• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

De-Compositing Garfield

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
Ant raised some worries in this thread about Garfield being an unacceptable composite.

I couldn't find anything egregious on the profile, but I don't know anything about the character.

So, help would be appreciated in checking that everything on the current page is cohesive with the comic's canon.

Not knowledgable on Garfield, but I think it's reasonable to separate comicbook Garfield with the various Cartoon adaptations + live action movie Garfield.

To quote prior thread:

It's honestly not much tbh, Garfield's canon just has cartoons and comics. Garfield cartoons are made under Paws Inc. which is under Jim Davis directly. The 2 Garfield shows and specials do not contradict the comics and sometimes have the characters established there interact with Garfield in the strips

Only the Live Action films and video games have vast deviation from the original source and thus they're the only "separate canon"

Nvm, Zark the Impress makes sense.

(Edited just to satisfy her)

Last edited:
Also a note that Viacom acquired and likely dissolved Paws Inc. in August 2019, so it's pretty likely that post-2019 content, if made, would be considered separate canon due to a lack of Jim Davis' input

Thank you for the information.

Btw: Do you wish me to change your username from The_Impress to The_Imp-ress? It would also be more consistent.

I tried, but unfortunately couldn't do so. It seems like "-" is not an allowed username sign.

To quote prior thread:

It's honestly not much tbh, Garfield's canon just has cartoons and comics. Garfield cartoons are made under Paws Inc. which is under Jim Davis directly. The 2 Garfield shows and specials do not contradict the comics and sometimes have the characters established there interact with Garfield in the strips

Only the Live Action films and video games have vast deviation from the original source and thus they're the only "separate canon"
So, Garfield is to be a Composite of:
The comic strips & The 2 Garfield shows (Show titles/links to Wikipedia pages or such?) & specials. I presume 1 of the shows involved is Garfield & Friends?

& any Live Action films, video games, & Paws Inc content from after August 2019 is probably not included in that Compositing?

Why would you call that a "composite"?

It's not a composite if it's the same character in the same continuity.

My mistake. So we consider the "main" Garfield to be comprised of that continuity, then. & if a Garfield of a different continuity shows notable feats, how should the 2 be called to distinguish them?
Garfield (Paws Inc)? Garfield (Jim Davis)?

(I still wanna know what the 2nd show is that's included in addition to Garfield & Friends. The Garfield Show?)

Interesting, didn't know of that.

I am going off that if Jim Davis does have a direct input on its creation, and it doesn't contradict comics or the original shows, it can be a part of the original canon, so yeah sure it's probably canon too

Well, the old Garfield cartoon show was very different from the comic strip, and largely featured different and contradictory characters.

I do not think that we can assume that they all happen to the same version of the character just because Jim Davis has placed an "okay" stamp on them.

Okay. Would you be interested in cleaning up the Garfield profile page, and possibly separating it into several versions?

Currently I'm busy with other projects like Mickey Mouse decompositing , so I likely can't.

Okay. No problem. Scrooge McDuck and Garfield also need to be decomposited at some point though.

Are there unresolved matters present in it? If so, which? Do we have plans for how to act about those matters?

Help to apply this in practice would be very appreciated, yes.

i'm a proud owner of the best game of all time, garfield kart, so i could make a profile for that incarnation of him i think

Make the file, although you have a profilemaking ban, no? Then get the profile sandbox verified by me before you post it

i sort of have a profilemaking ban. i can't really create profiles unless i make them as sandboxes/blogs first and get them evaluated by another member.

...no I remember Armor was the one that got stuck with you, not a bluename certainly

I mean I don't doubt your capabilities or anything, I just think it's abit... y'know, to have your work being judged by people who are supposedly your peers

Back