• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Favorite Quotes in Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yeah? but I'm taller"

...also, I really don't get why people consider it a bad line.

Hey, don't take that tone with me, kid! I'll kick your ass!

Oh yeah?! I'd like to see you try, asshole! I'm like six feet tall!

In this moment I record anomalous reactions… Similar to what you call pain… And of that I'm happy.
Together we discovered many things, but the most important one is the certainty the impossible does not exist.

And so, with this certainty, I know that somewhere, somehow, we will meet again.

I'm sure that you'll get by without my help. Anyways, I hope that my little gift will keep you some company.

You see, hero? I dream. I hope. I suffer. And this means only one thing…

I'm alive… And as long as you'll remember me, then I'll keep existing.

Farewell, my friend.

~ Computer ONE's last words​
(I turned the exclamation points into periods 'cuz when wrote outside of a comic ending every frase with a ! sound very silly)

Here's a series of lines from the original Kung Fu Panda that I feel are really powerful. The exchange is between Tai Lung and Shifu, and the serious nature of fights like these being a foil to Po's comedic journey is what makes the movie so special.

"You knew I was the Dragon Warrior. You always knew. But! When Oogway said otherwise... what did you do? What did you do!? Nothing!"

"You were not meant to be the Dragon Warrior! That was not my fault."

"Not your fault? Who filled my head with dreams? Who drove me to train until my bones cracked? Who denied me my destiny!?"

"It was never my decision to make."

Tai Lung then goes over to pick up the late Oogway's staff and looks at Shifu.

"It is now."

Here's the original scene if you're interested.

"Oh, to hell with our orders, Homer!
Why do you think we're fighting this war? Because of our orders?! Of course not!
We are fighting to protect people like these! Am i right?!
I'm not about to walk on by after seeing a defenseless village taking Imperial fire!"

"What a base and trifling creature is man. Yet at once he is master of this empyreal flow, grand as all the heavens. I bid you, hone your spirit, refine it. I will await you in the crucible of souls"

"Don't think for yourself no Find out where you came from Dress up like a ****** Base your life on choices of dead old people They musta known somethin' that we don't"

That's right. That's how you were from the beginning. You can't help but save those who need rescuing. And in times like that... There isn't a wall that can stop you!

"As long as men thrill to daring deeds...as long as they dream of high adventure and the throwing-off of the shackles of mortal limitations...the original Superman who burst upon a startled world in 1938 will live. And that, hopefully, will be a very long time indeed."

"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms laid spread across the world. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler, who knows well his saga. Now, let me tell you of the days of high adventure..."

You know something? I really hate people. They're selfish, ignorant, loud obnoxious pricks, with basically no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I mean really, look at all they've achieved! Genocide, global warming, reality TV, and just a never ending parade of failures and **** ups! They are, without question, a complete write-off of a species, and how dare you make me care about them!

^ That quote is actually in my linguistics/worldbuilding textbook, lol.

Edit: I was wrong, but it was a similar quote.

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."

The comic relief of Yu Yu Hakusho has some of the best quotes in the series.

A mulberry is a tree, Kuwabara is a man, and I'll prove it! We all have to die when our time comes, but if we do our duty we don't got regrets. So taste a little piece of my sword, Toguro!
~ Kuwabara​
When real men do what they're supposed to, it's not always about what they want.
~ Kuwabara​
Sacrificing your life to save billions of others. You've lit our torches and I won't let your death be in vain... even if it means I'll be joining you soon.
~ Kuwabara​
Or this entire exchange:

[at Yusuke's wake]

Komada: "Come on, let's go back! This isn't right!"

Kuwabara: "Shut up! Let go of me, wouldja?"

Yusuke('s ghost): "What? Kuwabara?!"

Kuwabara: [entering Yusuke's apartment while being restrained by his friends and screaming at his picture]"Damn you! You think you can just back out 'cause you're scared!"

Okubo: "Kuwabara, this place is for mourning!"

Kuwabara: "I'm not gonna leave! Not until he comes out here and lets me fight him!"

Okubo: "He can't do that!"

Kuwabara: "I'm gonna beat you down, you punk! You hear me?" [his voice breaks as he tries to hit the picture] "Who do you think you are, huh? Dirty punk! Who am I gonna fight now? Who am I gonna fight?"

Sandman31 said:
"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."
This is from Neil Gaiman isn't it?

" 'I have a dream.' That one day every person in this nation will control their own destiny. A land of the truly free, dammit. A nation of action, not words! Ruled by strength, not committee! Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of the people! Where every man is free to think - to act - for himself! **** all these limp-dick lawyers and chickenshit bureaucrats. **** this 24-hour Internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit! **** American pride! **** the media! **** ALL OF IT! America is diseased. Rotten to the core. There's no saving it - we need to pull it out by the roots. Wipe the slate clean. BURN IT DOWN! And from the ashes, a new America will be born. Evolved, but untamed! The weak will be purged and the strongest will thrive - free to live as they see fit, they'll make America great again! In my new America, people will die and kill for what they BELIEVE! Not for money, not for oil! Not for what they're told is right. Every man will be free to fight his own wars!"

"What I felt with those hero games was that the whole system is completely absurd. This system where the popular guy, loved by everyone, beats down a much weaker guy, who everyone hates. Hero? Isn't that just the description of a bully? Our make believe game was an exact imitation of the TV series that our society targets a children. Sure, you can pick your roles, but when playing with others, you'll depend on their approval to be accepted as the hero. So my turn would never come. And, needless to say, there was never any story where the monster wins in the end. From the very beginning I was destined to be humiliated.

What is "Evil"? What is "Justice"? All those pretty words mean is that I should go and die because the majority wants me dead! This is absurd! They can all go to hell! Maybe I can't understand the reasons, but I'm still pissed off! All I want is to make them understand this…to make'em eat one good punch from the losing side! To go beyond this viewpoint of good and evil!"

Not sure if this was correct translation though.

^ A fellow Mr. Robot fan! Good taste.

"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve. It may not be immediate, and often your greater dreams are something you will not achieve within your own lifetime. The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death." ~Monty Oum

This really touches my soul, especially considering that Monty himself had so many projects that were never finished.. I'm glad I found this after being gutpunched by the lack of a resolution in "Dead Fantasy," which I only recently found; Monty died before his true potential was fulfilled, but he left behind some truly remarkably graceful works of choreography.

I´m glad none of these have been said already:

"You´re gonna have a bad time" - Ness

"What are you doing in my swamp?!" - Shrek

"I´m really feeling it!" - Shulk

"Gotta go fast!" - Sonic X theme

"You´re too slow" - Sonic

Sidney Lumet's "Nework" may be the most prescient work of the 1970s. I'll hazard that it is one of the most profound pieces of art ever created. All wrapped up in a hilarious comedy that remains as relevant today as it was all those decades ago. Almost every scene in the film contains some of the best writing and acting to grace the medium, so I'll let you experience the movie for yurself instead of linking more scenes.

Bonus: a song with clips from the film.

"Purge me from your computers; turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing!"-Ultron

"Bury me in the ocean. Like my ancestors, who jumped from the ships, because they knew that death was better than bondage."-Killmonger

"Go then. There are worlds other than these"-Jake Chambers

It's true that I was executed. There was ridicule, and there was disdain. However—that gives me no reason to murder them in return. I became a queen because the people asked me to. A queen cannot be without her people. Thus, it was inevitable. If they don't want you, then you exit even if you don't want to. That is the destiny of those serving their country. I believe my execution led to my people's next smile.

No matter when, viva la France! Stars glimmer, and that will do. That's all we need... If I can help the Saint who saved France... No, if I can help a friend. Then I will gladly shed the last of my radiance and fall. Like a star, like a flower. Like a fleeting dream.

That is what a Servant is, and how Marie Antoinette lives!
~ Marie Antoinette as she sacrifices herself to buy time for Jeanne d'Arc to save France​
Fate went out of its way to make Marie Antoinette a really interesting character.

Some fools think the clockwork is for clocks alone. When one witness the power of rotating gears ticking away, it's obvious that clockwork can do just about anything one want it to do: maybe the creator of the universe himself wound up existence like a clock and let the gears spin on their own, ticking away the centuries.

-Europe Universalis 4 (In game narration, not character statement)

"You just might die"

-Gelda Nebilim

And basically every other thing she says during a Mystic Arte, this particular line just happened to be my favourite.

It's short, sweet, and really fits considering she killed me a million times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back