• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Doomfist Speed Outlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently, Overwatch got a huge upgrade in speed based off Doomfist dodging Winston's Tesla Cannon. However, wouldn't this count as an outlier? The speed he demonstrated is over 10 times their previous fastest feat and 200+ their casual hypersonic feats.

No one else in the verse has demonstrated speed even slightly close to this. For instance, in the Reaper vs. Winston animation, Reaper fails to dodge the Tesla (Check 6:10 ). Off course, he was slightly off balance from the shield explosion, but still he was already upright and capable of moving so his speed shouldn't be that much lower.

In addition, the previous fastest feat from Soldier 76 was under far more stress (as he was trying to save the girl), so he should have been moving at close to his top speed. However, even with his top speed, he still ended up slightly scorched, which wouldn't have happened if he cleanly avoided it with a MHS charge.

Anyway until we find some more feats backing this sort of speed up I think we should temporarily downgrade back down to HHS+. Thoughts?

You're assuming they need to display their maximum speed feats in every scene.

That's not how it works.

No, I'm just saying you would think that Soldier 76 would move at his fastest when there's a life on the line (Like you said though this part is just conjecture).

Anyway, Reaper still failed to dodge the Tesla Cannon, so we still only have one instance of such high speed (it is multiple standard deviations too high to currently not be an outlier). I think we should wait for a few other cinematics involving the Tesla Cannon before upgrading.

Reaper wasn't even trying to dodge it, he was trying to shoot Winston first, but Winston already readied the Tesla Cannon and fired right when Reaper pulled out his gun.

That's very different from Reaper trying to dodge it but not being fast enough.

The fact that three Overwatch agents were on scene makes me heavily doubt that this is an outlier.

Your current logic is the same logic you tried to use to downgrade the Riordanverse speeds.

@ Everlasting

Yeah now that I look at it again your right. But still we currently only have one instance of that sort of speed right? Isn't that enough to make it qualify as an outlier?

@ Reppuzan

No for the Riordanverse I was still confused about the definition of combat/reaction speeds. For this one, I'm saying that because we only have one instance of that sort of speed and its so much higher than their other calced speeds, we should wait till we have another supporting feat. Unless there's something in the comics? If so sorry I haven't seen those.

@XING

As The Everlasting stated, it would be an outlier if this was just a standalone feat.

However, we already have multiple double mach feats, which is relatively consistent.

No fiction is perfectly consistent throughout all of its entries, but given the evidence provided I believe this upgrade is reasonable.

@ Reppuzan

Oh yeah no I get that no fiction is perfectly consistent (looking at you Jojo). Again though like you said we only have two/three-ish? I think double mach feats, whereas the rest is casually hypersonic.

I would have to argue that the jump in speed is just too high to be consistent with what we have right now. It went from Mach 70-90+ to Mach 1300+. That's over three standard deviations from the median (if we consider their HHS feats their median and 1 SD their casual hypersonic feats). Massively Hypersonic is still within the data range but MHS+ as they are currently is mathematically a total outlier.

PS. I know the math is sloppy and assumes for a lot of data, but most calcs are within the hypersonic range and we accept highest speed as long as its semi-consistent so I used the HHS as a median.

One far higher feat =/= Outlier. One far higher feat, out of nowhere that is heavily contradicted by the series= Outlier.

Ah its the contradiction within the series that makes it an outlier? Still wouldn't this count? Again this is the only feat where we see an Overwatch character move that fast, whereas in both of the HHS calcs (Soldier 76 and I think it was a Tracer calc?) they sustained damage while barely avoiding what they were dodging.

>Only time we see an Overwatch character move that fast

>Directly after he performs the feat, Genji and Tracer proceed to run literal circles around him

>Tracer then goes on to make a fool out of him until he can predict where she's going to be and catches her

Like the others have said, low feats dont discredit higher feats

XING06 said:
Ah its the contradiction within the series that makes it an outlier? Still wouldn't this count? Again this is the only feat where we see an Overwatch character move that fast, whereas in both of the HHS calcs (Soldier 76 and I think it was a Tracer calc?) they sustained damage while barely avoiding what they were dodging.
It's not so large of a gap that it's contradictory, plus as Weekly stated, there is a feat of them basically making his speed look like a joke.

@ WeeklyBattles

Erm not arguing that low feats do discredit higher feats.

I'm saying it seems like an outlier b/c in their HHS feats they still get damaged while dodging, implying that that's around their normal speed compared to their casual hypersonic; whereas, if they did have consistently MHS+ speed they wouldn't have been scratched. Its this contradiction that makes me scratch my head, which is why until we get some more animations of Winston using his Tesla Cannon, I suggest a temporary downgrade like we did before.

@Dragonmasterxyz

Its a pretty big gap (200+ times faster). Also, that feat is only if we actually accept the MHS+ feat as not an outlier.

XING06 said:
@Dragonmasterxyz

Its a pretty big gap (200+ times faster). Also, that feat is only if we actually accept the MHS+ feat as not an outlier.
That doesn't make this an outlier.

@ Dragonmasterxyz

Wait then what would be considered an outlier? As mathematically it would be.

Anyway thx for replying. I'm still pretty new to this site so I can always use clarification.

It would be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Not every high end feat is an outlier. Also going by what Weekly stated, that's not the only MHS+ feat, there is also the fact that said characters seemed to run circles around him as well. It's not that far off tbh considering what other verse have made even larger jumps.

@Dragonmasterxyz

Ah thanks for the clarification. Still though it actually is the only MHS+ feat calced we have, as Weekly is using a comparison b/w Tracer/Genji's speed during their battle and Doomfist's speed not an actual calc, which is the reason I was calling it an outlier.

Anyway, I guess I'll drop it for now until we get some more animations or calcs or you know actual material to prove or disprove it.

Since the community input seems to think its not a outlier, could someone call a mod to close the thread then? And whoever replied thanks for putting up with clarifying for the new guy.

No problem. I'll close it then. When you want something closed ask the members with red or green names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back