• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Darth Maul profile edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soldier_Blue

VS Battles
Retired
On Darth Maul's profile, the justification for his High 6-A rating is that he's comparable to Dooku in the Son of Dathomir comics. Okay let's set aside the fact that I doubt Maul is as powerful as Dooku (which is a discussion for another time) and get to why this reasoning should not be there.

The Son of Dathomir comics came out in 2014 and form part of the new Disney canon. You cannot use Disney canon reasoning and portrayal to justify power-scaling in the old Legends continuity.

My poroposal for the reasoning for Maul's Legends canon stats:

Multi-Continent level (Fought two on one for a good while with Qui-Gon Jin, who was stated to be on the level of Jedi High Council Members, in addition to his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi who, at the time, was ready for the trials and to be Knighted. Is at the very least on the level of Jedi High Council members such as Clone Wars era Obi-Wan Kenobi)

This seems reasonable, but it is probably best to leave a message that links to this thread on The Everlasting's page.

Yeah, I never bothered to look, but Son of Dathomir is indeed Disney canon and doesn't apply to Legends (Though I don't doubt Maul's comparability to Dooku, per se)..

The changes are fine.

Feel free to perform the changes then.

Soldier Blue said:
On Darth Maul's profile, the justification for his High 6-A rating is that he's comparable to Dooku in the Son of Dathomir comics. Okay let's set aside the fact that I doubt Maul is as powerful as Dooku (which is a discussion for another time) and get to why this reasoning should not be there.
The Son of Dathomir comics came out in 2014 and form part of the new Disney canon. You cannot use Disney canon reasoning and portrayal to justify power-scaling in the old Legends continuity.
"You doubt..." <--- You cannot use personal opinion for justification. Please let me help out here, if you don't mind.

We have a g- or c- old canon reference book that answers this question. I'm not sure if it is g- or c- canon because it is about the Darth Sidious and his apprentices in the Movies, but it also includes Luke because Sidious wanted Luke to be his apprentice. There is a section in the book, which is Beware the Sith (officially licensed and published in 2012), titled "Sith Selection," which discusses Sidious' criteria in chosing an apprentice. On pages 16 - 17, there are comparisons beween Maul, Tyranus, Vader, and Luke. It is clearly stated that Maul exceeds Tyranus in "Raw Power" and in "Force Skill".

Although the follow examples do not compare Maul to Tyranus or anyone else, it gives us an idea of just how great of a Sith that Maul was. Although Dooku is said to have been a great Jedi, we don't have any similar accolades (compared to what I'm about to post) regarding Tyranus.

In the old canon reference book, The Star Wars Visual Dictionary, it says that Darth Maul is "one of history's most dangerous and promising Sith." pg. 9

In the old canon reference book, The Power of Myth, it says that, "Sidious has trained one of the most dangerous Sith Apprentices in the history of the Order." It also say that, "Maul is one of the most highly trained Sith in the history of the Order."

You mentioned that we can't use Disney canon, but the new canon reference book, Ultimate Star Wars, backs up what is said above by saying that Maul "is one of the deadliest, most efficiently trained Sith in the Order's history." pg. 37

All the above are discussing the Sith Order in general and not the Banite Sith. The Sith Order had been in existence approximately 25,000 years by the time Maul was born. Maul's Raw Power (not potential, which is not discussed) is on par with Vader's and Luke's. His Force Skill is just under Vader's and Luke's, and all are above Tyranus'. Again, this is in Beware the Sith. There is nothing to contradict this, and if there is, I ask that you please supply the source because I would appreciate any help that furthers my education. Thank you.

Red Heathen said:
"You doubt..." <--- You cannot use personal opinion for justification. Please let me help out here, if you don't mind.
I never used my personal opinion for justification or when editing the profile. I even explicitly stated that it was "a discussion for another time" in the OP.

Red Heathen said:
BTW, why is it that you don't want to use new canon? What is the issue or difference that you perceive here?
I just don't think it's right to use power-scaling/reasoning from one continuity to justify stats in a completely separate continuity. I clearly stated this in the OP.

I agree that we cannot scale between continuities.

Soldier Blue said:
Red Heathen said:
BTW, why is it that you don't want to use new canon? What is the issue or difference that you perceive here?
I just don't think it's right to use power-scaling/reasoning from one continuity to justify stats in a completely separate continuity. I clearly stated this in the OP.
Yes you did, but I was curious as to why because we don't yet know if there is going to be a difference, or if there is, I am asking you to help me out and tell me there is. I don't see these as different continuities, yet, but I can always learn. How are they two different continuities?

The old canon was split, but some modicum of continuity tried to be maintained, and that same continuity is still a priority in the new canon, which is why Leland Chee was hired by Disney to work with the Story Group. The new canon kept old g-canon except the novelizations.

G canon and C canon had conflicting info on many characters, and in those cases G won, but even within C there were a few instances of discontinuity. All this said, it is clearly stated in old canon that Maul had more raw power and force skill in Beware the Sith, a DK reference book, which is just as valid as any other reference book, which is verified by Leland Chee. Link provided if needed so please let me know. No where is the opposite stated about Tyranus in regards to Maul.

It is stated that Dooku was a great Jedi, but no where is it stated that he was one of the Sith's greatest apprentices in the Sith's history. We have four sources stating that about Maul, which can be found in old and new canon. All of this is discussed and referenced in my original post.

But again, I just don't understand how there are two different continuities. I also don't know how Maul is different in that comic, and I'm asking what is the difference, if you don't mind sharing this with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back