• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Doctor Strange's WTF Attack Potency

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
After rectifying Strange's nonsense profile division, it's time to talk about his even more nonsense Attack Potency ratings. Like seriously, who the hell divided them like that.

To break it down:
  • Strange's base rating is... Solar System level. Note, this isn't with spells, that's a separate rating altogether... his BASE, WITHOUT SPELLS OUTPUT, IS 4-B, except no it's not, his Striking Strength is Street Class. So... what?
  • With spells, Strange's base rating is 3-A. At lowest. Every spell he ever used, can destroy Universes. Do I need to explain how dumb this is?
  • His base physicals are listed 9-C, and I can't prove it but I definitely know that is wrong. Someone will have to go searching for better feats in the future, and I won't touch it this revision
Clearly his profile needs a rewrite, so this is the proposal I put forth to revise it
  • Attack Potency: Varies, Up to Multiverse level+, Possibly Low Complex Multiverse level at peak
"With Spells and Artifacts" is something that is redundant, Strange doesn't use core physicals ever in fights.

• In regards to scaling, look, I straight up don't think we should scale off of Doctor Strange, he's far too varied and we can't really keep up with the potency of his various spells, and their own separate consistency. Characters who scale to his Attack Potency should try to find feats with other characters, or be listed Unknown

He doesn't use base physicals in combat, so they won't be listed

Yeah, his 4-B and 3-A stuff aren't specified. Should mention 4-B with most attacks or 3-A with stronger spells would even be better than what is now. There's 0 mention what he is 4-B or 3-A with. But as the OP also adds, a lot of these scaling examples are inconsistent and some may be outliers and PIS.

Yes. Something like
  • "[something in tier 9] physically,
  • [Maybe 5-A] to Solar System level with regular spells, up to Multiverse level+, possibly Low Complex Multiverse level with a few spells.
  • Preparation allows him to be Universe level (feat) and Multiverse level+, possibly Low Complex Multiverse level (feats)"
I know it might look bad to have the 2-A & Low 1-C twice but the dude has it with and w/o prep.

• In regards to scaling, look, I straight up don't think we should scale off of Doctor Strange, he's far too varied and we can't really keep up with the potency of his various spells, and their own separate consistency. Characters who scale to his Attack Potency should try to find feats with other characters, or be listed Unknown
This strangely nails it, he's all over the place with no standards in power and speed. Iirc he once even failed to destroy a forcefield covering a city.

Mehhhhhhh, honestly I even disagree with him being 5-A with his weakest spells, and I say ditch the 4-B in its entirety.

I bet like, 5 spells tops hit 4-B/5-A range

Yes. Something like
  • "[something in tier 9] physically,
  • [Maybe 5-A] to Solar System level with regular spells, up to Multiverse level+, possibly Low Complex Multiverse level with a few spells.
  • Preparation allows him to be Universe level (feat) and Multiverse level+, possibly Low Complex Multiverse level (feats)"
I know it might look bad to have the 2-A & Low 1-C twice but the dude has it with and w/o prep.
I’d suggest labelling the prep as it’s own key (unless that is you’re proporsal and I missed that lol)
This strangely nails it, he's all over the place with no standards in power and speed. Iirc he once even failed to destroy a forcefield covering a city.
Part of why I hate comics scaling

But if you calculate mean, then it's just Tier 1, since infinity divided by whatever number is still infinity

If you calculate median, you would have to find every single comic feat and rank them and find the middle one

I mean, I'm sure you could find something to use from the respect threads or something.

Unfortunately a lot of respect threads (at least the ones I have seen) include the high ones and not the low ones.

OK what the ****

Almost none of the respect threads have any showings for Strange's physical punching power.

Yeah, they don't. Tho Strange doesn't really use his fists often. The bones in his hand are broken

We need to stop making every Marvel/DC thread becoming a "Tier 2/1/0 everyone" derailment fest.
I heavily agree with this. The fanboys have been running rampant recently in this regard. As I keep explaining, Marvel and DC run on "everybody can fight everybody" on a fundamental narrative level. We have to mostly scale from personal feats and consistency, rather than from who they have defeated or survived fighting at some point.

Well, he is a master martial artist, who can fight Wong rather evenly, I think.

I’d suggest labelling the prep as it’s own key (unless that is you’re proporsal and I missed that lol)
Well, not really, he jumps back to his normal stats a bit after the 3-A feat and on the one in which he matches the IG he could only do so for a while. "Looking bad" is a slight inconvenience and it would look much the same with keys anyway.

An upgrade physically seems unlikely. In Doctor Doom #2 Strange got knocked out by just being in a ship that got violently moved a bit, likely hitting his head against something off-panel, here while granted being careful to not hit something a normal person has and fighting better than it Strange's still unable to defeat it in around 3 minutes while the person kinda gets a hit on Strange while on it, and his profile already points out other anti-feat.

As said we can do physicals another time since that's moar work

Let's focus more on the profile structuring please

I don't think we can take away 4-B, since he's been portrayed as relative to characters like Hulk during large portions of his career (like the Defenders). 3-A seems pretty unnecessary and uncommon though, so we can axe that. So pretty much I agree with Eficiente. Physicals seems pretty difficult to measure, although we could probably cop-out with Marvel guidebook scaling. I'd much rather use other, more reliable options, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back