• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Establishing combat skill requirements

A more interesting question I suppose is how one would rank animals that are otherwise Animalistic to High Animalistic across the board but can then use weapons meant for humans with little issues. Some examples off the top of my head are Sif from Dark Souls or the upcoming DinoBlade game that Jean Nguyen is working on.

I disagree with the idea of categorizing skill levels at all. As this thread has already amply shown there isn't a consensus on what is better than what, and the standards presented by the OP are already very silly. I don't think good standards for this sort of thing can exist, and they definitely haven't been proposed to far.
I actually came here to write this out in a more angry way but Armor said it right. Despite the zeitgeist's interest in combat skill, it is an essentially arbitrary thing to measure beyond saying that, yes, this guy is skilled. I disagree with the foundation of the thread.

Shouldn't there be an intelligence for strategy as well? Like for example I don't think Shikamaru is all that skilled in combat, but he greatly excels in "combat intelligence" because of his battle strategy. I found the opposite problem with characters such as Zero (Mega Man), who is extremely skilled in combat, but his actual strategical prowess is lacking with no need to figure out an opponents strengths and weaknesses mid battle and really just resorts to fighting head on with pure skill

I feel like there's gotta be some kind of differentiation between the two

I disagree with the idea of categorizing skill levels at all. As this thread has already amply shown there isn't a consensus on what is better than what, and the standards presented by the OP are already very silly. I don't think good standards for this sort of thing can exist, and they definitely haven't been proposed to far.
I totally agree.

I recognize that DDM previously said they wouldn't close this but it should be Staff Discussion. I agree, and this is why I will also not close it, but will shift it to Staff Discussion. So bear in mind from here on out, you need permission to post (barring DaReaperMan, who I preemptively give what permission I can to post). You may request permission on my wall or another staff member's.

I suppose I should argue for the implementation of a skill section completely, huh?

1. It is becoming increasingly common to list a skill section in profiles, especially in extremely high-profile profiles like Goku, Hazbin Hotel Adam, and various HST profiles like Roronoa Zoro. It's something to keep track of how skilled they are, and while my opinion of the HST and DB ain't changing, you have to adapt to them.
  2. To add onto what I just said, organization of various intelligence has been something I've been doing more and more as well as something I'd straight up advertise new profile-makers to do, Skill and General being by far the most common of these organizations, but one of these doesn't have anything listed down for it.
  3. People are going to want to list their skillwank, so giving them guidelines is simply the obvious solution to the blatant issue that they're just going to slap whatever rating they want onto a new profile.

Yeah, I'm with that as well.

The criteria in the OP heavily favors variety in combat skill and learning, for example, but you can also be incredibly high via being super good in just one martial art. Whether the guy that can copy any real world martial art at a glance is better than a martial artist whose skill in one fighting style is so great that superhumanly skilled martial artists would consider it superhuman is hard to say.
And combat skill also goes beyond just martial arts skill and includes stuff like strategic thinking.

Btw. as a general tip to OP, try to avoid hyperbole like
their mere presence being capable of turning the fields of battle into their favor
in rules and definitions. It will be taken literally.

Yeah, I'm with that as well.

The criteria in the OP heavily favors variety in combat skill and learning, for example, but you can also be incredibly high via being super good in just one martial art. Whether the guy that can copy any real world martial art at a glance is better than a martial artist whose skill in one fighting style is so great that superhumanly skilled martial artists would consider it superhuman is hard to say.
And combat skill also goes beyond just martial arts skill and includes stuff like strategic thinking.
Hence the whole "Yo this can and will be rewritten" part of the OP. Plus, just throwing it out there, strategic thinking is apsolutely more of a general intelligence thing then a combat intelligence thing, what your thinking of is tactics. I'd be happy to refer to the entire thing as skill rather then combat intelligence, since 9/10 what you just mentioned gets lumped into either it's own section or with the general intelligence stuff

Btw. as a general tip to OP, try to avoid hyperbole like

in rules and definitions. It will be taken literally.
All right, will do!

barring DaReaperMan, who I preemptively give what permission I can to post
That's not necessary.
  • If a staff member permits a regular member to create a Staff Discussion thread, the thread starter is automatically permitted to continue posting indefinitely there unless those rights are specifically revoked.

Back