• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics and String Theory Dimensions Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, you probably should show this to Antvasima, Matthew Schroeder and the others.

Elizio33 said:
Nice, you probably should show this to Antvasima, Matthew Schroeder and the others.
Shall I invite them to this thread, or where should I repost this?

Here is others you can invite to this thread Sandman31, Azathoth, Ryukama, Reppuzan, KLOL506, Zensum, TheC2, Crimson Azoth, Eficiente, Sera EX, Kepekley23, Qawsedf234, Huesito88.

Anyway, this seems based on too much speculation for my taste.

Antvasima said:
Anyway, this seems based on too much speculation for my taste.
It is speculation, but I believe it would be a good starting point to determining the exact dimensions of each part of the DC Multiverse map. The map is based on String Theory, after all.

How is it based on string theory?

Antvasima said:
How is it based on string theory?
The description of the Orrery of Worlds:

"52 brane universes vibrating in the same space, all at different frequencies, within the all-encompassing Bulk (Bleedspace)".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brane_cosmology

Branes are a part of String Theory, namely the branches suggesting the extra dimensions are potentially infinite, extra large dimensions. Mentioning branes in relation to the universes in the Orrery of Worlds, while the Bleed is called a "bulk", points towards Morrison using the Brane Cosmology version of String Theory.

I am not nearly familiar enough with DC's cosmological structure to accurately assess something like this.

I'm pretty sure Matthew is busy with other things, but he's the first person I can think of who would understand DC's cosmology in relation to this. Ultima is also your person for dimensional stuff in general (I would say), but I don't know who else would be familiar with that aspect of things.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
I am not nearly familiar enough with DC's cosmological structure to accurately assess something like this.
I went off the description of the 52 universes as brane universes within a higher-dimensional Bulk (bleed space) found on the Multiverse map. Reinforcing it is how the Map calls its sections "multiversal vibrational realms", with vibrations being key to String Theory.

String Theory describes all the possible timelines for a single Universe (from start to finish) as being a point in 7-dimensional space. I took the local Multiverse in Bleed Space to be that point and worked from there.

Just want to point out that the video you used as reference is not actually String Theory. It's pseudosciency nonsense which actually borders on mysticism, just like the rest of the stuff made up by that guy.

Ultima Reality said:
Just want to point out that the video you used as reference is not actually String Theory. It's pseudosciency nonsense which actually borders on mysticism, just like the rest of the stuff made up by that guy.
Just about every other place I searched on information about the 10 dimensions as defined by String Theory say roughly the same thing.

If there is a more accurate interpretation of String Theory, I couldn't find it. All I know is that this guy also used the same interpretation:

DC's Guide to the Multiverse
DC's Guide to the Multiverse

https://web2.ph.utexas.edu/~coker2/index.files/4d.shtml

^ Here is an article explaining how String Theory Dimensions work.

That video is mostly dimensional mumbo jumbo which is more aligned to sci-fi stuff than actual String Theory. Especially due to the fact that guy assumes the "Tenth Dimension" would be "a single, timeless everything" and encompass everything we can possibly conceive and blah blah, when that's not true. There are theories which propose a cosmos with far more Dimensions than just 10.

I was going to talk about how the greater Omniverse and Overvoid would imply higher-spatial dimensions than 10, but I limited my scope to Morrison's Map since it defines the 52 as "brane universes in a higher-dimensional bulk", the Brane Cosmology version of String Theory. All the articles talking about the 10 dimensions of String Theory I could find mostly echoed the same views of how said dimensions work as the video I shared (it's been taken off the page, now).

On a personal level, I never believed in the idea of alternate timelines and parallel universe (so you'd never see me genuinely believe String Theory), nor do I believe in the idea of "infinite dimensions".

Here, I'm just trying to work out how Morrison applied String Brane CosmologyTheory to the DC Multiverse.

It seems like this suggestion has been rejected, so perhaps we should close this?

Antvasima said:
It seems like this suggestion has been rejected, so perhaps we should close this?
I am open to replacing my current draw up of the DC structure with a more accurate one, if anyone is willing to help with the details. Such as this site here: http://whystringtheory.com/news/just-one-theory/

For instance, cutting out the whole business with Hypertime being associated with the 5th and 6th dimensions.

...That said, Grant Morrison once mentioned that superstring theory posits there are multiple universes: https://www.wired.com/2014/08/grant-morrison-multiversity-dc/

And the theory accomodates for 10^500 different possible vacuum states (though that seems to be in doubt recently).

With the recent Justice League arc, I'm just trying to figure out how to fit it all together: have Tenth Metal, the Dark Multiverse, and the Sixth Dimension remain consistent with Morrison's Brane Cosmology String Theory-based map.

Okay, I deleted all that mumbo jumbo. Here's what I started replacing it with:

https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/r...quantum-fields-and-strings/more-string-theory

https://www.thoughtco.com/brane-2699125

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-are-there-multiple-universes-2698857

According to these two links, for a 3-D brane Universe like our own, the higher dimensional bulk it resides in is 9-D space. Which greatly simplifies things for me compared to that hocus pocus I got tricked by earlier since, applying that to the Map which directly calls Bleedspace the "Bulk", Bleed-Space is 9-D space (or, at minimum, a singular extended dimension, so the 5-dimensional Bleed it's already been described as).

But if actually 9-D (with the Fifth Dimension described by Captain Carrot in "Multiversity" being Mxyzptlk's dimension), that would puts all the Spheres above the Orrery as beyond 10 dimensions (assuming I got it right this time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back