• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Elder Scrolls - Limitless Dimensions?

I am looking at the The Elder Scrolls pages, and High 1-B comes from this page, where it says, "Know that there are places beyond Tamriel where the cunning and the wary can go to learn forgotten spells. I speak of the planes of Oblivion. The sea of limitless dimensions contains an endless series of islands. Some are controlled by the mighty Daedric Princes; others are loosely connected to one minor Daedra Lord or another. On these islands, creatures dwell who possess secrets out of time. Some are there of their own volition, but others are banished there for crimes either heinous or imagined."

Where is the evidence that these dimensions are axes of space and not just dimensions as in spaces or pocket dimensions? Especially when it says planes of oblivion. The word planes, is not synonymous with axes of space. But it can mean another space, reality, or existence.

I am looking at the The Elder Scrolls pages, and High 1-B comes from this page, where it says, "Know that there are places beyond Tamriel where the cunning and the wary can go to learn forgotten spells. I speak of the planes of Oblivion. The sea of limitless dimensions contains an endless series of islands. Some are controlled by the mighty Daedric Princes; others are loosely connected to one minor Daedra Lord or another. On these islands, creatures dwell who possess secrets out of time. Some are there of their own volition, but others are banished there for crimes either heinous or imagined."

Where is the evidence that these dimensions are axes of space and not just dimensions as in spaces or pocket dimensions? Especially when it says planes of oblivion. The word planes, is not synonymous with axes of space. But it can mean another space, reality, or existence.
It uses "Islands" to refer to the actual realms. Dimensions isn't referring to alternate realities.

The phrase, “The sea of limitless realities contains an endless series of realms” can fit into the paragraph without changing its meaning.
It seems extremely redundant to use "realm" and a synonym for it in the same sentence if you're trying to describe two separate things. Regardless, even if you used that interpretation, "Infinite Realms within Infinite Realms" would be High 1-B regardless because at that point it is just infinite recursions.

Me and Ultima already intend to change Oblivion's tier in a revision soon anyways.

It seems extremely redundant to use "realm" and a synonym for it in the same sentence if you're trying to describe two separate things. Regardless, even if you used that interpretation, "Infinite Realms within Infinite Realms" would be High 1-B regardless because at that point it is just infinite recursions.

Me and Ultima already intend to change Oblivion's tier in a revision soon anyways.
arent the words limitless and endless considered flowery language without further contexts? I dont really care about the tiering of this verse, just wanted to ask

The islands are not described as limitless.

Also, this would not count for infinite recursion. It would just 2-A. Infinite x infinite. (If the realms count as low 2-c)

And limitless isn’t only used in the sense of quantity. It can be used in the sense of scope.

Limitless realms can mean

A. Infinite amount of realms
B. Unknown amount of realms that are infinite in size

I have also found this passage:

It is improper, however customary, to refer to the denizens of the dimension of Oblivion as "demons." This practice probably dates to the Alessian Doctrines of the First Era prophet Marukh -- which, rather amusingly, forbade "trafficke with daimons" and then neglected to explain what daimons were.

It is most probable that "daimon" is a misspelling or etymological rendition of "Daedra," the old Elven word for those strange, powerful creatures of uncertain motivation who hail from the dimension of Oblivion. ("Daedra" is actually the plural form; the singular is "Daedroth.") In a later tract by King Hale the Pious of Skyrim, almost a thousand years after the publication of the original Doctrines, the evil machinations of his political enemies are compared to "the wickedness of the demons of Oblivion... their depravity equals that of Sanguine itself, they are cruel as Boethiah, calculating as Molag Bal, and mad as Sheogorath." Hale the Pious thus long-windedly introduced four of the Daedra lords to written record.

I have also found this passage:

It is improper, however customary, to refer to the denizens of the dimension of Oblivion as "demons." This practice probably dates to the Alessian Doctrines of the First Era prophet Marukh -- which, rather amusingly, forbade "trafficke with daimons" and then neglected to explain what daimons were.

It is most probable that "daimon" is a misspelling or etymological rendition of "Daedra," the old Elven word for those strange, powerful creatures of uncertain motivation who hail from the dimension of Oblivion. ("Daedra" is actually the plural form; the singular is "Daedroth.") In a later tract by King Hale the Pious of Skyrim, almost a thousand years after the publication of the original Doctrines, the evil machinations of his political enemies are compared to "the wickedness of the demons of Oblivion... their depravity equals that of Sanguine itself, they are cruel as Boethiah, calculating as Molag Bal, and mad as Sheogorath." Hale the Pious thus long-windedly introduced four of the Daedra lords to written record.
Ok? This is referring to it as a place rather than dimensional spaces. Context can vary and not mean same thing in every single usage of the word. The limitless dimensions referring to dimensional spaces makes more sense with the follow up of endless islands.

It seems extremely redundant to use "realm" and a synonym for it in the same sentence if you're trying to describe two separate things.
You mean the same redundancy that already exists in the sentence as it uses different synonyms for infinity("limitless" and "endless")?

Goofy ass argument

You mean the same redundancy that already exists in the sentence as it uses different synonyms for infinity("limitless" and "endless")?

Goofy ass argument
Dimensions and Islands aren't synonyms. The author is ascribing infinity to both things. Yet he uses Dimensions and Islands separately. A "The Sea of Limitless Dimensions contains an unending series of islands."

I know this is over but I'd still like to ask: What is the context that justifies interpreting "islands" as "realms" here?

Ohhhh another TES thread? Yay
I know this is over but I'd still like to ask: What is the context that justifies interpreting "islands" as "realms" here?
Throughout the series Oblivion has been referred to as an endless ocean with these realms being referred to as islands. Lore texts like the “waters of oblivion”:
Waters of oblivion
Or when Umaril was temporarily slain, he was cast “adrift in the waters of oblivion”. The infinite dimension quote is a characteristic of that “sea” or “ocean”. It’s why it says “on these islands [realms] these creatures possses secrets out of time”

Last edited:
Back