• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Deleting a Couple of Mythos Profiles

Azathoth_the_Abyssal_Idiot

VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
I just (sort of) came back and the first thing I'm doing is deleting two of the strongest pages from one of my favorite verses. Neat.

I want to get rid of the pages for The Nameless Mist and The Unnamed Darkness, both of which are pages that were made by me. I don't need a massive amount of input for this, but I figured I'd make this its own thread as opposed to just posting in the profile deletion thread so I could info-dump and explain why I want to do this.

First off, we know next to nothing about either of these things. Their most direct mention was in Lovecraft's partially tongue-in-cheek family tree, which has its most reliable use in showing that he did indeed view Azathoth as the peak of his pseudo-hierarchy of cosmic beings, and that's about it. Outside of that, there's very little.

Second, it's extremely possible that both of these things are also Yog-Sothoth. While this may sound a bit confusing, it's actually fairly straightforward, as well as something pretty explicitly discussed within Through the Gates of the Silver Key.

"In the face of that awful wonder, the quasi-Carter forgot the horror of destroyed individuality. It was an All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self—not merely a thing of one Space-Time continuum, but allied to the ultimate animating essence of existence's whole unbounded sweep—the last, utter sweep which has no confines and which outreaches fancy and mathematics alike. It was perhaps that which certain secret cults of earth have whispered of as YOG-SOTHOTH, and which has been a deity under other names; that which the crustaceans of Yuggoth worship as the Beyond-One, and which the vaporous brains of the spiral nebulae know by an untranslatable Sign—yet in a flash the Carter-facet realised how slight and fractional all these conceptions are."

Every conception of "Yog-Sothoth" is deemed to be "slight and fractional". This is because they are all the ideas of beings who are in their own ways limited trying to find some way to describe something that is all things and that is unlimited. Yog-Sothoth is only referred to as "YOG-SOTHOTH" a single time in the story, and that is as an example of an incomplete idea of it. Every other instance, it's referred to using far more nebulous terms or titles, most often simply called "the BEING" or "ENTITY", specifically because assigning a name to this thing prevents you from referring to it in its entirety. It is extremely possible other nebulous things like the Mist and the Darkness are merely further views on this "thing". Lovecraft did possibly contradict himself a bit, putting Azathoth as the source of everything while at another point stating Yog-Sothoth had no creator, though Through the Gates of the Silver Key also likely rectifies this, directly stating that Yog-Sothoth and the Archetypes are beyond change, causality, and the limits of perspective, which would fit with Lovecraft seemingly having the view of these beings having always existed yet still putting Azathoth at the "head" of the proverbial family.

Furthermore, the Mist and Darkness aren't really characters, nor are they weapons or even places, and unlike Yog, they aren't a key part of the Mythos' cosmology. It's hard to define what they are, aside from ideas. They didn't really become characters until the expanded Mythos, which we do not use for our main profiles, here.

All these things considered, it's likely far easier to just remove them.

To be fair, Shub Niggurath wasn't really a character until EU mythos. I definitely agree that Yog is likely another form or perspective of the mist, not sure on the darkness as of now given how it's posited as this antithesis to the mist, as the "embodiment" of formlessness as opposed to the mist's representation of primal form, but I'd have to re read the relevant books from the Dream Cycle.

Wokistan said:
To be fair, Shub Niggurath wasn't really a character until EU mythos.
It wasn't, but at least it was invoked and mentioned as a thing that actually existed, even if not clearly defined (which, to be fair, Lovecraft's gods aren't supposed to be). At the bare minimum, we know it's a character, which is more than what we can say for the Mist and Darkness without the EU.

I do obviously agree on the Mist being pretty heavily presented as just "a more primal view of 'Yog-Sothoth'" or something of that nature, though.

I think that this seems fine, but you should probably mention in the verse page that other members should not recreate the profiles.

Okay. I prefer to err on the side of caution though.

Makes sense, the two existing makes things very confusing, but would you consider making an EU profile for the Mythos as I would really like to see what the other writers made in comparison to the original in a critical light which Vswiki provides.

Udlmaster said:
Makes sense, the two existing makes things very confusing, but would you consider making an EU profile for the Mythos as I would really like to see what the other writers made in comparison to the original in a critical light which Vswiki provides.
Already did one.

EU Cthulhu is strange. Azathoth gets beat up by Cthulhu tier stuff at one point, Richard Nixon is an avatar of Nyarlathotep , and the buddha is an outer god, as the good cointerpart to yog sothoth. There's a reason we don't use them lol

Pretty sure we can make profiles for non-character/weapon/place entities. Pages for events and other vague entities exist. And a character being minor or major doesn't really matter for their profile-creation potential.

But for the two being just part of Yog, I'm not too knowledgeable about the verse, so I can't give a strong opinion, but I guess this seems fine. Maybe.

"And a character being minor or major doesn't really matter for their profile-creation potential."

Not for if it should have a page, but if we can acurately even tier it or determne what it is, in the first place.

What stories have the most stuff about the darkness? I already agree that the mist is a different viewpoint, so to speak, but not much on the darkness.

Wokistan said:
EU Cthulhu is strange. Azathoth gets beat up by Cthulhu tier stuff at one point, Richard Nixon is an avatar of Nyarlathotep , and the buddha is an outer god, as the good cointerpart to yog sothoth. There's a reason we don't use them lol
TBF Buddha being 1-A is consistent

Considering that we don't use "EU mythos" and only use the stuff originally written by him and that Cthulhu was never really meant to be this main flagship entity, maybe, but the name Cthulhu did popularize his writings so its likely better to keep it as is to not confuse people. I usually call them Lovecraft mythos, but Cthulhu is more recognizable.

Have the profiles in question been deleted?

Okay. I think that this seems to have been accepted though.

"Lovecraft Mythos" isn't really a thing. If you were going by what Lovecraft wanted to call it (or at least jokingly suggested because the man couldn't give two ***** about establishing some sort of pantheon and constant mythology), that would be "Yog-Sothothery", except for the fact nobody but the full on elder nerds like myself even use that term for more than a quick "did you know?" piece of trivia.

@Ant

I haven't deleted the pages yet, but can do so if this is accepted. I can always just restore them if someone presents something I had no idea about that changes my mind, anyway.

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
Am I the only person who thinks Cthulhu mythos should be called lovecraft?
Fun fact

He wanted it to be called the Yog Sothothium, but Cthulhu was more popular than Yog despite only showing up once. Probably because people liked the (incorrect) idea that you could killed a Great Old One with a boat.

I had the impression that these changes were already accepted, but I may misremember.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
If you were going by what Lovecraft wanted to call it (or at least jokingly suggested because the man couldn't give two ***** about establishing some sort of pantheon and constant mythology), that would be "Yog-Sothothery"
This is why I should read all the comments in a thread first

Okay. I suppose that you can delete the profiles then. Just remember to remove all links to them from other profiles and the verse page.

Done.

Also, while we're here, I kinda want to either downgrade or delete this thing (who I also made).

The downgrade would be to flat out "Unknown", since the only time it was referred to as an Outer God was way after Lovecraft died. In the original story, we have no idea what it is.

I say "or delete" because Tru'nembra is also an EU name, and I have no goddamn idea what to even call that page, otherwise.

Okay. Deleting the page seems more appropriate if we do not even know the character's original intended name.

We don't really know anything about it, aside from the fact it seemed to create a street that wasn't actually real, and later create a "space illimitable; unimagined space alive with motion and music, and having no semblance to anything on earth".

It's more an unnamed force than any kind of character really, which is why it having a profile feels...off.

So, will we be seeing Extended Universe profiles for the other characters?

I'd love to see how SUMMONING YOG-SOTHOTH WORKS?!

Because, is it really summoning when the thing you are trying to summon is already there?

Also, yes, I'd actually love the Mythos to be called the "Yog-sothothery" because who doesn't love Yog-Sothoth.

We're not doing EU profiles because scaling is completely thrown out the window and what with it being a public domain work they basically amount to fanfiction.. Just check out Azzy's composite Cthulhu blog here for an example of why we don't consider EU Cthulhu canon.

SCP was originally constructed in that manner, and I am nevertheless not certain that it was a good idea to feature it.

Regardless, the extended Lovecraft canon is completely inofficial, incoherent, and contradictory. Featuring it is definitely not a good idea.

Ah, oh well then, I was thinking more purely about the idea of documenting it, as let's be honest, Cthulhu Mythos breaks all the rules anyway.

Back