• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Expanding the References for Common Feats page

Thank you for the information. 🙏

As long as they have each been evaluated and accepted by at least two of our calc group members, they should probably be fine to add. 🙏

Thank you for the information. 🙏

As long as they have each been evaluated and accepted by at least two of our calc group members, they should probably be fine to add. 🙏
Is somebody here willing to apply this please? As long as it fulfills the requirements mentioned above that is. 🙏
This common feat reference is not accurate, at least not usually. As shown here, here, here, here, here, here and here, the doorframe, door jamb, hinges, screws and even the door itself generally break before the latch does.
It seems like this needs to be handled as well. 🙏

@Elizhaa @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @Colonel_Krukov @Just_a_Random_Butler @Dereck03 @Shadowbokunohero @QrowBarr @Crazylatin77 @Zaratthustra @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Therefir @IdiosyncraticLawyer @GarrixianXD @Catzlaflame @Vzearr

This common feat reference is not accurate, at least not usually. As shown here, here, here, here, here, here and here, the doorframe, door jamb, hinges, screws and even the door itself generally break before the latch does.
As the guy who calced the feat, I'm pretty sure that's because those guys are doing much more than just slamming the door open. You can't just insinuate that this nobbly thing that is the latch is stronger than any part of the door (which is made of the same material: brass) or even the entire door:
latest

Especially when there is an example of the feat where literally only the latch would have been destroyed by the slam:

As the guy who calced the feat, I'm pretty sure that's because those guys are doing much more than just slamming the door open. You can't just insinuate that this nobbly thing that is the latch is stronger than any part of the door (which is made of the same material: brass) or even the entire door:
latest
In most cases the thing that breaks is the wood on the door jamb in front of the latch, as shown in those images. We're talking about a tiny sliver of wood reinforced by a thin strike plate which is usually held in place by short screws. This page here describes the other items that break when a door is kicked open, and it's generally not the actual bolt that breaks. This video also shows a door kicked in.

Snapping a solid piece of brass is generally harder than snapping a smaller length of wood and knocking out short screws. There's a reason why a prominent advice for strengthening doors against kicks is installing a longer strike plate and using longer screws. The door's latch gets knocked into the strike plate, which is fastened by screws which are in the door jamb. Usually those are short screws in a wooden door jamb. The screws come loose, the strike plate moves, the thin piece of wood the strike plate is over snaps, and the door is forced open, while the latch remains undamaged. That is actually shown in this image, where you can see the latch was forced through the door jamb, ripping the strike plate straight off the jamb. This image also shows the jamb ripped through, although no strike plate is shown. In both those images you can see the door was shoved open, forcing the latch through the door jamb.

I can tell you from real life experience installing, fixing and reinforcing doors, windows and locks, including ones that had been broken into, that breaking doors open very rarely involves shearing the latch in half. It is almost always the door jamb that breaks.
Especially when there is an example of the feat where literally only the latch would have been destroyed by the slam:

If the feat specifically shows the latch snapping, that's different.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping out. Please ask other calc group members to evaluate both that and our currently used official calculation, and to decide which of them that seems most reliable. 🙏

I'm hijacking this post for a related question.
Would it be possible to expand the Throwing a Person to the Horizon calc to also feature the LS required to do so? As of now, it assumes the target is struck by a blow, but it's pretty common to have characters achieving this trope with a physical throw.
I think that this seems like a good idea. 🙏

Would it be possible to expand the Throwing a Person to the Horizon calc to also feature the LS required to do so? As of now, it assumes the target is struck by a blow, but it's pretty common to have characters achieving this trope with a physical throw.
Yeah it'd be pretty simple you're just using a length for the work to get the LS

Wouldn't this just be Average Human class since we're using the average weight of a human (70 kilograms)? Or are we looking to expand it based upon the characters' weights & the speed they're thrown at?

Wouldn't this just be Average Human class since we're using the average weight of a human (70 kilograms)? Or are we looking to expand it based upon the characters' weights & the speed they're thrown at?
No? Throwing your average joe the horizon should be Class M

Using 1.7m average height in the blog and this human proportions calculator you get an arm length of 0.8 and you're typing throwing at a 45 degree angle so you get 0.628319m arm movement

Normal human vision:
583,690 Joules / 0.628319m = 94728.657901kg or 94.72866 Metric Tons (Class 100)

Peak human vision:
1.4592e6 Joules / 0.628319m = 236817.58807kg or 236.81758807 Metric Tons (Class K)

Superhuman vision:
2.9184e6 Joules / 0.628319m = 473635.17511kg or 473.635175 Metric Tons (Class K)

coulda sworn this would be Class M but here we are

If I wanted to calc shooting through Earth would it be simple as destruction calcs or is there more? And also how would I do shooting through a star or Jupiter

We already have the energy in joules just get the work by dividing the body/arm movement of the throw

Joules/distance for the work
Using 1.7m average height in the blog and this human proportions calculator you get an arm length of 0.8 and you're typing throwing at a 45 degree angle so you get 0.628319m arm movement

Normal human vision:

Peak human vision:
1.4592e6 Joules / 0.628319m = 236817.58807kg or 236.81758807 Metric Tons (Class K)

Superhuman vision:
2.9184e6 Joules / 0.628319m = 473635.17511kg or 473.635175 Metric Tons (Class K)

Oh yeah... I forgot about that. Should we add this to the page, then?

Last edited:
I admittedly don't know how the procedure to add calcs to the page works, but if we provide a proper evaluation in this thread or a blog for the calc up here then it should be fine, I guess?

I admittedly don't know how the procedure to add calcs to the page works, but if we provide a proper evaluation in this thread or a blog for the calc up here then it should be fine, I guess?
Yes. For safety reasons we need at least two calc group members evaluating and accepting a calculation before it can be added to our standard feats page though, and if a new calculation is suggested to replace a previous identical feat there, both calculations need to be evaluated in a calc group forum discussion thread as usual. 🙏

Normal human vision:

Peak human vision:

Superhuman vision:

Yes. For safety reasons we need at least two calc group members evaluating and accepting a calculation before it can be added to our standard feats page though, and if a new calculation is suggested to replace a previous identical feat there, both calculations need to be evaluated in a calc group forum discussion thread as usual. 🙏
Well, it looks like Flashlight already did a calc regarding the force needed to do it here, but there doesn't seem to be many evaluations for it. So, which one seems to be the most accurate?

Well, it looks like Flashlight already did a calc regarding the force needed to do it here, but there doesn't seem to be many evaluations for it. So, which one seems to be the most accurate?
I think it's a hard press myself. Dale's calc basically just ran the KE backwards while I used kinematics equations for my result, but on reflection, would it really take an arm 0.15 seconds to accelerate to the speed needed?

They're done via different methods, though I think Dale's results make maybe a bit more sense.
I think it's a hard press myself. Dale's calc basically just ran the KE backwards while I used kinematics equations for my result, but on reflection, would it really take an arm 0.15 seconds to accelerate to the speed needed?
Okay, so what's the consensus for this now? Have we reached a conclusion yet?

I think unless there's a better way to calc this, we go with Dale's calc.
Alright, then I guess that's settled.

Normal human vision:

Peak human vision:

Superhuman vision:

Do we also know what the level of speed required to do this is?

Yes; it's the same speed listed in the original feat.
You mean right here [in bold]?
  • Normal human vision
    • 1.7 / 10^-3 = 1700
    • V = sqrt(1700*9.81) = 129.14 m/s
    • KE = 129.14^2 x 0.5 x 70 = 583,690 Joules, Wall level
  • Peak human vision
    • 1.7 / (4 x 10^-4) = 4250
    • V = sqrt(4250*9.81) = 204.19 m/s
    • KE = 204.19^2 x 0.5 x 70 = 1.4592e6 Joules, Wall level
  • Superhuman vision
    • 1.7 / (2 x 10^-4) = 8500
    • V = sqrt(8500*9.81) = 288.77 m/s
    • KE = 288.77^2 x 0.5 x 70 = 2.9184e6 Joules, Wall level
Are we sure there aren't any values that need to be adjusted?

Back