• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garfield's Regenerationn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump.

I'd really like these regen feats to actually be substantiated. Either with comic scans, or by showing the movie's regen feats and demonstrating the movie's canonicity to the comics.

Last edited:
I doubt the movie is canon to the comics?

Like, sure the comics are canon to the movie, since the movie is a metafictional view of the comics but I doubt there is anything substantiating the comics having the movie as canon to it.

I think that we have talked previously about that the Garfield character profile needs to be split up into several pages or focus on the comic strip only. Help to do so would be very appreciated.

What was the reasoning to not Composite him again? Are the various incarnations of Garfield seemingly so different & not apparently the same character, as with, say, Bugs Bunny?

We do not allow composite characters except in extreme cases, and the different incarnations do not constantly reference each other.

When there is no continuity between the different cartoons, as is the case with the original Bugs Bunny.

From what I recall, it is impossible to even create a profile for Bugs, since he has no continuity, whereas the separate versions of Garfield can be more easily coherently patterned.

I may remember wrong about Bugs though. I vaguely recall that we were supposed to delete him, since no composites at all are allowed.

I'd be incredulous that that is the case, but lol, argument from incredulity.
I had thought there were exceptions for some specific circumstances. Also, I think it's a bad stance, to reject many noteworthy characters just because we, an unofficial fansite, deem them "Composites" while also disallowing versions based on individual series featuring them.
If they are actually a Composite, then that is what is accurate of the series. Rules do not have to be without exception. "Case by case basis" & all that.

I'd rather not have a conversation about Bugs Bunny-type composites in this thread. Garfield is obviously far from that.

Well, in any case, this is an old thread, and not the right place to have this discussion, and it wasn't remotely up to me alone to set up our current rules.

I'd rather not have a conversation about Bugs Bunny-type composites in this thread. Garfield is obviously far from that.
I'm not entirely sure I agree that he is a Composite, given it was stated the criteria to be one is that there's "no continuity between the different cartoons", & I'd think that seems somewhat accurate for Garfield. But I'm not 100% sure which content is being used as the basis for/against that.

I don't know what you're saying about composites.

No-one has established that the Garfield comic strips have the movies as part of their canon. So either feats from it (like the regen) should be removed entirely, or moved to their own key/profile if the alternative canon is considered important/independent enough to deserve it's own thing.

I agree with Agnaa.

Would you be willing to appropriately clean up the Garfield profile btw?

I am not familiar with Garfield at all. I found out about this issue because I heard about the regen in a vs thread, and remembered it being the example of "when not to give regen".

Removing regen would be the only cleanup I'd know how to do.

The Impress has told me over Discord that the movies are blatantly not canon to the comics, as the movie gives an entirely different narrative of Odie meeting with Garfield and Liz and John meeting each other. A more blatant example is Nergal, in the comics he's a kitten, in the movies he's a full grown persian. The argument that it takes place after the comics doesn't work because Odie and Liz are "debuting" in the movies.

It sounds like it has too many continuity errors to be considered canon based just on "it's a fourth-wall breaking movie that references the comics".

Last edited:
Yes. Agreed. Feel free to remove anything in the profile page that is not derived from the main comic strip.

Most of the links are now down, but from the URLs it seems like they were comic sites.

Since Regeneration's the only one I could disprove, I'll just remove that.

I've removed it. So the initial point of this CRT is done, at least.

Okay. Would you be willing to start a new thread for removing all instances of inapplicable canonicity from the page before I close this discussion?

I really am not knowledgeable enough on Garfield to handle that. Would you or BigSmoke be able to spearhead that instead?

I am very busy, but you do not need to know a lot about Garfield to start a revision thread for this.

It's honestly not much tbh, Garfield's canon just has cartoons and comics. Garfield cartoons are made under Paws Inc. which is under Jim Davis directly. The 2 Garfield shows and specials do not contradict the comics and sometimes have the characters established there interact with Garfield.

Okay. However, let's continue in the other thread please. I will close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back