• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Doomguy Speed Revision

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Doomguy is listed as having Hypersonic speed for dodging plasma & demonic blasts. Thing is... What does that prove, exactly? I mean, I've asked about it, and it appears that plasma has no "exact" speed, it depends, much like any normal projectile would. And the only thing we do know about the demonic blasts is that they're considerably faster than missiles, which is Transonic at the very best.

I'm asking that because I've played and finished DooM I and II and, sadly, I don't remember any instance of speeds beyond Transonic.

EDIT:

I've found something interesting. If that article does speak the truth, then Doomguy is at the very least Transonic, perhaps High Hypersonic if we go by this article, if plasma waves are truly superior to solar winds.

Plasma weapons? If you're asking for the internal workings of the guns (They basically shoot high-velocity globs of plasma), then these pages may help you. (The Doomguy can dodge pretty much everything there)

I think that this seems to make sense.

OK, so from what I've gathered:

• Doomguy can at the very least dodge electricity-based weaponry. That'd result in Supersonic speeds Mach 1,6).
  • If we consider that solar wind is slower than plasma waves, Doomguy'd have High Hypersonic speeds, in combat and reactions. But again, I don't have enough scientific knowledge to know if the article's case would apply here.

Well, you can probably place his speed as "At least Supersonic" in the meantime.

I've found something interesting.

After re-reading the article and comparing to the Plasma Rifle descriptio, I've realized that they match almost perfectly.

The plasma mentioned in the article (That is faster than Coronal Mass Ejections, that are way faster than solar winds) is that fast because it is either electromagnetically charged or unstable. BFG9000s fires unstable plasma, and the Plasma Rifle is directly stated to fire electromagnetic-charged projectiles and to generate Birkeland currents, that are comparable to solar winds. It is even described as a completely new and incredible phenomenon in physics.

Okay. What would this mean for his speed?

By scaling it to solar winds (It makes sense, following my previous comment's reasoning) and using the lowest value of 10 km/s on this article, he'd have Mach 29.1 in speed.

High Hypersonic.

Okay. I would prefer more community input first though.

@Radical

He can't outrun it, but what he ca do is sidestep it from a really close range, without any previous warning, and quite constantly so (And unlike hitscan bullets, plasma projectiles can be seen and manouvered around). So I think it should only apply to combat/reactions speed, but I dunno.

Well, I think that you can upgrade his speed then.

OK. If there are any disagreements with the speed ratings, I guess they can reply to this thread or message me.

Well, after you have made the edit, this thread can be closed.

So we're basing the speed of the plasma balls on real life? Doom is a verse where the bullets go faster than rockets, I wouldn't really count on real life to decide what kind of speed these weapons have.

@FTW

That is gameplay mechanics, afaic. It is like saying that Mario dodging lightning bolts shouldn't be legit because, in the game, Bob-Omb explosions are faster than said bolts.

Plus, the description directly compares the plasma gun to solar winds.

If anything, this says more about Doom's weapons being faster, which makes sense considering the ultra-advanced nature of the verse.

To be fair I'd be the one to argue that Mario's lightning bolts are indeed not legit at all. Regardless seeing how there's an official description, I guess scaling shouldn't be an issue.

Well, since this thread seems to be concluded, I will close it now.

Back