• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Deleting a Couple of Mythos Profiles

As far as I understand, it is possible to find a power scale coherence in the original canon.

Oh I know it can be measured, as measuring something so unfathomable is, you have to admit, it breaks a lot of the rules, not saying that's a bad thing, I think it's extraordinary, but it alone is so tantalising, like the Outer Gods themselves have a place for Tier 0.

Like the Outer Gods passively killing of a 1-A by just taking notice of it, it's very very interesting, by far the most interesting verse I've ever seen and has yet to be matched.

Well while I don't think we should make profiles for the EU as one big verse, or, gods forbid, including it in "canon" Mythos, I'm not a huge fan either of the idea of preventing the creation of any "EU"-exclusive profiles. Strictly speaking, they aren't that much different from verses claiming to be part of the Mythos and using its characters, so treating them as just "Fanfic" isn't really legitimate.

However, putting them all together in one big verse certainly isn't feasible, so I'd rather treat stories from new authors individually instead.

The thing about EU Cthulhu is that consistency is just straight up not a thing. You could do what Dargoo wanted for SCP and only have what's written by those authors, and lovecraft himself obviously, be treated as canonical, but im personally not sure. As of now, not really on board.

While I haven't read it up myself, the only thing that seems to make it this inconsistent is trying to treat all those different stories as under one verse. Since these are all different authors doing their own things, we obviously get nonsensically nonsensical stuff. I'd rather have what you proposed, treating individual authors as their own thing.

Like I said, despite those people claiming to be writing for the CM verse, factually, it isn't that different from people trying to make sequels or stories set in the same universe as other public domain works.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
However, putting them all together in one big verse certainly isn't feasible, so I'd rather treat stories from new authors individually instead.
This is easier said than done.

For instance, this version of Cthulhu mostly uses info that is compiled under the CoC RPG and Cthulhu Wars (both of which are overseen by Sandy Petersen), and things are already pretty nuts. This is because not everything in the EU is a single story. There are compilations, games, etc, and differing ideas of what actually determines the verse and its canon.

Like Azathoth, I also consider starting to use expanded universe stories as likely too confusing for our visitors.

Antvasima said:
Like Azathoth, I also consider starting to use expanded universe stories as likely too confusing for our visitors.
Maybe using individual storys if someone wanted to add a character from the expanded universe would make it less inconsistent? If not perhaps the other guy should go to the FC/OC wiki or joke battels to do that?

Existentialist objectivism tends to be depressing.

I consider the varying Azathoths to just be tiny tiny tiny aspects of the one true Azathoth. And all these contradictions and inconsistencies are either the unreliable narrator trope at work or perhaps since the entire Cthulhu Mythos is a mutlverse, they could all be right or exist in a certain way. Makes about as much sense as the inconsistencies of the SCP verse and the tonal issues their if you ask me. At least the Cthulhu Mythos has a consistent tone for the most part.

Back