• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dungeons and Dragons: Big Thread for Stuff

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
So, talked about making this thread on the old forums. Not sure how I feel about these yet but hey, we're here, right?

TL;DR this will serve as a general D&D thread. If you're interested, hop on in and talk about the world's greatest RPG. This thread should serve as a place to do all of the following:
  • Ask questions about D&D, whether it be related to VS Battles or not. Feel free to ask about the game itself, the rules, how to play, etc. Always happy to assist with D&D!
  • Talk about upcoming developments in regards to D&D on VS Battles. Revisions that need made, profile errors that need correcting, and so on.
  • Discuss your own experiences with D&D. Shit's fun, yo.
  • D&D talk. That's it. That's the thread.
Regarding questions, as I said, I will personally monitor the thread to answer anything so long as it relates to D&D in some way. Happy new forums, all!

Aight, time to recruit people against their will to help with Outsider Physiology page

no

absolutely not sir

If a Mind Flayer has a headache I assume something is very wrong. So uh... sure, yeah, why not.

OR, or, alternatively

Play D&D video games. Baldur's Gate 3 comes out in a few days, not an awful way to get into it.

What happens when a mind flayer trall is inserted inside a litch's skull ?
I'm not certain a tadpole could affect an undead, given the tadpole implementation relies on biological processes that a dead thing logically wouldn't have. If it could happen, it certainly hasn't yet- though there are mind flayer liches. Make of this what you will.

While I'm here, might as well ask for the benefit of others too ovo

From where's the source of the Nilbog affecting a kingdom of goblin with mindhax?

Z1lKp11.png

0OEoasx.png

Sources: Volo's Guide to Monsters, 5th Edition, Fiend Folio, 1st Edition
TL;DR no goblins can really resist the spatio-temporal and mental effects of the Nilbog so they're forced to just sort of accept it. 5e places the DC of this effect at 12, meaning most effects upscale.

No explicit statement of it consciencely affecting a entire kingdom at once, it's just assumed even if a host formed a goblin kingdome, and every goblin within that kingdom went after the creature at once, the same exact effects would apply because that's what would happen if such an event was played strictly by the book. ~~asuming you didn't role saving throws for them of in 5e course~~

By lore in 5e yeah, that's the gist of it.

Honestly where is it said no goblin can resist the effects? It says if it's killed in the 5E book it'll just fine another host, making trying to kill the thing a wast of resources in the first place..that's a far more logical reason for the jester to me then they can't kill it

Read the 1e stuff.

Edit: from the post I deleted, I um fined scaling the mind hax so high because no goblin could resist it, because there was no saving throw in 1E, well scaling those hax to alot of other mind hax because the DC is 12 in 5E, the setting in which we know the creature interacted with many other goblins, strange.

I guess I just don't understand how your applying the 1e stuff to the 5e stuff that wasn't in 1e

Edit another thing, I'm not sure what you wanted me to see in the first addition stuff, it mentioned that goblins are usually treaded carefully around in case there the creature, but I don't 'think' that applys here, but maybe in a way I didn't see you ment that

And there was a thing about the DC, of course it very specific said the adventures which confuses me but maybe that's just how 1E talked? I guess I just got frustrated in my confusion on what exactly you ment

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean but yeah that's just how 1e talked. My logic is that as of 5e powerful enough adventurers can indeed resist it but canonically the goblins can not. Thus, it scales to the goblin kingdom.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but yeah that's just how 1e talked. My logic is that as of 5e powerful enough adventurers can indeed resist it but canonically the goblins can not. Thus, it scales to the goblin kingdom.
I mean. There weren't hosts in 1E, the odds of getting a 12 straight are just, a bit worse then 1/2, I guess that's self consistent logic. But I really feel like it has alot of leaps, the implication in the books is that killing it is just piontless because another will pope up not because they can't kill it, as well the 5e books don't mention it's inability to take damage so if they were the same 'universes' alot has been retconed from it to weaken it, why wouldn't it's 'only wish spell' resisting ablity's nerf have also been a 'retcon'? As well in 5e only the most powerful of adventures (level 9 spell caster access) can use wish, and the ability to resist a DC 12 check, is something that could be expected of anyone about half the time without horrible minues, It just dosen't feel this holds up to much scrutiny.

Edit: to expand on my last line, there, seems to be a lot of assumptions in this feat that I don't see what are backing up. It assumes the continuitys are the same, which makes any changes to the creature a retcon, then it assumes the addition of the DC is a 'reveal' that high level players can resist so there for the goblins it runs with in a host must be physically incapable of it like in the old edition, dispite the books not saying this well discusing the creatures reletionship with a host and dispite 12 not being illogical for even midlevel players to resist consistently if there prepared well and wish being a part of 'high' level play, and dispite other ablitys not being present,meaning there would have been retcons at this point

Last edited:
I'm still not entirely certain what you're getting at with a lot of this.

It drives others to do the opposite of their intention- mindhax. This is not relevant to wish? Nor would I say the lore has been retconned, only the mechanics of that lore.

If it could happen, it certainly hasn't yet- though there are mind flayer liches
A lich is just a state of being rather than a race in of itself. I believe you are correct that the host must be alive for the tadpole to hijack it.

I'm still not entirely certain what you're getting at with a lot of this.

It drives others to do the opposite of their intention- mindhax. This is not relevant to wish? Nor would I say the lore has been retconned, only the mechanics of that lore.
Wish was the method of obtaining 'local immunity' if worded properly to it's affects in 1E, it was the method of 'resisting it' at the time according to the image you put (the text could be interpreted as meaning a similarly powerful spell could do the same thing, but that was probably left vage for the DM) that's why I brought it up, to say the reveal idea didn't really align with it's old power level as even in 5e there are things only a wish can undo (at least I think so, the stuff I'm thinking of could of been for a different addition) so if that was it's intented power level, it would have stayed there but it wasn't it was nerfed and given a CR of 12, so my thought process was then the goblins shouldn't be considered to be auto affected

I suppose what I was getting at is I didn't understand the reasoning for the Nul thing, and was stating the problems I saw with it, which mostly came from me not understanding the assumptions it was based on, if all the editions are considered to be in the same continuity on the wiki that would make the whole thing make more sense.

Wish was the method of obtaining 'local immunity' if worded properly to it's affects in 1E, it was the method of 'resisting it' at the time according to the image you put (the text could be interpreted as meaning a similarly powerful spell could do the same thing, but that was probably left vage for the DM) that's why I brought it up, to say the reveal idea didn't really align with it's old power level as even in 5e there are things only a wish can undo (at least I think so, the stuff I'm thinking of could of been for a different addition) so if that was it's intented power level, it would have stayed there but it wasn't it was nerfed and given a CR of 12, so my thought process was then the goblins shouldn't be considered to be auto affected

I suppose what I was getting at is I didn't understand the reasoning for the Nul thing, and was stating the problems I saw with it, which mostly came from me not understanding the assumptions it was based on, if all the editions are considered to be in the same continuity on the wiki that would make the whole thing make more sense.
Like I said, the mechanics changed but the in-game lore seems relatively untouched.

Technically yes if the DM wants. Most campaigns I had had cannons.
In all seriousness a flying Cannon or Balista would make a sick mini boss.

I could set part of a campaign in some sorta astral realm, throw those guys in and make a psuedo sci-fi adventure that is still technically D&D fantasy. I already have a campaign planned that ends on a sci-fi trope anyway.

Back