• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

FTL lightning, and what to do with it.

Ricsi-viragosi

VS Battles
Retired
Cutting it short, in The Gamer verse lightning and electricity is relentlessly stated to be SoL. And I mean that a character states it, a nigh-omniscient states it, they actually give the m/s speed of light, and it is comparable to light based attacks, which can reflect from objects like normal and Han tried to use it to attack a dude behind a barrier because it was transparent.

Said verse has top-tiers scale to MHS+ for a lightning feat.

The question is rather obvious: Do we make them FTL or not?

PS: I'll get FTL scans in a bit, it's just that I had to re-read this webtoon 3 times already, so I'm a bit burnt out.

The first one is solid, although I'm not sure if the author just doesn't understand how fast lightning is, or if the verse has its own version of lightning that moves at the SoL.

The second one says the "speed is similar to Light's", which means the base assumption is near SoL or Reletivistic. Again I'm still not sure if this is an author error or something purposefully done for the verse.

Beats me, although I personally perfer Imgur links anyways.

True enough that it is relativistic...

But plenty still scale to FTL because of time dilatation.

Admittedly, the "undodgable" part was only said when bullets were fast by his standard, but it still is a massive difference in speed. I and Litentric both tough that a "possibly FTL" would be best to use.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Admittedly, the "undodgable" part was only said when bullets were fast by his standard, but it still is a massive difference in speed. I and Litentric both tough that a "possibly FTL" would be best to use.
I mean, the main issue is that someone who is saying "Lightning is as fast as light" is scientifically wrong to begin with. IDK if it was a mistake on the author's part regarding the science of it or if they purposefully wanted lightning in verse to go at SoL, and we'd need an abundance of evidence to prove that this is consistent despite the obvious contradictions with physics.

Dargoo Faust said:
According to our Laser/Light Beam Dodging Feats page you'd need to prove those lasers and attacks have realistic properties.
Well, yeah, it works with the "The beam reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror", since it is plain said that Han used it because light was reflecting off of his clothes.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Well, yeah, it works with the "The beam reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror", since it is plain said that Han used it because light was reflecting off of his clothes.
Light doesn't reflect off of clothing though, much of it is absorbed on the surface.

It doesn't reflect completely, yeah, but the reason we can see is because some of it is reflected and enters our eye. Which was the reasoning that made Han think that since he could see the dude, as well as talk with him, light and sound could enter the barrier.

Is the lightning natural or some special lightning? If it is the former, then I'm pretty sure it's just the author not knowing the speed of lightning.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
It doesn't reflect completely, yeah, but the reason we can see is because some of it is reflected and enters our eye. Which was the reasoning that made Han think that since he could see the dude, as well as talk with him, light and sound could enter the barrier.
Yes, however it most certainly doesn't reflect in a straight beam the same way it would off of a mirror. The uneven surface makes the light disperse, so a beam wouldn't be visible anymore.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
The lightning is made with magic.
Is it ever compared to natural lightning though? I assume the original MHS ratings had to come from somewhere.

Well, yeah, but he wasn't expecting it to be reflected. The point was that since normal light can pass through, so should his laser.

He was aiming to kill the dude, it just happens that space being distorted distorted light too, to an extent.

My point is that the reflection of the light off of an uneven and not very reflective surface like clothing wouldn't be visible as a beam as the energy would disperse. That isn't realistic.

...Why does that matter here tough? The point is that normal light was being reflected normally, so Han tried to use a laser, since light can pass through the barrier.

It wasn't reflected, space distorted. He attempted to use it, since normal light can pass through, but the spatial distortion works on all light beyond a certain potency.

To be honest tough, I'll just wait with this.

The SoL stuff can be vaved off as ignorance on the authors part for now, and the author is retroactively retconning stuss, amking peeps stronger.

I mean, Hwan Sung-Go in season 1 was a supersonic 8-A.

Yeah, lightning being SoL is a common misconception too.

I'm going to hit the hay soon so ping me later tomorrow and I'll get back on the laser discussion.

Yeah, it's incredible how the author has Han intercept light and lightning attack with telekinesis guided balls, but then have him mention how his flying faster than sound.

I mean, that could just be travel vs combat speed.

All this discrepancy is because of the church of marks arc. Starting with the guild leader.

I would say that too, if he wasn't surprised that Yoohwa could intercept him at that speed.

That, and he tought Yoohwa would die if he rammed into her at Supersonic speeds.

True. But maybe he thought she was physically weak. She's disabled, so it's obvious why he would think her durability lower than her AP.

IMO travel speed should always be considered seperate from combat speed until proven otherwise. Flying long distances is almost never equated with short burst dodging and attacking.

Back