• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Friendship powerup

A major theme in all media. The villain or ineffectual l Loner mocks the idea of relying on others, insisting that friends make you weak and only fear brings servitude . Then to his extreme shock and dismay that they really do stand up for him, and this really does enable the hero to kick the #### out of the bad guy. The saying : Having friends makes you strong.Even what you are in the dark("No one will ever know.") can depend on your memory of your friends.

What series is most guilty of this in your opinion (theirs gonna be aot of shonen.)

Fairy Tail is the most offensive of this in my eyes.

Natsu Dragneel Angry
Nakama powers activate.

On another note, there is a series where the MC grows stronger with allies...literally.

Like the guy amps up the physical stats of every ally he touches, as well as himself.

Double arts manga
Double Arts (Manga)

Fairy Tail is BY far the biggest example. Every single fight has a nakama speech. I have nothing against the fans but the anime itself is cringeworthy. Quit watching half a year ago

Faisal Shourov said:
Fairy Tail is BY far the biggest example. Every single fight has a nakama speech. I have nothing against the fans but the anime itself is cringeworthy. Quit watching half a year ago
Hiro Mashima wants to teach his younger viewers the importance of frienship in people lives

In terms of being overly dependent on friendship? Rather than series, how about which reality is the most overly dependent on friendship, that not once, did they decided not to fight on their own?

Gemmysaur said:
Fairy Tail is the most offensive of this in my eyes.
Natsu Dragneel Angry
Nakama powers activate.

On another note, there is a series where the MC grows stronger with allies...literally.

Like the guy amps up the physical stats of every ally he touches, as well as himself.

Double arts manga
Double Arts (Manga)
To be fair, Fairy Tail battles made a good deal of sense up to around the Oraction Seis arc.

Erza picked apart Midnight's magic and exploited its weakness while his personality of flaws kept him from retaliating out of shock.

The Gray and Lyon vs Racer fight had them figure out that Racer's ability was not speed but speed perception manipulation, exploiting the limits of its range to take him down.

Lucy beat the KISS-wannabe guy (can't remember his name) by overloading his hair with water (hair does have a set limit on what it can absorb).

Mirajane's power as an S-Class Mage was heavily foreshadowed before she went ape-shit on Freed for torturing Elfman.

It was easier for Natsu (read: actually possible) to beat Laxus because the latter drained himself from attempting to use Fairy Law even though he truly loved his guild at heart (which was foreshadowed by Makarov's fond memories of Laxus's childhood).

Among other things. I won't defend it now (but hey, at least the Azeal/Ajeel fight was actually respectable), but I'm just putting this out.

Double Arts also had a lot of potential. Too bad it got axed.

Although this is not an anime but a cartoon, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic relays on the power of Friendship (The verse is in this wiki btw) most of the times they beat a villian with the elements of harmony/ Rainbow Power which is deus ex machina or "Friendship power" of their universe.

while it is, By Far Fairytail, a series that flies under the radar alot abusing this theme would be Yu-Gi-Oh

Ah yes, the "Heart of the Cards" and "Kattobingu" logic. I swear, Card Game anime pull more Deus Ex Machinas than any other series I know.

Wow.....it seems like Fairy Tail is a huge offender of this trope going by the mutiple votes. I'm glad nobody mentioned Kingdom Hearts or the Megaman Battle Network games. Although they all have the same themes, I feel like KH and Megaman's are legitimate.

Battle Network does have its moments, but at least it's rooted into the story (Full Synchro and Hub Form).

So does Persona (Social Links anyone?)

Reppuzan said:
Battle Network does have its moments, but at least it's rooted into the story (Full Synchro and Hub Form).
So does Persona (Social Links anyone?)
That's literally the purpose of Persona Social Links, though.

I admit, some of them are better than others, but some i legitimately liked, especially in Persona 3. I loved Mitsuru, Maya, and the Old Couple especially.

Let's break it down into simpler, non-literary words. The same effects related to friendship in some realities weren't just a one-time event, but actually occurs more than once during significant events and rather than an obvious or tedious foreseen explaination, it's given rather complex and not so plain explainations?

Well, there is nothing morally wrong with teaching young readers that it is not constructive to completely isolate oneself.

Digimon has always been pretty bad about it, a lot of the (if not all of them) digivolutions were triggered by friendship. My favorite example. https://youtu.be/xknTFf7s4IY?t=59.

My Little Pony was always very blatant about it, though the series was called "Friendship is Magic" so I guess I can't really blame it to much.

Friendship being an actual source of power as opposed to an author's excuse is way more interesting to me than some guy getting angry because someone knocked his ice cream cone out of his hand for the thirty thousandth time and getting strong.

Promestein said:
is way more interesting to me than some guy getting angry because someone knocked his ice cream cone out of his hand for the thirty thousandth time and getting strong.
How dare you insult the sum total of Broly's backstory and character?!

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
How dare you insult the sum total of Broly's backstory and character?!
I was actually thinking of the Hulk when I said that, but it applies to Broly too.

Promestein said:
Friendship being an actual source of power as opposed to an author's excuse is way more interesting to me than some guy getting angry because someone knocked his ice cream cone out of his hand for the thirty thousandth time and getting strong.
It's fine and all for motivation some few times, not an asspull power up it tends to be portrayed as.

"I'm out of energy, but my friends are in trouble so I gotta throw 200% more energy."

Gemmysaur said:
It's fine and all for motivation some few times, not an asspull power up it tends to be portrayed as.

"I'm out of energy, but my friends are in trouble so I gotta throw 200% more energy."
I'm talking "actual source of power" as in Elements of Harmony, which are established items that gain power from those things, not Fairy Tail type stuff.

Something with established rules is better than inexplicable garbage. Rage boosting Hulk and Broly and even Gohan (as much as I love Gohan) is the same kind of asspull as what you're trashing. It's boring, it's predictable, and it's lazy writing.

Doraemons

This may not be too popular with the Western culture, but The Doraemons, a spin-off of Doraemon used friendship power before it was cool. Hell, these 7 even have a gadget that creates forcefield, transfers energy or power-ups one of them using friendship :3 I'm pretty sure most Asians know this series...

Anyway Doraemons' Friendship >>>> FT's power-up :v

Promestein said:
I'm talking "actual source of power" as in Elements of Harmony, which are established items that gain power from those things, not Fairy Tail type stuff.

Something with established rules is better than inexplicable garbage. Rage boosting Hulk and Broly and even Gohan (as much as I love Gohan) is the same kind of asspull as what you're trashing. It's boring, it's predictable, and it's lazy writing.
If it's an actually explained in how they get boosts, then I'm fine with it as it's not an asspull.

E.g. Double Arts manga

The Fairy Tail stuff is what I was referring to, so yeah.

The Rage monsters, well, I agree that they're similarly asspulls. I mean, how angry can one get right?

Gemmysaur said:
If it's an actually explained in how they get boosts, then I'm fine with it as it's not an asspull.

E.g. Double Arts manga

The Fairy Tail stuff is what I was referring to, so yeah.

The Rage monsters, well, I agree that they're similarly asspulls. I mean, how angry can one get right?
They're never angry enough, man. There's always another rock to stub a toe on and go berserk over.

It's fine, it's fine.

Let's continue talking about how stupid plot device friendship is, yeah.

Back