• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

FTL Star KE Question

Psychomaster35

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
If you were to physically strike a star which moved it at FTL speeds, why would it still be Star level and not something like Solar System (given how it goes 4-B once it reaches around 90% SoL from what I saw)? It wouldnt really make sense for something to go baseline if it surpasses the speed of light, even if the values get wacky past that, it would regardless be higher than it was when it was moving at 90% SoL, so we could just assume 99% SoL if it goes at FTL speeds from a physical strike.

Also, another question: if hitting a star causing it to move at FTL speeds a little distance required many people to move it, would dividing the speed by the number of people work, since it is like them affecting their individual strength? I asked that because of a certain feat I saw where it took 5 people to move it a little at that speed by jumping.

Also curious about this.

(Also if you’re referring to what I think you are, then the 4-B results came from the sun moving at only around 49% SoL)

Last edited:
If you were to physically strike a star which moved it at FTL speeds, why would it still be Star level and not something like Solar System (given how it goes 4-B once it reaches around 90% SoL from what I saw)? It wouldnt really make sense for something to go baseline if it surpasses the speed of light, even if the values get wacky past that, it would regardless be higher than it was when it was moving at 90% SoL, so we could just assume 99% SoL if it goes at FTL speeds from a physical strike.
Let's follow that reasoning to its logical conclusion.

If we say if it was moving FTL it should be higher than when it was moving with 90% of the speed of light, because of the fact that being faster should be higher, than the same should apply to any other KE value reached if it moves slower than light speed.

If it applies to 90% for that reason, then there is no reason it wouldn't also apply to 99% via the same line of argumentation. In fact, it would also apply to 99.9% of the speed of light given that argumentation. As well as for 99.99%, 99.999%, 99.9999% and so on. As long as it's not faster than light and the FTL body is faster than it, the object should have more KE, right? That's the argument we are making here.

Now the usual KE formula of 0.5*m*v^2 is only a simplification. As we know for more than a hundred years by now, in reality the formula for kinetic energy is
m*c^2 ((1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)) - 1)
where v is the velocity of the object, m is the mass and c is the speed of light in vacuum.

What happens if we make v approach c? That's what we are doing if we take percentages ever closer to 100% of the speed of light after all. Well, in that case (v/c) approaches 1. In that case (v/c)^2 also approaches 1. In which case 1-(v/c)^2 approaches 0. In which case sqrt(1-(v/c)^2) approaches 0. In which case (1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)) appraoches infinite. In which case m*c^2 ((1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)) - 1) also approaches infinite.

What this means is that you can choose some arbitrary amount of energy, say 2.825*10^92 Joule (That's baseline universe level), and you will find some speed value less than the speed of light for which an object of your choice going that fast would have more kinetic energy than that value. E.g. if a 1 kg object moves with sqrt(1-((3*10^92/299792458^2+1)^(-2))*100)% of the speed of light (that percentage is very very close to 100, but not quite) then the object in question would have universe level amounts of energy.

So if you are saying that any FTL object should be considered to have more KE than itself going at any speed less than the speed of light, what you are saying is that all FTL KE should be universe level (or in fact infinite). That we can't realistically make everyone with a FTL KE feat 3-A/High 3-A should be clear, though.

So that argument can't work.

Also, another question: if hitting a star causing it to move at FTL speeds a little distance required many people to move it, would dividing the speed by the number of people work, since it is like them affecting their individual strength? I asked that because of a certain feat I saw where it took 5 people to move it a little at that speed by jumping.
No. You would need to divide the energy by 5, not the speed. Dividing the speed by 5 wouldn't even work for not FTL KE.

Ah, thanks.

Also, would scaling another object with a confirmed height to something moving faster than light with a confirmed height work as a low end? Lets say Earth was moving faster than light, then we use the moon to scale it.

Ehhh... to be honest, I don't understand the question. Can you ask that again in other words?

For another example, lets say the sun was moving at FTL speeds, and the Earth just so happened to be nearby, albeit at a far distance. Would using Earth’s diameter work as a lowball in scaling the sun’s speed?

I'm going to say probably no, despite still not understanding how and why exactly you want to connect the earth's diameter, a distance, to the speed of the sun.

Moving a star at FTL is considered to be equal to the GBE of it. So, it would be a 4-C feat.

Ah, yes.

One more question: if it took more people to move the sun at FTL speeds and we therefore assume GBE (AKA baseline tier), do we still need to divide it, given going at FTL speeds makes it uncalcable?

Yes. I mean, go to the logical extreme of not doing it: That would mean if infinite people together somehow did it all are somehow still star level...

Back