• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General Debating words

Colonel_Krukov

🖖 Live long and prosper
He/Him
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Image Helper
I was thinking that we could add a "dictionary" with a list of generally used terms like "Hax", "Necro", "Bump" etc.

I know that we already have some pages that explain some terms, but I just wondered as to what people think of my idea. Link to the document can be found here.

NOTE: This is a staff only thread, so if you wish to bring anything up, please post on my wall here.

I'm down with this if it can really work. I've seen new users at times ask what a bump is or even what hax or necro or whatever they say means.

I suppose this might be an idea.

However, I still think that we should write the profiles in regular proper language, so casual visitors can understand them.

For example, "hax" might be okay, in lack of better options, but we should probably spell out the entire word "preparations", rather than "prep".

I am currently writing down definitions of the previously mentioned words, are there any other terms that I should cover?

I'd imagine you should probably include commonly used acronyms like "CRT" and prominent character specific ones like "GER".

We should also highlight jargon like what it means to highlight, close, and remove a thread.

We already have a Terms category, but a page detailing frequent terms and acronyms encountered in forum threads seems like a good idea.

I have started to write some definitions here. I would appreciate it if people can help me with character specific terms as I am not familiar with the majority of franchises.

Please feel free to edit what I have already done if there is room for improvement. I also assume that adding the completed page to navigation bar is a good idea no?

We've got some definitions (although further input would be greatly appreciated) should we upload the document? And would it be a good idea to keep the definitions in a A-Z format?

Edit: Thanks for those who have contributed thus far

Well, the "Hax" definition might use some work. Isn't it more dependent on abilities that can bypass and negate other characters with vastly superior raw power?

Quick definition of "Hax":

Hax, an expression derived from "Computer Hacking", refers to powers and abilities that grant a fighter significant advantadge over opponents of similar, or even superior physical stats as his, making things such as physical strength and speed irrelevant for the his victory.

Example: Character A is Planet level while Character B is Large Planet, however Character A is intangible, can regenerate from anything, and manipulate matter on a sub-atomic level, while Character B is simply a brawler who can fire energy attacks. As such, regardless of his physical inferiority, it is unquestionable that Character A would be the winner of the match.

Should this be implemented now?

We should probably write down some lists of words and their explanations here first, and let other staff members come with new suggestions.

Afterwards, the thread should also probably be highlighted again, for further input.

So here are some new ideas:

• Stand
  • Anti Hax
  • Retcon
  • Outlier
  • Feat

Stand is probably a too specific term, related to Jojo. The others should likely be fine though.

Blahblah9755 has said:

"Bloodlusted - A state of mind where a character is willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Calc - An abbreviation of Calculation.

DT - An abbreviation of "DETERMINATION", one of the primary powers within the series Undertale.

In Character - The state of mind in which a character is most commonly portrayed within their series, often used with the exception of pacifists being willing to kill.

MHS - An abbreviation of "Massively Hypersonic".

Though I'm not certain, for NLF it may be worth noting that people with auto-correction features on their devices often write NFL by mistake.

PIS, CIS, Blitz, and BFR could all be added with their page definitions/links.

Tier - Used to denote the different levels of Speed, Attack Potency and the Tiering System

UT - An abbreviation for Undertale."

Bloodlusted, CIS, PIS and outlier exist as pages. If you want to take terms that there already exist pages for the definition should be the exactly same to avoid confusion. Though it doesn't make much sense to have them twice given that the search bar seems to be the first thing to look for such stuff either way.

Personally I would leave out any verse specific terms and abbreviations for verses, as there are just too many (almost every verse has one). Such things belong on the verse page of the verse if they should be included. (one could also create redirects to the specific verse pages from the abbreviations of the names, if it is important)

I would also leave out things like attack potency. The page for that is that long for a reason as the details are quite important (also the definition in your document is strictly speaking not quite synonymous with the one on the AP page)

Similar for Durability.

I agree with DontTalk about leaving out terms for specific series.

In addition, terms that already have explanation pages should preferably simply be linked to.

Well, having a page for said term doesn't matter then. In books, there's a glossary and an index. Considering wikis are generally encyclopedic in nature, it wouldn't hurt to have one for general vs debating terms and a page explaining certain terms in more detail.

Well, I suppose that makes sense, but we should probably link to the pages explaining the terms in-depth as well.

What do the rest of you think about series-specific terms? Should we leave them out or not?

If they fly around frequently enough (i.e. GER and Zeed) then I don't see why we can't put them on the list for reference.

For example, a regular user might not know what JJBA or HnK stands for.

I've added the ones we agreed on previously as well as adding "OHK"

Okay. Thanks. What is the current full list?

The list so far:

• Attack Potency
  • Bump
  • Closing a Thread
  • CRT
  • DB/DBZ/DBS
  • Downplayer
  • Durability
  • GER
  • FE
  • Feat
  • FF
  • FMA
  • FTL
  • Hax
  • Highlighting a thread
  • HST
  • JJBA
  • LOTR
  • LOZ
  • LS
  • MM
  • MSS
  • Necro
  • Nerf
  • NLF
  • OHK
  • Outlier
  • Preparation Time
  • Retcon
  • RVT
  • Sockpuppet
  • SS
  • TTGL/STTGL
  • Wanker
  • Zeed

Okay. That mostly seems fine, although I am uncertain if we need to inform people about ZeedMillenniummo.

@Antvasima

Fair enough. I just thought it would be less confusing if I defined Zeed for newer users given his increasing versus thread popularity.

Well, it seems awfully specific.

Anyway, feel free to create the explanation page, if you wish. I suppose that the "Terms" category would be most appropriate to organise it under.

"Closing a thread" and "Highlighting a thread" shouldn't really be on the list either.

Both terms refer to powers Discussion Moderators, Administrators, and Bureaucrats have. And, I'm positive everyone in those positions understand what that means. It's part of their position.

It also is explained on Community Central in the Help:UserRights section. Finally, it's a Fandom thing and doesn't apply really to vs debating or indexing. Something like "bump" is a general term seen around forums all over the internet, but it's fine to keep it on the list.

Back