• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Development of categories for all tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsican

He/Him
This is basically a thread to discuss whether or not we should make a category to all "subtiers" of the tiers that every profile already has.

For example, if a character is just 9-B, it would get the tags "Tier 9" and "Tier 9-B"

This obviously would take a while to do, but it would help to make matches far easier.

I don't know what to say to you guys except "tough luck". Organizing a wiki-wide revision just for such a small issue as "But it's hard to find matchups" just isn't worth it, especially when we have much higher priorities on the "wiki-wide" list of things to do.

Couldn't the tags be simply made, but not added to all pages right away? So that at least new pages have it?

Plus, I would volonteer to do most of the stuff by next weekend.

So that we have like, 30 empty tags that won't serve any purpose and just look unfinished?

There are 16k pages. Assuming you can edit a page in 10 seconds, it would take you 44 hours to do so. Even with all of the staff on it, it would still take a significant amount of time of edit non-stop for this.

I have to agree. It's not like most pages aren't missing a good number of categories anyhow. Heck, Arceus didn't have the Video Game Character Catagory until recently. There's no rush.

Paulo.junior.969 said:
That would help a lot, but it would take long AF, since it would affect every single character in this wiki.
I mean, I would have nearly all of weekend, litiraly all of it, free.

I could at tge very least go through a few hundred on those days, and go through a few hundred through the free time in the week.

Well, after all, this is to just make the experience better for everyone, there´s nothing to rush, but I have to mention this just in case:

Don´t use these tags in verse pages (I think it would be obvious, but I feel like if that wasn´t mentioned, someone would fill verse pages with them).

It's not like only staff have to do this anyway. Trusted groups of non-staff with free time (like Ricsi) could easily devote their time to making the edits. There are clearly a few people with the free time, and willingness to do this while the staff handles everything else.

The only ones that I couldn't edut myself are the ones that are locked, but Ant can unlock pages en masse as long as the names are given to him properly, so I could do those as well by just asking for them to be unlocked, updating and saying "I'm done"

Well, the staff should only worry about the featured category and the locked pages, the rest of the users can simply edit some tags and ut them in.

However, I´m going to make a basic fomat for the names each of those would include:

(Give me a moment, I´ll put it in another comment, you may discuss the description each of those would have, by the way):

It's not feasible, and more importantly, it's not worth all the time it would take, even if normal users handled it. You can use more specific searches to find characters of the same tier.

But this is so you can simply search for characters in the same tiering category (for example, you can´t just make a 6-C fight a High 6-A).

I'm aware. Still not worth the time and effort it would take, and I guarantee the majority of the userbase would stop contributing at some point anyways, which would make the workload worse for everyone else.

Just learn how to search better.

On Google, the search " site:vsbattles.wikia.com "attack potency: [insert whatever AP here]" " will get you characters of that tier.

I do not see how this isn't feasible. The only thing is that it would take a long time, which isn't exactly the most compelling reason to not do so.

Even if I were to do it alone I would ve done after a few months tops. And I honestly do have the time to waste, and could simply go one tier at a time (go to tier 9 category, do stuff there, etc.)

I strongly doubt you alone would have motivation to go through thousands of pages doing tedious work over the course of months. I strongly doubt anyone on this wiki cares enough to sacrifice that much time for something so trivial.

Bobsican said:
But this is so you can simply search for characters in the same tiering category (for example, you can´t just make a 6-C fight a High 6-A).
Mostly true, but it depends on the hax of each. Still a stomp for the High 6-A 99% of the time.

I found your lack of belief in the amount of time I am ready to throw away for no reason rather disturbing.

Revising a verse =/= editing every single character page on this wiki to incorporate categories for their precise tiers when there's a no-effort solution that takes about 10 seconds to do.

If it would be done in any way, it'd be done by staff members using AWB. That'd be a lot faster than doing it manually, and it'd still be a tedious pain in the ass.

It took you a year to get to 16k edits, not sure what makes you think you can do 16k pages in a few months.

Mostly true, but it depends on the hax of each. Still a stomp for the High 6-A 99% of the time.

The categories won't help that, they'd just be in the same tier range and nothing else

The categories won't help that, they'd just be in the same tier range and nothing else

Better then what we have.

SomebodyData said:
It took you a year to get to 16k edits, not sure what makes you think you can do 16k pages in a few months.
The fact that the edit itself would not take long at all, and that ithers would somewhat help.

And how many of the people who would offer to help would carry through? How many would do more than a couple pages? It's just not worth the effort; again, if you want it that bad just learn to use Google better. That takes almost no effort and won't waste anyone's time.

SomebodyData said:
Well, becaaouse those were casually, but when done for this sort of stuff, it isn´t as bad as it may seem.

It´s not like leaving the wok unfinished in that regard would turn the site worse or something, it can be done eventually.

I've thought this was a good idea pretty much since joining the site.

But the colored names say it's not worth it so ┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back