• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Death (Folklore) deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally when I saw this 'character' years ago I thought it was alright and moved on, man was I an idiot a year or two ago.

This isn't a character. Death in folklore isn't just a guy that goes around killing people, it's straight up a metaphor for people getting themselves killed, majority of the time like complete morons. Like in one folk tale greed got the better of three idiots and they killed each other over a small amount of gold. At the end of the tale they said they lost a bet with death: I.E they killed themselves. There was no mystical being that killed them they just killed themselves and that implies to majority of death's stories. If it isn't a group of idiots killing each other it's usually a natural phenomenon. Like with disease being his 'messenger'. Death doesn't actually control disease, diseases just cause lots of death super easily. Death along with Old Father Time should both be deleted as they are metaphors not actual characters in these old stories.

This is... kinda stupid, sorry if I'm being offensive. Death does exist as a character in this stories. He gets beaten by a giants, strikes deals and interacts with people. In some stories he killes characters directly. So, I do not agree with you, sir.

Striking deals with death is a pretty classic example of a metaphor. And he 'interacts' with people the same way actual death interacts with people. Death talking to you usually means you're about to die and are losing you mind (or your in the stages of grief) not that a mystical concept of death is truly interacting with you. And even if it was truly interacting with them the entire story would be a metaphor like in the case of the three thieves that tried to 'cheat death'. They didn't cheat an actual guy, they just were greedy and got themselves killed. And in the case he was beaten by a giant can you link that story to me because that sounds like either a one off instance since a giant a fictional things (it could have also have been a metaphor for something considering that was mostly the point of folktales).

Edit: The only giants I've found that have beat death when looking it up is Greek giants and this Death isn't from Greek mythology.

Here . Still, its an actual character, like God, or Devil, or anyone else. We don't have an unreliable author to assume that such character doesn't exist in a fantasy world of folklore. Plus there were some stories (although I do not know if it does exist in english), where after cheating Death, old woman became immortal. It isn't a metaphor for something, it is stated, that she won't be taken by Grim Reaper.

Being immortal would just mean the concept of death won't be able to take her not that a mystical being can't take her.

When it comes to the giant story, just want to let you know, that would downgrade Death into the dirt so if we're actually using that story then I need to make a separate thread for that.

Not really, since we do not know the stats of the giant. Plus it was a "long, violent battle".

The thing is: if it was said, that she tricked Death (the person) into staying away from her, and that she became immortall afterwards, then it is crystal clear for me that a mystical being can't take her.

Tricking death is one of the oldest metaphors in the book. Just avoid things that would get you killed, that's mostly the lesson from those types of stories. Like how the thief stories say don't kill each other over greed.

The fight being long is meaningless to the downgrade. He can no longer be non corporeal as something without non physical interaction managed to hit him. His aura would be removed as multiple people managed to get close without feeling cold or dying like the profile states. He would lose his abstract existence because a person managed to hit him just via being really tuff. And he would lose most of his immortalities as Death was about to die from that fight. So yes that fight downgrades him badly.

Just want to point out my auto correct for some reason changes without to with so if one of my points didn't make sense before editing the comment that's why.

Ok so I guess I'm fine with keeping death since that giant story was pretty blatant but I'm also downgraded him because he just got his shit kick in due to opponent being really strong which removes many of his abilities (his death manipulation also wasn't even combat applicable in that story so now Death's main ability is literally worthless).

Look, I get what you're saying. The folklore tales usually teaches us some valid lessons. I get it. The stories in the folklore are the metaphors for us, the readers. Don't go to the forest, wolves will eat you. Avoid deseases, or Death will take you. Don't be greedy, be smart, be strong, etc. But for the characters in the story this events are real. Thats exactly the point.

Again, we do not know, whether or not this giant was having non physical interaction, aura is probably can be turned on and off, abstract existense would become 2 type. And the Death wasn't about to die, he was "so weak that he could not get up again".

I don't think that's even type 2. And if he loses the abstract existence he won't have any of those immortalities anymore as they are reliant on him being the concept of death, but he states that people aren't going to die if he didn't get off the ground. That means there isn't any reason for him to have type 8 immortality as there isn't a greater concept he relies on and it more implies he is just a guy with death manipulation rather than a universal concept so he would lose type 9 and 5.

Even ignoring the immortalities since I guess I'm fine with abstract existence type 2 (though I personal doubt it): you can't just assume that the giant has non physical interaction. That's a point against death not something we just assume the giant had. At best it's an outlier, at worse he shouldn't have that power.

Finally that fight and the rest of his story seems to make his death manipulation non combat applicable. It takes him a long period of time to kill the guy he met after the giant and he couldn't defeat the giant despite having an all out fight with it.

Okay, lets move our discussion to the new thread. If you're convinced, then will you close this one?

I believe only staff can delete threads (properly anyways) and I remember that majority of the staff on this site wanted to delete death for another reason so I'll leave it open for now and contact staff later to delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back