• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Heroes: Probability Manipulation Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am nothing if not a *********.

DBH has had a number of characters who possess probability manipulation, resistance to it, and negation of it. The specific mechanics of how this probability manipulation works has also led to people claiming it can completely negate someone's attempts to block This has given the impression of the verse being ultra-haxxed (or more haxxed than it already is), but upon closer inspection, the actual reasoning for these abilities is downright wrong and has 0 basis in either in-universe lore or our own site standards.

The abilities that qualify for probability manipulation revolve around a single game mechanics, that being Charge Impact (for the sake of fairness, I will treat this as though it isn't game mechanics, but that is also something I am iffy on). The way Charge Impact works is that any time two characters are about to clash, both players must play a short minigame where a bar moves back and forth, and you have to time your button presses so that the bar is as full as possible. If you are the attacker and you win, you simply hit the opponent for full damage. If the blocker wins, they block the attack and take reduced damage.

Firstly, none of this is "attack/damage reduction negation". Simply blocking an attack does not mean you have some supernatural ability to negate someone's ability to attack you, and any video game with a blocking mechanic works in this way. The fact that you still take damage when blocking (albeit a reduced amount) shows that there is no "negation" of any kind here. It is damage reduction under the most generous interpretation, but even then, we do not simply give damage reduction for game characters who can block attacks (Skyrim's armor/blocking mechanics directly reduce damage taken, but there is 0 lore reason for this, as an example). In a similar vein, negating someone's ability to block is nonexistent. They just failed to block the attack. This is something you can watch take place in real life fights. It's just how fighting works, you just get hit sometimes.

But the probability manipulation is where things get really bad. A few characters have in-game passives that change the way the Charge Impact gauge works; They can make your own gauge move more slowly, which makes you more likely to win the QTE, or they can make the opponent's gauge move more quickly, making them less likely to win. This increased or decreased difficulty, simply by virtue of "altering your odds" of successfully performing this task, is treated as probability manipulation And because some characters can ignore or cancel the effects of this Charge Impact alteration, they have resistance to or negation of probability manipulation.

However, this completely ignores that simply making a task easier or more difficult is not probability manipulation. I can spill a glass of water, but that does not mean I have probability manipulation for "reducing the chances" of me not slipping and falling. There is 0 indication that the odds of success or failure are being directly manipulated, as opposed to something else entirely that just makes things easier or harder.

But at the end of the day, none of this should even be assumed to be tied to any power, save for maybe stat amping. The Charge Impact gauge is just a QTE where whoever does it best "wins" that specific interaction; At its core, it is a game mechanic, and not much more than that.

TL;DR: Probability manipulation and everything tied to it is wack as **** and needs to be yeeted. If there are separate feats that can be used as replacements for specific characters, now would be the time to show them.

Was posting this two hours before work a good idea? no lol

I am nothing if not a *********.

DBH has had a number of characters who possess probability manipulation, resistance to it, and negation of it. The specific mechanics of how this probability manipulation works has also led to people claiming it can completely negate someone's attempts to block This has given the impression of the verse being ultra-haxxed (or more haxxed than it already is), but upon closer inspection, the actual reasoning for these abilities is downright wrong and has 0 basis in either in-universe lore or our own site standards.

The abilities that qualify for probability manipulation revolve around a single game mechanics, that being Charge Impact (for the sake of fairness, I will treat this as though it isn't game mechanics, but that is also something I am iffy on). The way Charge Impact works is that any time two characters are about to clash, both players must play a short minigame where a bar moves back and forth, and you have to time your button presses so that the bar is as full as possible. If you are the attacker and you win, you simply hit the opponent for full damage. If the blocker wins, they block the attack and take reduced damage.

Firstly, none of this is "attack/damage reduction negation". Simply blocking an attack does not mean you have some supernatural ability to negate someone's ability to attack you, and any video game with a blocking mechanic works in this way. The fact that you still take damage when blocking (albeit a reduced amount) shows that there is no "negation" of any kind here. It is damage reduction under the most generous interpretation, but even then, we do not simply give damage reduction for game characters who can block attacks (Skyrim's armor/blocking mechanics directly reduce damage taken, but there is 0 lore reason for this, as an example). In a similar vein, negating someone's ability to block is nonexistent. They just failed to block the attack. This is something you can watch take place in real life fights. It's just how fighting works, you just get hit sometimes.

But the probability manipulation is where things get really bad. A few characters have in-game passives that change the way the Charge Impact gauge works; They can make your own gauge move more slowly, which makes you more likely to win the QTE, or they can make the opponent's gauge move more quickly, making them less likely to win. This increased or decreased difficulty, simply by virtue of "altering your odds" of successfully performing this task, is treated as probability manipulation And because some characters can ignore or cancel the effects of this Charge Impact alteration, they have resistance to or negation of probability manipulation.

However, this completely ignores that simply making a task easier or more difficult is not probability manipulation. I can spill a glass of water, but that does not mean I have probability manipulation for "reducing the chances" of me not slipping and falling. There is 0 indication that the odds of success or failure are being directly manipulated, as opposed to something else entirely that just makes things easier or harder.

But at the end of the day, none of this should even be assumed to be tied to any power, save for maybe stat amping. The Charge Impact gauge is just a QTE where whoever does it best "wins" that specific interaction; At its core, it is a game mechanic, and not much more than that.

TL;DR: Probability manipulation and everything tied to it is wack as **** and needs to be yeeted. If there are separate feats that can be used as replacements for specific characters, now would be the time to show them.

Was posting this two hours before work a good idea? no lol
I’ve already talked about this before but this ability should have been gone a long while ago, the justifications for it just blatantly aren’t probability manip, I agree.

Both time power and dark ki got so many of their abilities nuked now we're taking this too, DBH just can't catch a break a catch. 😔
I Agree tho

By the way, I forgot to mention this, but the changes listed here would also apply to the Time Power page, as it has probability manipulation for similar reasons.
dragon ball heroes can't stop getting its dragon balls busted ig

By the way, I forgot to mention this, but the changes listed here would also apply to the Time Power page, as it has probability manipulation for similar reasons.
dragon ball heroes can't stop getting its dragon balls busted ig
Time Power have scan for probability manip since it have power to increases the probability/chance

The problem is the Charge Impact system. Miracle Perfect is entirely different

Agree

Time Power have scan for probability manip since it have power to increases the probability/chance

The problem is the Charge Impact system. Miracle Perfect is entirely different
"I can spill a glass of water, but that does not mean I have probability manipulation for "reducing the chances" of me not slipping and falling. There is 0 indication that the odds of success or failure are being directly manipulated, as opposed to something else entirely that just makes things easier or harder."

Do you have any clips of this happening? Because for all we know this could just be more blocking and taking hits like the charge system as opposed to actually manipulating the chances of something happening.
Away from home right now so can't do it, i need to get back to my PC

Anyway, aside Miracle Perfect, which me or probably Domino will upload video about it if he is ahead of me

Other than that sure, Charge Impact system will be removed

Right, Miracle Perfect stuff can stay, since I haven't personally seen anything wrong with it. But it should definitely be limited, since it only really applies to one thing and even then, it isn't fully guaranteed to occur (even with increased chances, it still has a chance to not proc).

Miracle Perfect is tied to the Charge Impact system, it's essentially a chance to auto-win the QTE.

Abilities that affect Miracle Perfects are probability-based since they increase or decrease the probability of a Miracle Perfect occurring, but they will be entirely pointless if the Charge Impact system isn't being used.

Well, in a sense, Miracle Perfect is a very busted Charge Impact, but again, Charge Impact is just either increases or decreases the speed of QTE bar, but Miracle Perfect auto-win that QTE bar, like the name of the ability, perfect hit, so you gonna hit or block or dodge

That reminds me, is any of the damage boost/reduction abilities also stemmed from the charge impact system where it just makes someone block better or hit harder or does it actually reduce/increase the stats of the characters?

That reminds me, is any of the damage boost/reduction abilities also stemmed from the charge impact system where it just makes someone block better or hit harder or does it actually reduce/increase the stats of the characters?
there is multiple "types" of stats and damage increase, decrease, some do tied to Charge Impact, when you win the Charge Impact you get increase in stats or decrease your opponent, some just increases your stats or decrease your enemy right at the start of battle, Stats and Damage are the most redundant type in DBH, they make up like 90%

They all affect the actual stats.

Bump

@Dominodalek, if you don't mind me asking, how far do you think we should go with nuking stuff tied to CI? Because AFAIK, stuff like Key Sword Lock or Dark Shenron's energy reduction are directly tied to it. I personally think it'd be fine to remove everything tied to that system if there's never an in-universe connection to those abilities, but I wanted a second opinion.

Bump

@Dominodalek, if you don't mind me asking, how far do you think we should go with nuking stuff tied to CI? Because AFAIK, stuff like Key Sword Lock or Dark Shenron's energy reduction are directly tied to it. I personally think it'd be fine to remove everything tied to that system if there's never an in-universe connection to those abilities, but I wanted a second opinion.
What??, Keysword Lock is Power Null, it is not a CI

Dark Shenron Energy Reduction??, i don't remember it tied to CI

What??, Keysword Lock is Power Null, it is not a CI

Dark Shenron Energy Reduction??, i don't remember it tied to CI
Looks like they're pretty tied to CI to me.
image.png

image.png

Bump

Dominodalek, if you don't mind me asking, how far do you think we should go with nuking stuff tied to CI? Because AFAIK, stuff like Key Sword Lock or Dark Shenron's energy reduction are directly tied to it. I personally think it'd be fine to remove everything tied to that system if there's never an in-universe connection to those abilities, but I wanted a second opinion.
Key Sword Lock would be unaffected, the additional effects are tied to the attack itself.

Abilities like Razing Smash depend on how we want to treat them - either they work if the specific action (in this case attacking or defending) is successful, or they don't work at all.

Sure, but the effects of Key Sword Lock are still reliant on the CI result. Is the implication that the power null can just be negated through regular physical blocking?

Personally, I think stuff like Razing Smash should either go, or have a note mentioning how even just regular blocking can outright cancel the effects.

Sure, but the effects of Key Sword Lock are still reliant on the CI result. Is the implication that the power null can just be negated through regular physical blocking?
Not like that, that CI is belong to opponent, because of gameplay reason, when battle both side go into QTE bar mode, so if the opponent win the QTE bar, gameplay mechanic will cancel out Keysword Lock, that how everything work in gameplay, not just keysword lock

Not like that, that CI is belong to opponent, because of gameplay reason, when battle both side go into QTE bar mode, so if the opponent win the QTE bar, gameplay mechanic will cancel out Keysword Lock, that how everything work in gameplay, not just keysword lock
So, again, is that not just a weakness of the power null? That just blocking can cancel it out?

Personally, I think stuff like Razing Smash should either go, or have a note mentioning how even just regular blocking can outright cancel the effects.
Often abilities are indeed negated through regular physical blocking, though in the case of Key Sword Lock I would argue that the successful CI requirement is purely for gameplay balancing, in the same way that characters in the game need a successful CI to use their Super Attacks. The initial attack is independent from the sealing part of the CAA, there's no reason why the former would need to be successful for the latter to be attempted.

So, again, is that not just a weakness of the power null? That just blocking can cancel it out?
No it is because the game mechanic balance it out not because they can block hax, it is just the same where character who should inferior in term of power can fight stronger character because of gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back