• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Favorite Quotes in Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then... he shoots fire from the skies and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him.
~ Batma, on Superma

Let's lay down a few ground rules. Until this is over, you're a dog on a leash. I say bark, you bark. And if I have to kick you, you'd better not bare your teeth. Understand?... Or should I teach you to play dead?
~ The Watcher​

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up."

-Rose Walker, The Sandman

You're not the type that knows everything, but you are the type that can do everything. You may not be omniscient but you are omnipotent...
tier 0 profile when?

"Strip him of his status and a man becomes no different from any other of his fellow humans. That is all there is to it- no, that is indeed how it must be. We fall when struck; we die when shot. That is how man ought to be. No one can escape death. And so we live our lives till death's hour struck, and we return to dust from whence we came. And I am more content we that myself. Death is the inevitable fate of all that lives. I am no exception"

- Reinhard telling Mercurius he is human

"Man must hunger, lust and crave for as long as his heart beats in his chest. No matter where life takes him, no matter what nourishment fate offers him, his thirst fades not - all that await any such being is ruination. If there really was anyone like that, I think his very birth would be an error of nature."

-Reinhard explaining what he thinks about a man's nature

(I'm sorry i have multiple but human rein has great quotes me thinks)

Type for me to post my favorite (and least coherent) Sermon from the 36 Lessons of Vivec:

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:36_Lessons_of_Vivec,_Sermon_35

(Divided into paragraphs because otherwise it's just unreadable)

THE SCRIPTURE OF LOVE:
"The formulas of proper Velothi magic continue in ancient tradition, but that virility is dead, by which I mean at least replaced. Truth owes its medicinal nature to the establishment of the myth of justice. Its curative properties it likewise owes to the concept of sacrifice. Princes, chiefs, and angels all subscribe to the same notion. This is a view primarily based on a prolific abolition of an implied profanity, seen in ceremonies, knife fighting, hunting, and the exploration of the poetic. On the ritual of occasions, which comes to us from the days of the cave glow, I can say nothing more than to loosen your equation of moods to lunar currency.
Later, and by that I mean much, much later, my reign will be seen as an act of the highest love, which is a return from the astral destiny and the marriages between. By that I mean the catastrophes, which will come from all five corners. Subsequent are the revisions, differentiated between hope and the distraught, situations that are only required by the periodic death of the immutable. Cosmic time is repeated: I wrote of this in an earlier life. An imitation of submersion is love's premonition, its folly into the underworld, by which I mean the day you will read about outside of yourself in an age of gold. For on that day, which is a shadow of the sacrificial concept, all history is obliged to see me for what you are: in love with evil.
To keep one's powers intact at such a stage is to allow for the existence of what can only be called a continual spirit. Make of your love a defense against the horizon. Pure existence is only granted to the holy, which comes in a myriad of forms, half of them frightening and the other half divided into equal parts purposeless and assured. Late is the lover that comes to this by any other walking way than the fifth, which is the number of the limit of this world. The lover is the highest country and a series of beliefs. He is the sacred city bereft of a double. The uncultivated land of monsters is the rule. This is clearly attested by ANU and his double, which love knows never really happened.
Similarly, all the other symbols of absolute reality are ancient ideas ready for their graves, or at least the essence of such. This scripture is directly ordered by the codes of Mephala, the origin of sex and murder, defeated only by those who take up those ideas without my intervention. The religious elite is not a tendency or a correlation. They are dogma complemented by the influence of the untrustworthy sea and the governance of the stars, dominated at the center by the sword, which is nothing without a victim to cleave unto. This is the love of God and he would show you more: predatory but at the same time instrumental to the will of critical harvest, a scenario by which one becomes as he is, of male and female, the magic hermaphrodite.
Mark the norms of violence and it barely registers, suspended as it is by treaties written between the original spirits. This should be seen as an opportunity, and in no way tedious, though some will give up for it is easier to kiss the lover than become one. The lower regions crawl with these souls, caves of shallow treasures, meeting in places to testify by way of extension, when love is only satisfied by a considerable (incalculable) effort."

If you can make sense of this I'll give you a cookie.

"No. No! Not in the slightest! I wasn't merely waiting for my death. That is the life of a dead man. How is it any different from a prisoner on death row? I have yet to achieve anything. Does that not contradict with my dignity?

I distanced myself from the thrill of men, labelling them all as waste by the wayside as I pass through. I wished to love all and everything, yet none could withstand my love. Ah, why can't you withstand my touch? If a mere graze upon your delicate skin sends you to myraids of pieces then how can you hope to withstand my embrace? Such Cruelty. Why must this world -from the tiniest blade of grass to the vastest of mountains- be so painfully fragile? So be it. My love shall take in the form of destruction. I shall ravage so I can cherish. I adore the weak the bow before me, as well as the defeated that bend their knees. My loves expands to vassals that rebel and those who mean me harm. I love all and everything. And so I shall lay waste to all before me.

This is the sole principle resonating within me. I lived gazing at and feeling death. But that was not out of aspiration for self-ruination. I merely found it unbearable to leave all the little things I cherished without attention. And for that very reason must our inevitable end be remembered- Memento Mori.

I shall love all. There shan't be an exception. For it would be remiss of me not to cherish and reward all and everyone in equal measure. That's right I...I LOVE ALL AND EVERYTHING!"

-Reinhard after realizing his nature as mercurius's apoptosis for the first time

"Every age, it seems, is tainted by the greed of men.
Rubbish, to one such as I, devoid of all worldly wants! Hmmm, I dunno, maybe it's just the way we are.
I'll stick you in my prayers. A fine dark soul, to you."

- Unbreakable Patches.

Also this exchange:

Joker: Obvious... and everybody knows. You wear your shame like a badge. Because you don't have the balls to actually pin one on. Yes... just look at you... desperate to be feared, you want to be perceived as a monster, draped in black. And yet... you leave that little window... a glimpse at the perfection underneath. Obvious - the chiseled good looks - not the jaw, the mouth of a monster... why do you let it be seen? Tell me why.

Batma: To mock you.

"Fear is a weed, snaking in the dark. It vines within the mind, corrupting it. It germinates within tribes, dividing them. Your graces, we who are beyond death, have forgotten the simple power of fear. Let us now remember. You will find no greater power than the simple thought of your own name, inscribed upon a grave.

Our harbinger, our terror ... Nekros.
"

- the reveal of Nekros Prime, Warframe.

"Oh, how you suffered to become this beast. Yet you laughed at me. Others writhed and raged in the vice, but you, you played the fool. And so it was, that you distorted my design.

A sanguine trick. A murderous comedy. But no one is laughing anymore... except you.

The mere vapors of your life, shimmering still. Mirage.
"

- the reveal of Mirage Prime, Warframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back