• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics - Animal Man Cosmology Determination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, you need to port all of these images to Imgur before adding them to wiki. We don't allow images from rco directly anymore

Last edited:
Where is the 7C coming from? The universe destruction is a bit too vague and can be hax related, if not, then should be billion times greater than 7c.

Where is the 7C coming from? The universe destruction is a bit too vague and can be hax related, if not, then should be billion times greater than 7c.
7-C comes from Buddy tanking an explosion of energy from Antagon with very minimal damage. And since Antagons casual blast of energy were shown(Animal Man #50) to be capable of decimating an entire town(Animal Man #50), I interpreted the scaling as Buddy varying in base to at least "town level."

Also the universe destruction thing is kind of vague but it's shown on panel that Antagon destroyed it with his own energy and not some type of hax.

You would probably need to get that calced. Since it could be higher or lower. But for now, until the calc comes, I would recommend putting it at likely and then when someone calcs it, you can replace it with a concrete rating.

Also, might wanna include these scans in the main AP section when updating it.

You would probably need to get that calced. Since it could be higher or lower. But for now, until the calc comes, I would recommend putting it at likely and then when someone calcs it, you can replace it with a concrete rating.

Also, might wanna include these scans in the main AP section when updating it.
Thanks. Will do.

Nice job. However you still need change his town level rating to "likely town level" as we don't have an actual calc for it yet. And delete all that nonsense written in his note section on his wall as it's blatantly wrong. Also Animal Man #50 needs to be added to the reference section.

DC files in general are lacking in quality. Aside from ap, cosmology, and speed upgrades, barely any work has been put into the others oof

Ant told me that this thread has not received enough input to be accepted. And that it is preferable to wait.

Can Antvasima at least ping members who are knowledgeable on tier 1 and up to evaluate my proposals? This thread won't go anywhere until he does. The last set of people he pinged to evaluate the tiers of the cosmology were DC knowledgeable members. Which doesn't make any sense as DC knowledgeable members don't specialize in understanding the tiering system.

You need the necessary evaluation on knowledgeable people about the verse, it is no use Ant calling knowledgeable people about tier 1 if they don't know if what you are proposing makes sense according to the verse.

You need the necessary evaluation on knowledgeable people about the verse, it is no use Ant calling knowledgeable people about tier 1 if they don't know if what you are proposing makes sense according to the verse.
Here’s the thing though, Ant pinged 4 knowledgeable members to evaluate the information, half of which have been inactive for some time and haven’t showed up. Only two knowledgeable members showed up and they both complimented the post. Then me and Ant moved on to discussing tiers. After I gave my proposal for tiers Ant pinged people who were knowledgeable on DC to evaluate them. Which like I said before doesn’t make sense.

If Ant wants the information evaluated again then he should have referred them to the information in the original post and not the tiers. And he should also ping different people since the last set of people he pinged either already showed up, don’t care about the thread, or are inactive.

Last edited:
Multiverse = 2-A (The universe is constantly splitting into new branches with there being any number of alternative universes and countless variations of Animal Man stretching in all directions towards infinity.)

Space Beyond all knowing = Low 1-C (It’s the space of the dream where thought becomes the template and where the Animal Masters exist bringing forth our reality by dreaming it into existence.)

Hierarchy of Universes = 2-C to High 1-B (A interconnected and recursive system of wholes(universes) made up smaller and smaller wholes each seeing each other as a dream and spiraling down until our world is like a cell in the Body of God which represents the entire system.)

Lifeweb = Low 1-A (A timeless sea beyond the universe hierarchy containing mirrors in which the higher dimensions of the cosmology are treated as just a reflection.)

Peak of the Web = low 1-A (The greater part of the web that is continuously stretching beyond the level of timeless sea and all previous levels, all the way into infinity. With more fundamental conceptual levels of existence that sit outside of time and space residing at the top.)

Worlds Soul = 1-A (Conceptually encompasses the whole universe/Lifeweb as the big idea and surpasses it as the whole amongst wholes, functioning as a higher level of consciousness that represents the unification of all ideas and all individual souls in creation.

Worlds Beyond = 1-A (Exist beyond the entirety of the Lifeweb and are even greater in size than the World Soul, with creation being seen as a vortex or pattern of life forming in its eternal sea of consciousness.)

Comic Book Limbo = High 1-A (Represents the Implicate Order and trivializes all ideal worlds imaginable to the point where they’re just attempts at trying to describe Limbo’s infinite possibility. Treating everything Buddy has ever known, that is, was, and shall be, as only a hallucination, with not even the authors who reside in Limbo looking down at what goes on in the great light/page as a story, being considered real. The beings that exist here also stand absolutely outside of the narratives and stories that define existence with characters who exist within the story being considered just memories of old fashioned characters.)
Well if the descriptions given are true, I think the given tiers make sense.
Also, you need to port all of these images to Imgur before adding them to wiki. We don't allow images from rco directly anymore
Then Dr. Manhattan's page needs an edit:

Sorry but I’m a little confused. You want people who are knowledgeable on DC to properly evaluate the tiers I proposed right? So, how are they supposed to do that when none of them specialize in tiers? Wouldn’t it make more sense to have people who are actually knowledgeable on tiers provide their assistance?
They have been a part of our DC cosmology revision project for quite a while, so I trust their abilities to properly evaluate this in a proper context, to see if your very extreme claims are even correct, rather than bringing in people who do not have sufficient specific knowledge about the topic as the first step of procedure.

@Deagonx @LuciferDC099 @Elizio33 @Sandman31 @Eficiente @Firestorm808 @Kerfuffles2 @Planck69

I would still greatly appreciate your help here:

Ant told me that this thread has not received enough input to be accepted. And that it is preferable to wait.
More specifically, part of the new statistics (7-C) also seemed based on guesswork rather than calculations.

They have been a part of our DC cosmology revision project for quite a while, so I trust their abilities to properly evaluate this in a proper context, to see if your very extreme claims are even correct, rather than bringing in people who do not have sufficient specific knowledge about the topic as the first step of procedure.
Well then can you at least ping more people instead of those same 8? 2 of them already complimented the post and the rest seem unlikely to show up since they’re either inactive or uninterested.

More specifically, part of the new statistics (7-C) also seemed based on guesswork rather than calculations.
I didn’t guess that Animal Man was likely 7-C. Antagon’s blast of energy was blatantly shown to be destroying an entire town and Buddy tanked an explosion of his energy with minimal damage. That makes him at least likely town level. Which would have been an ok rating to apply until we got a calc.

Last edited:
I sent a notification to the people who have helped me with the DC Comics cosmology project. I want to check with them how your revision fits into that context.

Also, all statistics tiers between 9-A and 4-B tend to need accepted calculation blogs as a basis. Just because somebody has destroyed a town, this does not remotely automatically make them town level in energy output regardless of method, timeframe, and the size of the town.

I sent a notification to the people who have helped me with the DC Comics cosmology project. I want to check with them how your revision fits into that context.
I understand what you’re saying. To be honest, they probably won’t be able to answer you on that question, but I can. Here’s what Grants cosmology will look like if the scaling I presented gets incorporated.
  • Material realms and Godsphere stay the same.
  • Lifeweb and Worlds beyond the third Kingdom get incorporated below Comic Book Limbo but stay separated from the Material realms and the Godsphere.
  • Nil and the realm of the Overvoid get their tier up scaled since they exist beyond Comic Book Limbo.
Also, all statistics tiers between 9-A and 4-B tend to need accepted calculation blogs as a basis. Just because somebody has destroyed a town, this does not remotely automatically make them town level in energy output regardless of method, timeframe, and the size of the town.
If you say so. I will try to get a calc for the feat.

Last edited:
Well, I have sent them a PM message about this, but several of them are only online here occasionally, so I don't want you to constantly try to rush this thread and constantly demand the same type of replies from me. You will have to be very patient, just like I have been. I started our project around September 2020.

My evaluation of the Animal Man Scans and Planes of Existence for this standalone cosmology.
Multiverse = 2-A (The universe is constantly splitting into new branches with there being any number of alternative universes and countless variations of Animal Man stretching in all directions towards infinity.)

Space Beyond all knowing = Low 1-C (It’s the space of the dream where thought becomes the template and where the Animal Masters exist bringing forth our reality by dreaming it into existence.)

Hierarchy of Universes = 2-C to High 1-B (A interconnected and recursive system of wholes(universes) made up smaller and smaller wholes each seeing each other as a dream and spiraling down until our world is like a cell in the Body of God which represents the entire system.)

Lifeweb = Low 1-A (A timeless sea beyond the universe hierarchy containing mirrors in which the higher dimensions of the cosmology are treated as just a reflection.)

Peak of the Web = low 1-A (The greater part of the web that is continuously stretching beyond the level of timeless sea and all previous levels, all the way into infinity. With more fundamental conceptual levels of existence that sit outside of time and space residing at the top.)

Worlds Soul = 1-A (Conceptually encompasses the whole universe/Lifeweb as the big idea and surpasses it as the whole amongst wholes, functioning as a higher level of consciousness that represents the unification of all ideas and all individual souls in creation.

Worlds Beyond = 1-A (Exist beyond the entirety of the Lifeweb and are even greater in size than the World Soul, with creation being seen as a vortex or pattern of life forming in its eternal sea of consciousness.)

Comic Book Limbo = High 1-A (Represents the Implicate Order and trivializes all ideal worlds imaginable to the point where they’re just attempts at trying to describe Limbo’s infinite possibility. Treating everything Buddy has ever known, that is, was, and shall be, as only a hallucination, with not even the authors who reside in Limbo looking down at what goes on in the great light/page as a story, being considered real. The beings that exist here also stand absolutely outside of the narratives and stories that define existence with characters who exist within the story being considered just memories of old fashioned characters.)
Multiverse - Do we classify a branching timeline toward infinity as "any higher finite amount" or countably infinite?

Space Beyond all knowing - Taking this as the place that encompasses all timelines, I can see Low 1-C.

Hierarchy of Universes - I'm not that knowledgeable on this Quantum Theory, but I can see the interpretation of layered reality with the dream analogy. I don't know how many layers it goes, but it would be at least 1-C, possibly 1-B taking into account Space beyond all knowing.

The Lifeweb/The Red - I can see at least High 1-B, possibly Low 1-A

Peak of the Web - at least High 1-B, possibly Low 1-A

Worlds Soul - At least Low 1-A, possibly 1-A

Worlds Beyond - 1-A

The Great Light - At least 1-A I suppose.

Comic Book Limbo - High 1-A I suppose.

Last edited:
Interesting. Also this should absolutely not be a standalone. Grant played the most significant role in developing all of this. The hierarchy of universes was designed by Grant, along with The Great Light, The Implicate Order/Comic Book Limbo and The Lifeweb/The Red. Additionally, Grant also makes use of the concepts within Animal Man in other stories as well. The Implicate Order being reintroduced in Final Crisis is the most prime example. The Implicate Order also being referenced in Arkham Aslyum is another example. (Batman Arkhum Aslyum 1989) Or how Mandrakk is entirely based off of Antagon. Additionally Animal Man would be a focal starting point for Morrison's meta shenanigans and cosmological theories(Superstring theory, Bohm Theory, etc) that we would see in later stories. With even the idea of the Overvoid being technically first introduced in Animal Man.

All in all, Animal Man's influence on the rest of Grants work and Grants influence on Animal Man is way too high for us to separate them. So considering this to be a standalone wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:
The way I see it, Grant started laying some ideas in Animal Man 1-25. The later authors on Animal Man built from that.

Grant would later revamp his cosmology with Final Crisis and Multiversity, not really mentioning some of the concepts he had from AM except Comic Limbo.

I break up this topic into 2 sections.

What is the Animal Man cosmology on its own?

Is this Animal Man cosmology compatible or conflicting with Grant's established Final Crisis/Multiversity cosmology?

At this time, I'm only giving my thoughts on the first section.

I understand. Since you're only answering the first section I won't further assume your stance on whether it should be a standalone or not. However I don't really think we can claim that Grant revamped his cosmology. Mainly because Grant was already laying the foundation for Final Crisis in the 1989 Doom patrol run. Which started up right after Animal Man and was being written during the same time as Batman Arkham Aslyum. So it's clear that Grant was working with a cosmology comprised of multiple concepts. And like I said before, a lot of concepts Grant brought into Final Crisis and Multiversity came from the later comics. Mandrakk being based off Antagon, the Overvoid being the comic book page, etc.

Thank you for helping out, Firestorm808. However, since this is a drastic change that would affect our ongoing DC Comics cosmology revision project, we need further input from other participants as well before we can do anything.

We also obviously cannot create a composite cosmology by mixing Morrison with other Animal Man authors.

Why can’t we have a cosmology that’s defined by multiple writers? Looking at Elizios sandbox you guys already did this by including justifications from stuff like Countdown into Morrison’s cosmology. You guys also did it with Snyder’s cosmology, including entirely separate comics that Scott Snyder played no part in and was written separately by people like Steve Orlando, Scott Lobdell, and more. So to say “we obviously can’t do this” is completely hypocritical considering that you’ve already done it.

We can only do it with the parts that Morrison has acknowledged and incorporated into his canon, and have to be very careful in this regard. Otherwise we start stacking the very conflicting different types of cosmologies from all of the writers on top of each otHer again, which turns the character statistics heavily exaggerated and contradictory with the stories that they have been displayed in.

My apologies, but I am not going to budge in this regard, as your suggested kind of approach is what has turned our DC Comics scaling into such an enormous incoherent mess in the first palce, which we have been trying to straighten out, make sense of, and fix for almost 2 years now.

Ok but I’m not stacking a “conflicting cosmology.” What I’ve presented in this thread is literally mostly designed and structured by Morrison. And obviously what’s mostly designed by Morrison is going to be a part of his “canon” as you put it.

The stories that he wrote himself, sure. That seems reasonable, but not all of the Animal Man writers that came after him.

We also need to figure out in what manners he might have modified his cosmology from his 1988 or so Animal Man stories to the 2008 Final Crisis event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back