to avoid aura damage.

The fight between them really isn't going to last for hours upon hours. The whole stuff with Midoriya lasted an actual given timescale (Time until 1-A's performance), and definitely wasn't long despite being unable to remember the exact time. Her scythe can easily go back to being elastic even if the time duration isnt there, there really isn't that limit to Gentle's quirk, and she isn't going to be able to just stop it from happening since attacks using her scythe are the only way shes gonna be able to fight him. Not to mention Gentle can confidently fight pro heroes (up to 2) even without Lover Mode, so hes not a stranger when it comes to close combat either

Gentle can most definitely keep up with Ruby with his quirk that only requires his command in order to pull up the wall instantly (covered the gap in time for when Midoriya charged at him using OFA, which was faster than himself).

Ruby is notably faster than Deku when using her semblance. You are severely underestimating just how much of a speed boosts she gets with her semblance. There is, objectively speaking, no way Gentle could realistically keep up with Ruby the same way he did with Deku, especially if his goal is not to run away.

The invisible barriers still limit her movement greatly and can pretty much rebound her backwards if she collides into one

No, they really don't do much to limit her movement. The only way her movement could notably be limited is if Gentle puts several air barriers around himself. I already discussed why this is not a feasible option for battle.

Constant use of this semblance (That she barely uses as intricately in V3) for physical means will also drain her aura much faster while Gentle's defensive strategies are easily able to keep him on the upper hand stamina wise.

This is true, but if she can dominate him early on in battle (and yes, she absolutely can), then that won't matter much.

Just colliding into him wont do much either since she would need to pretty much revert back in order to deal any mass damage while close, which is way too risky.

She doesn't need to deal mass damage per hit. Besides, if Gentle were to propel himself to the air and she collides with him such that he hits a wall or loses his balance, then this gives her a temporary upper hand. That is more useful than a head-on charge-and-hit. So, unless you are suggesting Gentle is never going to choose to propel himself to the air, that doesn't do much for your argument.

The fight between them really isn't going to last for hours upon hours.

That's not saying much. It doesn't mean the fight can't or won't last longer. It's hard to know precisely how long, and we were never given a scale for how long his quirk lasts. But it is unlikely that it would last hours upon hours, and there is just no evidence whatsoever to suggest that it will last the whole fight, that's ridiculous. Is it a possibility? Yes, it certainly is, but saying it will happen simply because it can is a huge fallacy. If that's the type of argument you want to make, then I don't see how your argument regarding the air barriers holds any weight whatsoever. if Ruby can overcome them, then she will overcome. That's what your logic suggests. And don't get me wrong: I definitely think she realistically would overcome it, but it's not merely because she can, it's because she has more flexibility than you give her credit. I'm only bringing this fallacious version up because if you think the quirk will last the entire fight, then you absolutely have to concede that Ruby will overcome the air barriers. If you don't, then you're simply applying double standards and not being consistent.

Besides, in the worst case scenario, Ruby wouldn't be able to win the fight, but Gentle wouldn't either. I mean, what is your actual argument for Gentle winning this fight? I'm not even sure he has a winning condition.

Speed is equalised firstly and Ruby has never been so fast she cant be tracked or timed (like Mercury), it takes literally a thought to set a barrier with whatever is around him, and Ruby is unlikely to start off using her semblance to suddenly charge him since as we all know, Ruby forgets her semblance most of the time between V1-3 that the show itself makes her acknowledge it more afterwards. She also wont be able to deal effective damage in this form and Gentle himself can use his quirk to amplify his movement while hindering hers.

Yeah, they can, since they're literally invisible and Ruby from what we've seen cant really see whats happening while in this form, or split herself since thats past V3 to get around them. Unlike her, he's experienced at fighting with his barriers present, and has a whole air sky space he can travel around rather than thinking he's dumb enough to keep himself trapped and that he would only be stuck in one position throughout the battle. Even if he did do that, Ruby couldn't touch him regardless.

She obviously does since theres no other viable way she can hurt him consistently seeing as her ranged options get rebounded, shes useless with her fists, her scythe can easily become unwieldable etc. Shes stuck colliding into him somewhat, which as shown by Mercury, can also be hit and rebounded itself with minimal effort. If Gentle hit a wall, he would probably use his quirk to weaken the impact and launch him back into the battle to attain that key close distance against her. The point is, Ruby is forced into close quarters and thats not gonna be good for her since Gentle can literally disable her weapon capabilities.

The fight won't last long. Gentle can continually use his quirk with very little strain, and Ruby has no idea in the first place whether it can even turn back or how it works. It isn't at all related to the air barrier argument, and given the fact Gentle's fight with Midoriya had an actual short timescale (Especially with most of the time Gentle trying to escape), i dont see whats literally so wrong with saying this fight wont last ages. This is all fictional. And perhaps i could respect Ruby could figure out that Gentle has these barriers if she could literally do anything against them? What is she gonna do? Be unable to approach him and try to outsmart Gentle about his own quirk that she only just figured out? This isn't the only application of his quirk either.

Gentle would win by being able to literally counter all her abilities except short burst speed (that has its own time limit and will keep chipping her aura) and disable her ability to fight back. Gentle knows how to fight, he can take on Pro Heroes (that in verse are far more competent than the graduated hunstmen in RWBY), and can easily exhaust her while shes on an aura limit. You're very much underestimating Gentle if you think he cant do anything combat wise to take out an opponent while his versatile ability easily keeps her advantages in check.

Back