• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Flash (Barry Allen) (Pre-Crisis) Revision:

Yes. So what, if anything, is left to do here?

But weren't pre-Crisis character power levels largely changed retroactively in post-Crisis relative to the depowered Superman?

Superman changed (as in Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis Superman are two different versions of the same character), Green Lanterns and the Flashes didn't, they just got weaker. Especially Wally who was already suffering from metabolism problems in Crisis but then his mental barrier turned him subsonic. Eventually he surpassed Pre-Crisis Barry which is why he was able to make quick work of Pre-Crisis Eobard who was around equal to Pre-Crisis Barry. I think Eobard also had some wins against Green Lantern who was definitely Superman level.

I think that the power level changes were retroactive.

Then again, Wally West also beat up the Anti-Monitor once, so it isn't absolutely certain in his case.

Definitely, the Pre-Crisis characters' strongest attacks were doing nothing to him until Wally amped them with some Speed Force, he was still moving so fast that he was invisible to them. Even in the original story Pre-Crisis Superman's strongest attacks did nothing to him and he's been able to destroy an object that could withstand the Big Bang (it was around the same time). This was all in Chain Lightning where the IMP came from, so Wally scaling above Pre-Crisis Superman and fighting Pre-Crisis Eobard who's a rival to Pre-Crisis Barry should give some validation for Pre-Crisis Barry scaling to Pre-Crisis Supes.

Well, it is the post-Crisis Wally West Flash who beat up the Anti-Monitor and by far exceeded the speed levels of Barry Allen.

Probably, yes, but it was a very explicit feat.

I am not sure. My apologies for derailing.

Definitely not an outlier, especially considering his source of power. At the end of the story he overloaded Cobalt Blue with infinite energy by channelling the Speed Force into him. I have plenty of speed feats for Pre-Crisis Barry Allen but he just doesn't have many good attack potency feats and speed isn't allowed to be used to scale attack potency here.

I don't think that we can scale pre-Crisis to post-Crisis or vice versa, given that the entire continuity was retroactively changed, so the post-Crisis characters still remember fighting the Anti-Monitor during the original Crisis event.

I don't understand this retroactive thing you're talking about. The Flashes were unchanged after Crisis, Wally just became weaker due to his mental barrier which he overcame. Either way, Pre-Crisis Barry and Wally have enough good speed feats on their own, just little to no impressive AP feats.

I mean that since Superman, Wonder Woman and other characters had their entire histories and power levels rewritten, all of the other characters also had all of their interactions with them and their relative power levels retroactively changed accordingly.

I think that may have been an outlier and plot-induced stupidity. Pre-Crisis his speed was generally not treated as scaling to his attack potency.

He actually should have several keys, base key (low multiversal) all-out key ( multiversal+ for generating more energy than the antimatter cannon) and spectral flash key ( it's an alternate form, easily beat up spectre, so he should be multiversal+, the feat happened in brave and bold vol 1 issue 72).

Here are my evaluations so far.

• Showcase Vol 1 #13 March 1958
    • Barry rebuilds a Pyramid in a few seconds
  • Justice League of America Vol 1 #8 January 1962
    • Barry and Green Lantern are forced to fight each other.
  • The Flash Vol 1 #126 February 1962
    • Barry survives getting transmuted into a mirror, melts himself in an incredibly short time and turns back into cells.
  • The Flash Vol 1 #143 March 1964
    • Barry knocks out a Green Lantern duplicate who has an improved Power Ring with one punch.
    • It's shown earlier that the construct shields easily stop Barry's attacks, so it's unclear if Barry should scale to punching out a blended clone with no shield.
  • Justice League of America Vol 1 #29 August 1964
    • Arguably staggers Ultraman
    • Barry disorients Ultraman with self-made Air Pressure.
  • The Flash Vol 1 #153 June 1965
    • Barry lands a mighty punch, knocking Eobard out. As this caused the vibrations which kept him in the 20th Century to cease, Zoom returned to his own era, where the authorities found him, unconscious.
  • The Brave and the Bold Vol 1 #72 June 1967
    • The Spectre must stop the ghost of a fallen World War I ace from taking revenge on his old squadron members, even though his opponent has turned the Flash into a ghostly being and bent him to his will.
    • 2-A | Phantom Flash trades blows with the Spectre and blitzes him.
    • MFTL+ | Phantom Flash runs across the Moon's surface in a fraction of an Instant and explores the rest of the Solar system and beyond
  • Superman Vol 1 #199 August 1967
    • Superman and The Flash agree to a race around the world to benefit the United Nations. It's a tie.
  • The Flash Vol 1 #175 December 1967
  • The Flash Vol 1 #203 February 1971
    • Barry creates three fully-sized tornadoes
  • Action Comics Vol 1 #437 July 1974
    • Flash fights Superman
    • It's unlikely that Barry can normally hurt Superman as Superman states "Ordinarily, those blows wouldn't even tickle me, but this is no ordinary fight!" Effron the Sorcerer is influencing the fights and absorbing the energy from the fights.
  • Justice League of America Vol 1 #125 December 1975
    • Barry evades Superman.
  • The Flash Vol 1 #277 September 1979
    • A drugged Barry runs circles around the JLA.
    • Superman catches and stops Barry twice.
  • The Flash Vol 1 #324 August 1983
    • Barry breaks Eobard's neck and kills him.
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths Vol 1 #8 November 1985
    • Destroys Anti-Monitor's Anti-Matter Cannon. Barry ran against the flow of Anti-Matter, forcing its energies back into the machine. He destroys the outer casing and then the entire thing.
  • Super Powers Vol 2 #6 February 1986
    • Barry is defeated by Darkseid's Omega Beams. Darkseid didn't intend to kill Barry.

From what I've seen, Base Pre-Crisis Flash shouldn't physically scale in AP to Superman or to Hal's constructs as shown by Superman's above statement and how he hasn't been shown breaking or holding back constructs.

Well, he consistently fights alongside or against JLA. Reverse Flash, who Barry scales to also beat Hal up quite a lot of times. When Barry got ma because of the death of Iris, he attacked JLA and gave them quite a beating.

Back