• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does Goku need to breathe while in space? Will it affect his tier if he can't?

Faisal_Shourov

VS Battles
Retired
Despite the anime showing Goku flying up high during his fight with Beerus, it's not confirmed whether Goku needs to breathe while in space or not.

In DBS, nowhere its said that Goku fought in outer space like Beerus IIRC. The animation suggested he did, but MOST likely he did not. We also found that Goku can't breathe underwater, despite having God Ki absorbed. Yes folks, that's true

Dragon Ball Super (Sub) Episode 014 - Watch Dragon Ball Super (Sub) Episode 014 online in high quality 2.MP4 snapshot 04.12 -2015.10.15 10.52.21-
Goku can't breathe underwater

Now this proves that Goku does need to breathe in air to survive. Which makes sense as Vegeta died in FnF for not being able to survive in space without air.
Another crucial fact, Goku and Beerus fight was said to occur in the stratosphere in the manga. And the manga is canon as I have proved before here [1]. Toei didn't mention the word stratosphere, or any part of the atmosphere in the anime. However they did mention Goku can't breathe underwater. You can't breathe in both space or underwater. So Goku needing to breathe in space but not underwater makes little sense. While Anime doesn't suggest either, manga suggests Goku can't breathe in outer space. Here's the manga scan which says Goku and Beerus fighting in stratosphere. While anime clearly states Goku can';t breathe underwater.

I011
Goku and Beerus fighting in stratosphere

If Goku can't breathe in outer space, there are 2 problems with powerscaling
1) If Goku fights a galaxy level opponent, he might die OR lose if the planet hosting the fight explodes. Goku will choke to death or lose by fleeing to somewhere else with Instant Transmission, aka self BFR

2) Goku's speed can't be powerscaled from Beerus as Beerus can fly at those speed in outer space, which Goku can't. However combat speed should be comparable. But not travel speed.

If Goku can't breathe in space, should he be downgraded from 3B or kept at unknown for the time being? Since he can't beat a galaxy level opponents if the planet where fight occurs is destroyed.

I have also heard that Goku doesn't need to breathe in God form (aka red hair). If so shouldn't we wait until his God form becomes permament? That's assuming God form allows him to survive without breathing which is contradicted by Vegeta's death in RoF movie.

I am not a DBZ downplayer (Im a big fan acutally). I just want to point this out. This needs to be cleared I think

Goku was fine in Earth's outer atmosphere which contains almost no air but he couldn't breathe underwater because he has no gills like fish. LOL inconsistency

His tier would be kept the same

He cannot breathe in space, Beerus cannot breathe in space. They just do not need oxygen as much as humans.

Anyways Goku has endured vacuums or near-vacuums before (Going to the moon) I think he can breathe in space for like 20 minutes.

Tiers are more of a measure of relative power wheras this seems more like a condition of battle type of scenario. As far as I am aware devil fruit are not downgraded in tier if they fight by an ocean. Similarly I don't think the fact that he can't breathe in space would affect his tier. This may affect him in various battle scenarios but isn't a reason to lower his tier.

Not being able to survive in a vacuum does nothing to deter a character's power. If that was the case, you could have MFTL+ characters of much lower attack potency than Goku winning simply by being able to breathe in space.

Just assume that in most versus threads, such environmental factors won't deter either side unless they cause it.

Superman's speed is listed as MFTL+ but he can't go beyond lightspeed on earth because he doesn't possess SpeedForce and It's his Travel Speed not Combat Speed(Superman can't fight faster than he can fly).

Eric Stormbringer said:
Tiers are more of a measure of relative power wheras this seems more like a condition of battle type of scenario. As far as I am aware devil fruit are not downgraded in tier if they fight by an ocean. Similarly I don't think the fact that he can't breathe in space would affect his tier. This may affect him in various battle scenarios but isn't a reason to lower his tier.
I know that, but logically Goku can't beat a single galaxy level character if the host planet is destroyed, let alone if the fight takes place in outer space. So wouldn't that make him < 3B chars in general?

That's assuming he can't breathe in space.

Kowt said:
Superman's speed is listed as MFTL+ but he can't go beyond lightspeed on earth because he doesn't possess SpeedForce and It's his Travel Speed not Combat Speed(Superman can't fight faster than he can fly).
Here's my stupidass scenario: Stronger MFTL+ character that can't breathe in space chases weaker MFTL+ character that can. They go to space and the one that can't breathe dies.

Faisal Shourov said:
Eric Stormbringer said:
I know that, but logically Goku can't beat a single galaxy level character if the host planet is destroyed, let alone if the fight takes place in outer space. So wouldn't that make him < 3B chars in general?
That's assuming he can't breathe in space.
Losing to them via enviromental destruction/factors =/= to being a lower tier than said characters. It's like saying superman is lower tier than the average adult male because of his weakness to kryponite.

Or his weakness to red sunlight. Just pit any weaker character against Superman with them fighting very close to a red sun and that character wins.

Good point. But the speed scaling is still iffy

However the main question is- Can Goku breathe in space or not?

i think that goku with god ki doesnt need to breath

noticce: his power started to weaken when he lost the godly quality of his ki, and eventually lost practically all spacial powers, i think the same happened for breathing, once his ki returned to normal quality, he regained the need to breath, i dont tthink godly ki beings need to breath

The Living Tribunal1 said:
i think that goku with god ki doesnt need to breath
noticce: his power started to weaken when he lost the godly quality of his ki, and eventually lost practically all spacial powers, i think the same happened for breathing, once his ki returned to normal quality, he regained the need to breath, i dont tthink godly ki beings need to breath
I already mentioned that in OP. But Vegeta died in RoF after earth exploded. And the anime has't explicitily mentioned whether Goku can breathe in space. In the manga, the fight took place in stratosphere. NOWHERE it's said that Goku can breathe in outer space. Everything suggests to the contrary in fact :/ I want to believe Goku doesn't need to breathe in space, but RoF and manga and anime isn't helping it

rof had many other inconsistensies as well, also, since bog saga was greatly different from the movie

fnf saga wud be likely greatly different from movie

so, it seems that vegeta dying without air might get retconned

also: u cant breath in space, being in space without air normally means you dont need to breath

also, the startosphere has so little oxygen molecules that its next to nothing

also, there have been cases when gods have been without air normally- such as beerus when he busted the 2 planets

^^Beerus and Goku have different anatomy as we saw in the screenshot in my OP. Despite the inconsistency in RoF, it still hasn't been retconned by DBS so far. And Vegeta's death is too major of a plot point to be retconned honestly.

well, the air in the atmosphere that high is so low that theey only get like a few molecules in even a few seconds

and that is functionally useless

also, as far as fnf goes- the whole saga, its powers and abailities are still in limbo

I know, but its still hasn't been retconned by DBS. and DBS hasn't retconned much of BoG either. Beerus is still stronger than Goku by a LARGE margin as we saw in ep 14 (he was toying with Goku the entire time). And there is no actual proof that Super Saiyan God doesn't need to breathe. We only saw them flying high above Earth, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were in outer space. Maybe Goku's lungs are much more efficient than human when he's in stratosphere, we don't know. But outer space? I dont know if he can

Faisal Shourov said:
I know, but its still hasn't been retconned by DBS. and DBS hasn't retconned much of BoG either. Beerus is still stronger than Goku by a LARGE margin as we saw in ep 14 (he was toying with Goku the entire time). And there is no actual proof that Gods don't need to breathe. Maybe Goku's lungs are much more efficient than human when he's in stratosphere, we don't know. But outer space? I dont know if he ca
He was either in the mesosphere or the exosphere, as he was in the stratosphere in episode 11. Even the mesosphere has very little air (And extremely cold temperatures).

Plus he went to the moon before and it would take hours for him to get there, Akira Toriyama confirmed the Moon was as far away as ours in an interview.

Also the reason why Goku would have been killed during the Freeza saga was

1. he would be knocked out by the explosion

2. There was no air whatsoever, maybe poionous gasses or asteroid dust

3. He had no means of teleportation or transportation to get to a planet

I thought the moon feat was an outlier and counted as gag?

Also the anime never said they were in space, or any atmospheric layer for that matter. It looked like space, but they never mentioned it. They did mention stratosphere in the manga

Faisal Shourov said:
I thought the moon feat was an outlier and counted as gag?
Also the anime never said they were in space, or any atmospheric layer for that matter. It looked like space, but they never mentioned it. They did mention stratosphere in the manga
In episode 11 they were high in the stratosphere, in Episode 12 they went far higher up

The moon feat was just an example

In DBZ Kai a wounded and bloodied Goku standed being underwater for like 10 minutes.

Did they mention they went above the stratosphere in the anime? In actual words? DB anime has lots of scaling issues, so I don't want to say they fought in space based on appearance solely. We need statements like "Im running outta breath" to verify

Also did Goku stand in underwater in the manga? Otherwise its not canon even if its in Kai

Well in all logical problems the character must demonstrate the ability to do something for that to be an accepted feat. The demonstration can either be direct(such as seeing someone destroy a country) or indirect(via correctly applied powerscaling). Goku has no demonstrated feats of being able to breathe in space and there exists no powerscaling methodology that can determine if he can breathe in space. As such I think it is safe to say Goku cannot breathe in spae until evidence suggests otherwise.

You're right. There is no evidence that suggest he doesn't need to breathe in space. The only thing that comes close (not evidence by any means) is the anime's portrayal of being high up in the sky. But there's no statement to prove that he was actually in outer space, and apperance can be deceiving in anime like DB where scaling issues are common. The manga says he was in stratosphere, which is far from space

Theres no such a thing as "Breathing in space" you can "Survive in space", and yes, Goku can "Survive" in space for some time period, and as it seems so can Whis and Beerus in a higher extent

@Faisal Shourov Thats why he protects the earth from all malicious attacks enemy try to pull of

The Living Tribunal1 said:
as far as beerus and whis are concerned, they seem to be not need to breath at all
Beerus and Whis are not saiyans, Frieza doesn't need to breathe as well. Breathing is a saiyan weakness

Breathing is also a human weakness and probably a Namekian weakness. It's probably a weakness to all species in the Dragon Ball franchise that are not shown traveling in space without any apparatus or explicitly said to be able to survive in a vacuum.

Back