• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DnD classes

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
So let's say I want to make a profile for "DnD Barbarian/Cleric/Bard/etc...".
How would this work?

Would the keys be divided by levels?

Would the differences (oaths, college, etc...) each have their own P&A section?

Or would this just not be accepted ?

I was thinking about doing the same thing, actually, but I don't know if there's any standards for tabletop classes and classes from other kinds of RPGs. I guess you could use this guy as an example?

This has been on the table as a thing for a long time. Here's the long and short of the sitch.

First, we are planning on doing this eventually. Yes, they are allowed- multiclass profiles alone were rejected (even if I, to this day, disagree with the evaluation and think it was handled a wee bit unfairly). Class profiles have been discussed at length, particularly in the D&D work Discord between people like myself, Qawsed, Dragonstitch, and Tllmbrg.

Second, it would be based on levels, yeah. As far as I'm aware, most profiles would range from 9-B at base to High 6-A for main gameplay, potential Tier 2 keys for various epic level paths (things like ascending to godhood), and could reach up to potentially High 1-B when accounting for Mystara. The Psion page would have a 1-A key as well due to Topaz Crusader.

I don't know how we'd handle specific subclasses for 5e (or things like Prestige Classes from earlier editions). Likely they would have their own tabber and the sparse abilities provided by them would be listed there- I don't think ultimately they would change the profile much.

I need to make you understand something, though, since you seem to be implying something a bit iffy with the text- profiles wouldn't solely consider 5e. In general every edition must be considered unless something has been specifically retconned (so, say, "Elf" being a class). 4th Edition may require more scrutiny in this area since it is so wildly inconsistent on a lot of levels with other editions (MFTL+ and 9-A at 1st level as opposed to Subsonic and 9-B at 1st level, for example).

I Ieed to make you understand something, though, since you seem to be implying something a bit iffy with the text- profiles wouldn't solely consider 5e. In general every edition must be considered unless something has been specifically retconned (so, say, "Elf" being a class). 4th Edition may require more scrutiny in this area since it is so wildly inconsistent on a lot of levels with other editions (MFTL+ and 9-A at 1st level as opposed to Subsonic and 9-B at 1st level, for example).
I only mentionned 5th edition because it's the only one I know a little, but I understand.

Fair, I just get the impression that people forget the things leading up to 5th, I guess. Most of 5e players are exclusive to 5e, jams up the works occasionally when trying to get folks to understand this is just the current chapter.

Don't see why multiclasses would be an issue, at the end it is another set of powers and abilities, like any other character.

Don't see why multiclasses would be an issue, at the end it is another set of powers and abilities, like any other character.
Aye. However the old thread decided it was bad, and I've not the will to go and argue for it again.

I mean, Dritzz multiclasses, and I do not see users has an issue with it.

Now, if people want to create a composite... One wouldn't have to figure out the amount of combinations one could get via multiclassing and skills and such. I would oppose to composite, not due multiclasses, but mostly cuz I'm against composites in general, and even more against custumizable non-canon characters.

I mean, Dritzz multiclasses, and I do not see users has an issue with it.

Now, if people want to create a composite... One wouldn't have to figure out the amount of combinations one could get via multiclassing and skills and such. I would oppose to composite, not due multiclasses, but mostly cuz I'm against composites in general, and even more against custumizable non-canon characters.
The argument against this likely comes down to the fact that Drizzt is a character with established lore and backstory as opposed to a PC with a story built based on experiences. Much like I probably couldn't revise the Demon Hunter class page for World of Warcraft on the premise that it could technically change classes entirely.

I don't really understand how composites link to a class page in this instance but aight.

I mean I think the main reason we'd not want to do multi classing is just the sheer amount of Keys that would end causing, if characters like Goku get split to 3 pages due to how many Keys they have D&D classes should likely be treated the same, plus for match sake you can always specify what your PC is in terms of multi classing so

Basically to explain why it was rejected forever ago, is that the levels are combined rather than treated differently.

Like a 1 Fighter/1 Wizard/Thief would be equal to a 3 Fighter or 3 Ranger. Not just a 1 in all of those closes. So their couldn't be a Tier 9 in the profile under that reasoning. Since a 1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1 or whatever would be level 8 and not level 1

So what's the issue then? It would still be lv 3 strong, not as good fighter as a lv 3 fighter nor as good wizard as a lv 3 wizard, but in some way or another, can stand against a lv 3 fighter/wizard.

The statblock already represent the bunch abilities the npc has, rather than watch merely its level, you can pay attention to everything else, then compare to a character of the same level and see how the scaling goes.

Back