• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Escaping celestial bodies

I am wondering what one's LS has to be to escape Earth's gravity. And what the formula would be to get this.

I am wondering what one's LS has to be to escape Earth's gravity.
really depends on what you mean by this.
you, as a regular human, can - in a way - overpower earth's gravity by jumping. you're going upwards, until it pulls you back down.
context is key here, since your original description doesn't exactly convey the point i assume you're trying to make.

really depends on what you mean by this.
you, as a regular human, can - in a way - overpower earth's gravity by jumping. you're going upwards, until it pulls you back down.
context is key here, since your original description doesn't exactly convey the point i assume you're trying to make.
Escape velocity

So someone trying to escape Earth's pull wouldn't really need any LS,
overpowering earth's gravity isn't super-duper impressive - like i said, you're doing it every time you jump.
if you can already fly (i.e provide enough force against gravity to stay in the air) then yeah you don't need any extra LS to escape earth's pull.
[...] just speed?
this is only the case if something is non-propelled, i.e it isn't producing its own force.
think of it like this - if i wanted to put a rock in space, i'd need to throw it at escape velocity. because the moment that rock leaves my hands, gravity will try and pull it back down, so it needs to be moving fast enough to escape before it gets pulled down again.
a rocket does not have this problem because its thrusters are constantly providing force.

Basically, you just need to overcome the force you are exerting on the planet to lift yourself off the surface, therefore "overcoming gravity".

Jumping is one way, though the mechanics of a jump is actually pretty complex, as the angle of the knees may increase or decrease the force required to lift yourself off the ground.

But as a rule of thumb:
If force generated by jumping > force exerted by standing, then surface gravity is overcame.

Say a 60kg person stood on a planet with 10 m/s² of gravity, that would be a force of 600 Newtons by standing, and to overcome that, their jump must reach over 600 Newtons.

But that's an oversimplification, the mechanics behind jumping are complicated.

Going by Work-Energy Theorem, (Person Mass * 0.5 * (Escape Velocity)^2) / Distance Legs Move from crouch to full extension (typically 1/3rd the height) = Newtons

Back