• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dungeons and dragons Regenerationn upgrade?

We've discussed this, but we haven't reached a proper conclusion yet

Mid-Godly: The ability to regenerate even after the complete destruction of the body and soul/mind.

High-Godly: The ability to regenerate after erasure from all aspects of existence, such as from history, narrative/plot, or conceptual/information destruction.

They qualify for Mid-Godly with the existence of the sphere of annihilation, but they don't have any examples of High-Godly afaik. There's no feats of them being erased from history, from the narrative, or by conceptual destruction.

Qawsedf234 said:
We've discussed this, but we haven't reached a proper conclusion yet
Mid-Godly: The ability to regenerate even after the complete destruction of the body and soul/mind.

High-Godly: The ability to regenerate after erasure from all aspects of existence, such as from history, narrative/plot, or conceptual/information destruction.
They qualify for Mid-Godly with the existence of the sphere of annihilation, but they don't have any examples of High-Godly afaik. There's no feats of them being erased from history, from the narrative, or by conceptual destruction.

Shar coming back from being erased by Luna(?)

She wasn't erased by Sel├╗ne, just defeated. Sel├╗ne even mentioned that their fight must go on forever in that issue for balance to be maintained. Plus later on its mentioned Shar killed another god in the time of troubles.

Qawsedf234 said:
She wasn't erased by Sel├╗ne, just defeated. Sel├╗ne even mentioned that their fight must go on forever in that issue for balance to be maintained. Plus later on its mentioned Shar killed another god in the time of troubles.
"To protect the early life, Sel├╗ne tore out some of her own divine essence, though it nearly killed her, and hurled it at her sister. Sel├╗ne's essence tore through Shar, bonding with some of Shar's essence and pulling it loose."

Oh, their first battle. Still didn't kill Shar though or erase her conceptually.

Qawsedf234 said:
Oh, their first battle. Still didn't kill Shar though or erase her conceptually.
She didn't completely erase Shar, but she did attack Shar's essence, most likely her concept, and Shar did recover from it, it seems.

I mean, if she didn't, then Shar wouldn't be here.

It was some of her divine essence, not her conceptual existence. Plus in FR gods aren't as heavily tied to their respective concepts as in other Multiverses, since Ao is in charge of regulating them.

Qawsedf234 said:
It was some of her divine essence, not her conceptual existence. Plus in FR gods aren't as heavily tied to their respective concepts as in other Multiverses, since Ao is in charge of regulating them.
I mean, is there any actual difference between Divine Essence and their Conceptual essence?

Since people can become conceptual beings by gaining Divine essence.

Well, its just that she didn't even destroy Shar's existence. She just ripped some off of her to create Mystral. That's not really High-Godly when she wasn't even destroyed by it and even to this day is weaker than she was originally, just not to the same degree Selune was. Then Ao can just decide on who gets a new concept after the original dies, gives up their job, or fails in their duties unlike in other deity systems where the death of the god is the death of the concept until someone else takes it up. I'm just not seeing High-Godly for them at the moment.

It's iffy. At the moment they're definitely better than normal Mid-Godly via conceptual erasure and theoretically temoporal erasure (given their type of acausality). But normally something of them still exists, like the memory.

Yeah that'd my main worry with upgrading them, in that none of them have come back from being completely erased on such a level.

that we know of to be fair there could be a feat of that quite literally a few pages from any given point that we've read, this is D&D after all

for now I'm fine with sticking with Mid-Godly.

Wait, the sphere of annihilation can kill people so bad the wish spell, which can **** with time, can't bring them back.

So...

The Sphere destroys someone's mind, soul, and body. Which gods can regen from and bring people back. But that's still only a Mid-Godly feat.

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
Actually... Qawsed isn't rheee a spell called thought of unmaking that erases you from time?
Not from time, but I believe the spell you're thinking of is "Destruction" which:

"This spell instantly slays the subject and consumes its remains utterly."

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
That just sounds mid godly at best. You'd need to survive either temporal or conceptual erasure to be high godly
I don't think you read what I said.

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
I did. "Consumes its remains". That's not even mid, that actually sounds Low.
"Not from time, but I believe the spell you're thinking of is "Destruction" which:"

No, you didn't, Zach. I never put forward a spell for High-Godly, I was correcting you.

Wordofunmaking
Zach is thinking of the Word of Unmaking from 3.5e's Tome of Magic. The Truenamer class has a few prestige classes that sounded similar to what he was saying, the Bereft one has the ability. It doesn't allow resurrection from time and space or whatever- wish will not resurrect the target of this.
I believe Truenaming to be a form of Conceptual Manipulation and, without your Truename, you can't live. Your truename/concept is gone. The only way to come back is to restore your Truename.

Unsure. I can look through and see if Gods are immune to Truenaming stuff, though I doubt they are. With that said, I believe Truenamers still couldn't manage to dothis to a god- a god's name would probably be too hidden for them to access and, if they managed it, probably too difficult to pronounce.

If it's just because they don't know their true name, it's not high godly.

If they can actually survive someone ******* with theirs, it definitely is.

God's should be effected by Truenaming. People like Asmodeus still is and the Last Word Orcus uses is an ancient and powerful truename spell technically speaking.

Still not High Godly though.

The people he can't kill invented the truenames though. Plus in those cases its not like they regenerate from the damage, they just resist the effects. The spell in question only works if the target is already dead in the first place, so you can't erase someone from reality if they aren't dead first in D&D.

this does of course mean a proficient enough Truenamer could match Last Word Orcus

Theoretically. Although they need a massive energy source seemingly. Orcus used his dead divinity, Vecna used Iuz, and the Lady of Pain is just swole.

I feel like its coz Lady is just already above 'em, so it isn't like a transcendent layer or whatever above her. That's just words for her.

Back