• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dodging creation

Peppersalt43

They/Them
There are a lot of ways to conventionally dodge an attack whether it be superior skill or simply a speed gap. Now when faced against a character that can materialize objects and uses that for offense, assuming the range/size of the created object isn't too big, is theoretically possible to dodge the attack?

Yeah, this is possible. I'm assuming you have a specific example in mind (sharing that might help). I'm sure for certain characters, this would be more difficult to avoid, but its far from impossible to dodge and there are definitely characters who have displayed the kind of skill, speed, abilities, or comparable examples to justify their capability to do so

Yeah, this is possible. I'm assuming you have a specific example in mind (sharing that might help). I'm sure for certain characters, this would be more difficult to avoid, but its far from impossible to dodge and there are definitely characters who have displayed the kind of skill, speed, abilities, or comparable examples to justify their capability to do so
Basically it just makes things pop into existence. The whole object, instantly

Ah. I see. Those would be avoidable and they even have to be avoided in the game she comes from

Ah. I see. Those would be avoidable and they even have to be avoided in the game she comes from
That's the thing, it was dodgeable because Helltaker predicted where they'll come from. It just straight up pops into existence for literally everyone else

That's the thing, it was dodgeable because Helltaker predicted where they'll come from. It just straight up pops into existence for literally everyone else
Things that look instant for one character may be dodgeable for others. A much faster character would get out before the chain can manifest.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the speed at which smth manifests into existence, at least in the case of Judgement is literally infinite. In-game, Helltaker couldn't dodge it since the chain is summoned already wrapped around him via Judgement thinking it. Obviously in a case where someone is significantly faster than Judgement, they can "dodge it" by simply being too fast for her to see them or think about summoning it. But in a normal situation, where the two are equal, how could they dodge it if there's no indicator it will appear around them, and spawns into existence already wrapped around them tightly? Unless you have TP of course, in which case you can just TP out after being restrained.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the speed at which smth manifests into existence, at least in the case of Judgement is literally infinite. In-game, Helltaker couldn't dodge it since the chain is summoned already wrapped around him via Judgement thinking it. Obviously in a case where someone is significantly faster than Judgement, they can "dodge it" by simply being too fast for her to see them or think about summoning it. But in a normal situation, where the two are equal, how could they dodge it if there's no indicator it will appear around them, and spawns into existence already wrapped around them tightly? Unless you have TP of course, in which case you can just TP out after being restrained.
Naturally. The more literal instant is, the less scenarios will exist where a target is able to escape. Nonetheless, when talking theoretically, even an infinite speed manifestation could be avoided by immeasurable speed and such. Goes without saying that if we narrow it down to the scenarios where both characters are comparable, the one with a skill that the other perceives as instantaneous would have the edge and look unavoidable. That, however, runs in contrast to the OP's proposed question.

Naturally. The more literal instant is, the less scenarios will exist where a target is able to escape. Nonetheless, when talking theoretically, even an infinite speed manifestation could be avoided by immeasurable speed and such. Goes without saying that if we narrow it down to the scenarios where both characters are comparable, the one with a skill that the other perceives as instantaneous would have the edge and look unavoidable. That, however, runs in contrast to the OP's proposed question.
I think the question given context I have was referring to character's who aren't infinitely faster than Judgement tho. Like for Immeasurable, I agree. But I think the question is if characters without any unique abilities that are in a similar ballpark somehow avoid this.

Pretty much this

Depends what we mean by "unique abilities"
Teleportation. Laser keeps mentioning that

Also something nobody bothered to mention is that Judgement's attack speed with chains is faster than everyone's combat speed including herself. Take that as you will and how it affects the instantaneous claims

Teleportation. Laser keeps mentioning that

Also something nobody bothered to mention is that Judgement's attack speed with chains is faster than everyone's combat speed including herself. Take that as you will and how it affects the instantaneous claims
When I say instantaneous, I refer only to the materialization speed. I don't think there's a way to actually measure the speed something materializes into existence irl. Maybe a timeframe? Her moving the chains are just far faster than her. But her chains appearing into existence is the equivalent to Goku appearing out of thin air via IT.

When I say instantaneous, I refer only to the materialization speed. I don't think there's a way to actually measure the speed something materializes into existence irl.
Technically we can do the same thing with teleportation which while is instantaneous in action, does have to activated with combat speed

When I say instantaneous, I refer only to the materialization speed. I don't think there's a way to actually measure the speed something materializes into existence irl. Maybe a timeframe? Her moving the chains are just far faster than her. But her chains appearing into existence is the equivalent to Goku appearing out of thin air via IT.
The problem is that this take on the question makes the doubt's very premise into a contradiction. Asking if an instantaneous move can be dodged by someone comparable is like asking if I can evade the punch of a fighter equal to me, except they are firing a gun. On paper it says A and B stand on equal grounds, while by definition they very much aren't. And teleportation wouldn't save someone from being struck by the instantaneous because reactions factor in.

The problem is that this take on the question makes the doubt's very premise into a contradiction. Asking if an instantaneous move can be dodged by someone comparable is like asking if I can evade the punch of a fighter equal to me, except they are firing a gun. On paper it says A and B stand on equal grounds, while by definition they very much aren't. And teleportation wouldn't save someone from being struck by the instantaneous because reactions factor in.
To give my opinion, unless someone can see into the future, or is actually infinitely faster than the person or faster than they can react, they can't dodge it, as it materializes all at once already restraining them. Would you agree with that assertion?

To give my opinion, unless someone can see into the future, or is actually infinitely faster than the person or faster than they can react, they can't dodge it, as it materializes all at once already restraining them. Would you agree with that assertion?
Precognition would be a way, yes. That the speed gap needs to be infinite though is a logical leap. No matter how instantaneous it visually is, the attack needs statements or feats to support such a high speed rating.

Precognition would be a way, yes. That the speed gap needs to be infinite though is a jump in logic. No matter how instantaneous it visually looks like, the attack needs statements or feats to support such a high speed rating.
I offered the alternative of simply being faster than they can even perceive you. As if they aren't able to perceive you, they wouldn't be able summon the chain around them. But generally for any normal character at their level with no special abilities like teleportation or precognition, I don't see them being able to feasibly avoid an attack spawning already restraining them. But I understand what you mean.

I offered the alternative of simply being faster than they can even perceive you. As if they aren't able to perceive you, they wouldn't be able summon the chain around them. But generally for any normal character at their level with no special abilities like teleportation or precognition, I don't see them being able to feasibly avoid an attack spawning already restraining them. But I understand what you mean.
Yep. On board with all the things you said on this one.

Back