• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

D&D Verse Downgrade

Specifically, the fact that almost the entirety of everyone from any D&D setting scales from this calc in questio

For a TL;DR, a user stipulates that a 9th level spell which has a casting time of one entire uninterrupted day of casting which drains the caster of 3d6 Constitution (note: an average human has precisely 10 points of Constitution) and 4d6 Wisdon (note: again, average person has 10 points of this) is a spell that 'high tiers' can casually use to unleash hundreds of miles of devastation upon the unsuspecting masses and thereby gain, at the least, high tier-7 Attack Potency.

The only problem is that literally every part of the calc, and how it applies to persons such as Elminster, whose profile features it prominently, is utterly wrong.

Part 1: Metamagic Feats and You

For starters, the person crafting this calc utilizes a 9th level spell called Apocalypse From The Sky, which deals 10d6 damage in a rather large area. The spell itself and its official stats can be found here The person themselves is quick to point out that lava deals 20d6 damage in one round of exposure (6 seconds exposure total, therefore), so an unimpressive showing for an allegedy Tier 7 attack already. The user then proceeds to presume a 17th level spellcaster can apply three separate metamagic feats to this spell, namely Widen Spell, Empower Spell, and Maximize Spell, all to get it to dealing 90 fire damage in a much larger area than normal.

There's just a tiny, teensy, small problem here: that would place the spell's level at 17th level. Widen Spell increases a spell's level by 3 entire slots, Maximize Spell increases a spell's level by 3 entire slots, and Widen Spell increases a spell's level by 2 entire slots. Starting with a 9th level spell, you're now at 17th level, something that would require having a 40th level epic caster's progression to replicate with any sort of 'casual' ease. The reason why? You would need the Feat 'Increased Spell Capacity', taken 8 times in a row, to access a spell slot of 17th level. No wizard of sane mind would grab these feats immediately since they do not possess the spellcraft skill points required to even create a spell of such proportion, but that's another argument entirely.

Simply put: your 17th level caster is physically and mechanically unable to access such a spell at all, ever. Elminster himself, a 29th level arcane caster, would be unable to produce such a spell since he canonically has only 18 Wisdom; the spell would literally kill him with its feedback thus he'd never utilize it or anything similar. Further, Elminster's canon stat block does not give him access to this. Further, Elminster DOES NOT POSSESS THE METAMAGIC FEATS NECESSARY TO REPLICATE THIS, PER HIS OWN PROFILE.

Part 2: Dragon's Breath Damage

The second most pressing issue, beyond the now-proven fact that Elminster cannot in any way scale to a spell he possesses no means of replicating or casting, is that of the 90 fire damage the calc presents and tries to quantify. The only thing ever given for the base presumption of the calc, that of a dragon's breath VAPORIZING stone, is the calc's own claim that their breath does so: > 20d6 damage is more in the realm of high-tier dragon's breath weapons, which can straight-up vaporize humans, stone, trees, etc. Cool

Which is wonderful if the author of the calc is any authority on such things. Which he is not. Canonically, a great wyrm red dragon's breath in the Forgotten Realms ended up turning stone to lava after a concentrated blast by the dragon Hephaestus, when he breathed on the crystal relic Crenshinibon in his own lair during the events of Servant of the Shard ("Hephaestus's terrible breath came forth yet again, melting the stone in the alcove"). Of important note is that a great wyrm red is the second most powerful of all dragons in the Forgotten Realms, second only to a great wyrm gold, and their breath weapon deals not 20d6 but 24d10 damage . Turning stone to molten slag after a concentrated and direct blast of extended proportions is literally magnitudes lesser than the calc presented for vaporization, which is a citation-less claim with no backing whatsoever yet rather counter-evidence as I provide, and that is something achieved by a breath attack dealing an average amount of 132 damage....fully 42 points of damage above (nearly 50% more powerful) what the calc originally claims is 'vaporization' yet only manages to melt stone.

In the Forgotten Realms, mortal creatures have survived a dragon's breath, just barely, but they have. This vaporization claim is utterly bunk and entirely useless, and the original calc itself would be entire magnitudes lesser due to something 50% more powerful barely managing to melt stone, let alone vaporize it. This spell and indeed the entire calc referencing a dragon's damage for attack potency scaling is worthless.

Part 3: Results

As a result of all of the above, it is provably disingenuous to scale someone such as Elminster to the spell Apocalypse From The Sky in the manner given in the calc, and as a direct result since his AP comes from the calc, his AP needs revised, and since almost everyone in D&D on this site scales from it, they ALL need downgrades. Going back to the original calc, and based on some quick math borrowed in part from the original calc's own basic framework, melting the stone would be roughly 4358.9475 J/cm^3, and given the cone of a dragon's breath calculations, we would end up at.... 2.2 Kiltons of TNT for a great wyrm red's breath damage output. The calc's damage itself would therefore reduce down to roughly 1.65 Kilotons of TNT or so.

At the end of it all, you get an end-result calc that is magnitudes less powerful than the calc itself originally presents. Not only is the calc's scaling from a dragon's breath for someone vastly above Elminster's paygrade, it doesn't even scale to something as powerful as claimed. Someone of Elminster's power would end up being able to replicate perhaps half the damage of the spell, which with its new scaling would end up giving us a damage output of maybe, at most, 1% of what is given. And that is, again this is super important, WITH ONE ENTIRE DAY OF PREP TIME AND SEVERE BACKLASH, NOT CASUAL WHATSOEVER.

As a result, the very highest-end of someone such as Elminster's attack potency needs to be downgraded at least an entire tier to be in the lower Tier 8 range, and that at their highest. The rest of Elminster's scaling is equally ridiculous, caling him small planetary cuz he is ALLEGEDLY more magically potent than a spell a goddess directly cast through one of her wizards to darken the sky over a region? A spell that took an entire ******* WEEK to cast???

All D&D persons who scale from the calc in the user blog at the top absolutely need reduced to at the most Tier 8-B, and that based solely on the ability to create fireballs of enough size and power to arguably wipe a city block of human inhabitants. The scaling from Wish, a spell that is written to specifically state it can only replicate 8th level spells and lower, is utter bogus. Elminster's feats do not back up any of his Attack Potency scaling, and everyone scaled from him is equally bunk as a result.

Hey. I'm not on the knowledgeable members list, but I'm probably among the more knowledgeable here. I've done a lot of work for the D&D verse (off site, but still, I can provide sources).

So, with VSBW standards. Here's how I'd see it.

1. The way Apocalypse From The Sky is handled is done... poorly. That said, if a calc could be done, it would still scale to people that can't use it- it's the same strength as spells they would reasonably be able to conjure with prep time. It comes from the same power source, their magic. So yeah.

As a side note, I could attempt to recalc it, if you'd like.

2. I've got no issues with Dragon's Breath. Why? Because most dragons that matter can match 7-9th level spellcaster anyways (as in, casting spells at difficulty 7-9). These spells have SEVERAL tier 7 feats already (Meteor Swarm, Earthquake, Control Weather, etc). So that dragon breath became more of a supporting feat anyways. Tier 7 high-tier characters/monsters is pretty consistent, if someone wants to check those calcs I'd be happy to provide them, should it help.

3. As far as I know, turning stone to lava works at 5 kJ/cc, or at least, that's the value used in a Dark Souls calc that did the same thing a while back (Chaos Firestorm).

Here's some Tier 7 feats for D&D. Wish I had a better source for Verraketh, since he's pretty vague, but still. Foggysniper has a blog on here with Control Weather at Tier 7 as well. I'll link what I can.

Note that, in my own opinion, Control Weather may as well be an outlier. It's lower level than the other two, VASTLY above them, and in a class of spells that otherwise produces 8-B results based on calcs from WeeklyBattles (Sunburst).

So, in my own opinion, anyone level 15 or higher (CR 15 or higher too) should scale to Meteor Swarm. 82.12 Kilotons of TNT. These characters can consistently battle the dragons mentioned above. Cheers.

NOTE: Might have forgotten something, pretty tired. Sorry.

Thanks for chiming in!!

1. Yeah, it's super poorly done. And honestly, the calc cannot in any way scale to Elminster and therefore most the scaling for D&D on-site here is bunk. Elminster factually cannot replicate the feat as-calced, at all, as I show. So yeah, agree here.

2. The feat used in the calc to get any meaningful number relies on dragon's breath is the thing. So it's even more bunk. And those spells are iffy because:

3. Meteor swarm's spheres are not 40 feet in radius. Consistently, they're small spheres that detonate in a large area, if we look at 3.5e's spell of the same name which adds more clarity. Further, notice how even in 5e it clearly stipulates that the damage spreads around corners? That's because it's an explosion effect, otherwise it would have specifically stipulated the impact of a 40 foot radius meteor destroys said terrain. Furthermore, the spell specficially states a creature cannot take overlapping damage, which is asinine if it's 4 individual meteors of 40 foot in diameter plummeting to the earth within 10 feet of one another.

The meteor swarm calc is just plain wrong in its interpretation of how the spell works ('We know that it summons four meteors, and that they are actually meteors' <----false, considering it actually verbatim just states blazing orbs), Control Weather as we both agree is an outlier, Earthquake is likely the only legitimate calc.

All in all, nothing powerful exists to support Elminster being above high Tier 8 with his most potent spells.

Also, another issue: the meteors in question from this spell are usable underground, as in, inside a cave in the Underdark.

They cannot originate from the sky as an actual meteor does. It just summons blazing orbs of fire, verbatim per the spell, that explode on impact. The entire calc for Meteor Swarm is demonstrably false.

Actually, you're right, I misread that. The effect itself is 40 feet in radius, but it generates smaller objects. That's my bad. Still Earthquake is a thing. And yes, it can be used presumably anywhere (as with a lot of stuff, DM's choice, really). That said, it's a meteor. Meteors have the speed of a meteor, not the same as lightning, which is typically just electricity (thus different speeds). Same premise used in recent Terraria revisions.

So. We have Control Weather, which is legitimate on all counts but likely above anything else. We have Earthquake, which is in the Kiloton range. We have VERY high-end Dragon's Breath, which would realistically scale to Elminster purely because Elminster is literally legendary tier. Like... laughably above the casters that can use Earthquake and Control Weather and stuff.

Additionally, there are city-busting feats among dragons as well. I seem to recall several feats of notable AP from various other notable characters.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Krake

Kraken can wipe out island populations

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eltab

Unnamed sorcerers were able to summon pieces of Eltab's layer of the Abyss, one of which was able to hold Eltab's palace, which is huge

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aurgloroasa

This Dracolich destroyed a dwarven city under a mountain.
This one is pretty vague, sadly.

Basically, I'm not against Tier 7 Elminster, especially when he can fight godly avatars (or are comparable to beings that can, like Bigby and Mordenkainen). These same avatars would be comparable to avatars that are literally planets (Atropus). Let's just say their AP varies a lot.

Quick recalc for Meteor Swarm, since I looked at 40 ft radius and ended it.

So! Since the effect is, apparently, several explosions with a 40 ft radius, let's do that as well. Four 40 ft radius explosions.

R = Y^1/3 * 0.28 is our equation, where R is radius in km and Y is yield in kilotons of TNT.

R = 12.192m

This nets us 8.256 x 10^-5 Kilotons, which translates to 3.454e8 Joules. Multiply by four to get 1.382 x 10^9 Joules, Building level. Not impressive, really.

Now, for the meteors. 11km/s is our speed for meteors, density of a meteor is about 7500 kg/m^3. Radius is 1 foot, so volume is 0.12m^3. TImes four is 0.48 m^3, so our mass is 3600 kg.

KE = 0.5m x v^2 = 2.178 x 10^11 Joules, or City Block level+. Oof.

So, currently, we agree Earthquake is legitimate. Control Weather creates tornadoes, which IS consistent with their Tier 8 feats, meaning they would be upper tier 8, with max levels being tier 7 (low-end). Notable characters above that should, hopefully, scale to what I have above (Dracolich, Kraken, Demoncysts). If one likes, I could make a calc for the Kraken as well, but it would require MANY assumptions.

Assumptions are not a good basis for reliable calculations.

Not even a little, that's why I didn't flat out do it. As few assumptions as possible is ideal. That said, these feats are very clearly in the Tier 7 range. Since the Meteor Swarm calc is dissatisfactory (I misread the information, and for that, I apologize), I believe unnamed high-level beings should scale to Earthquake. As for those above that, they should realistically scale to these high-end feats, most notably Eltab's palace being brought into this world.

Eltab's largest demoncyst is over 500 feet in diameter and contains Eltab's palace. Each smaller individual was at least 100 feet in diameter. We don't know how many were summoned, only that it is a great amount and many lay yet undiscovered, but we do know they are considered, and I quote, "Pocket Planes". And that they're caves that function entirely differently than the surrounding areas.

Anybutt. We could put Elminster, dragons, and beings like them at "At least Low 7-C, likely higher" for being just... just so laughably above beings able to use Earthquake. Elminster literally fodderizes them. There are tons of feats for D&D, so apologies if I seem jumpy. Need to re-compile the ones I know of.

Okay. I suppose that seems to make sense.

Mr. Bambu said:
Additionally, there are city-busting feats among dragons as well. I seem to recall several feats of notable AP from various other notable characters.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Krake

Kraken can wipe out island populations

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eltab

Unnamed sorcerers were able to summon pieces of Eltab's layer of the Abyss, one of which was able to hold Eltab's palace, which is huge

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aurgloroasa

This Dracolich destroyed a dwarven city under a mountain.
This one is pretty vague, sadly.
How are 1 and 3 City Busting? Both happened over an unknown peroid of time and could be accomplish by people under 7-B. For 2 I don't really see as city level since none of the chunks are the size of a city and all they did was just teleport them which isn't much of an AP thing.

1 could feasibly happen over an unknown period of time. 3? Not so much. The same document states she wiped out the city and left a few survivors to wander for a few weeks. We know, therefore, that the first killing (and city wiping in general) was relatively fast. As for 2, their size is that of a city block, and TONS of them (quanity over quality, is my point). None of them are huge, but there are enough to justify a Tier 7 basis.

1 could feasibly happen over an unknown period of time. 3? Not so much. The same document states she wiped out the city and left a few survivors to wander for a few weeks. We know, therefore, that the first killing (and city wiping in general) was relatively fast (probably less than a day).

In the document (Cult of the Dragon) she had killed must of the Dwarfs during a ceromony and didn't bust the city itself . Killing all the occupents of a city is something a tier 9 or 8 character could theortically do. Also it happened over the course of a tenday or ten solid days

As for 2, their size is that of a city block, and TONS of them (quanity over quality, is my point). None of them are huge, but there are enough to justify a Tier 7 basis.

But why does teleportation have anything to do with AP? It's just moveing a bunch of 100 foot domes underground. They would need to move over 1 million of those domes to get something comparable to NYC or over 282,000 of those to get something comparable to Cincinnati. I don't think there's that many of them.

She killed the dwarves at the ceremony, yes. As for the tenday, you do seem to be correct.

They physically moved large chunks of land to our dimension. And no, probably not a million (though the size of NYC would probably justify Large City level, AKA 7-A, which is well above what I'm trying to say). I'd say it is probably well within the thousands. You're assuming very high standards for Tier 7- even a small town would be a Tier 7 feat. These easily outsize that.

> They physically moved large chunks of land to our dimension.

Physically? They teleported the chunks on accident . And while I agree NYC is a massive city and not the average, I think my Cincinnati comparison works out considering it's under 100 square miles. But to avoid arguments, what's the "basic" city and town used on this site or used in your mind?

Also why thousands? Did the book say there was that much?

By physically, I mean the physical chunks were moved. Sorry if my wording is bad.

And no, it never gives a number at all- it simply implies that there are MANY around the world and likely many more laying beneath the surface.

City wise? Well, IIRC a city has a baseline population of 5000 people (as in, anything above that is classified as a city). I suppose however many buildings are needed to sustain them. As for a town, I'd say enough to sustain about a thousand people. I don't believe the site has an established size.

(Sorry for answering out of order)

No problem. I doubted the 5,000 figure but according to the United Nations that's what the US considers the minimum number, but typically has 50,000 people.

United States of America: Agglomerations of 2,500 or more inhabitants, generally having population densities of 1,000 persons per square mile or more. Two types of urban areas: urbanized areas of 50,000 or more inhabitants and urban clusters of at least 2,500 and less than 50,000 inhabitants.

Seems weirdly small but I guess that's how it works. But 5,000 people sounds more like a town rather than a city in terms of the site.

But ultimately I don't think the feat is 7-B. At most I'd consider it 7-C.

I live in a city of a little over 7,000, if it helps. We're surrounded by other cities, but we are a city.

That's fine, our opinions differ.

For reference. A city block is about 2.25 acres (sauce). The smallest of these cysts is 0.18 acres, with the largest being about 5 acres.

According to Google, a township begins at 23048 acres. So based on this, I believe the Demoncyst thing to be a 7-C-ish feat average.

Don't get me wrong, by the by- I am all for 7-C high tiers, I don't care about wanking or downplaying, this is an archive, not a competition. Just wanna make my intentions clear. But these characters should be pretty laughably above Earthquake users. And, yes, the 7-C dragon feat should only scale to top tier dragons- but they scale to Elminster (who is above them), so top tiers being 7-C as of now would make sense, would it not?

Yeah I can agree with 7-C being a tip tier rating for mortals. Assuming that we're using the logic that Wizards can channel a similar amount of energy into all of their stronger spells. But like the OP mentioned I disagree with making any of them planetary via wish scaling or Continental without an enormous amount of prep.

That spell is far from casual, so yeah, no. Both Wish and Apocalypse from the Sky take some toll on the user- Wish requires literal XP be drained (their strength, which can actually level them down) and Apocalypse takes some stat points to my knowledge. That said, I attempted a recalc for the OP and got a reasonable amount for prep time AP- Island level+. Here it is.

We're talking about mere mortals here, keep in mind, not godly avatars. We should probably consider the mortals taking on godly avatars a big outlier, I think, since the gods even outside of their Tier 2 stuff have significant Tier 5 feats (some are just flat out moons, Lolth could cover the planet in darkness via Demon Weave, and so on).

> That said, I attempted a recalc for the OP and got a reasonable amount for prep time AP- Island level+. Here it is.

Island level with prep seems a lot more reasonable than casually contention so I can get behind this.

> We're talking about mere mortals here, keep in mind, not godly avatars.

There's a notable gap lore wise between a God's Avatars and their true forms. The best example is likely Helm vs Mystra. In their full power Helm (an intermediate deity) would likely be smashed by a Greater diety like Mystra (more so than usual considering she controls all magic), but when she was forced into her avatar state by Ao Helm just casually brushed off all of her attacks and one shot her.

Wait you meant mortals vs avatars my bad. I wanna say that they're massively above most mortals even in their avatar state, but also aren't unkillable with certain weapons and/or special planning. Pretty sure a few official adventures have PCs fight avatars.

> significant Tier 5 feats

Would that really scale to an Avatar though?

For example, this bad boy is a moo. The world is canon to the Forgotten Realms, and is a lesser-known Primordial, which means he should be inferior to but comparable to the gods themselves (since they could battle notable Primordials).

Groetus is also a lesser god that takes the shape of a moo. While he is referred to as multiple times as the moon, the text say that only the gods know whether or not he's the moon or it is merely his dwelling place- however, it is apparent that he has shaped the face on said moon.

NA
Based on this, and the other implications, it seems accepted by the community that the moon itself is him. I'm inclined to go with them.

Lolth was going to use the Demon Weave to cover the earth in Darkness so her followers could comfortably exist there. Granted, it was over a LONG period of time, but still. It seems apparent that it could have gone faster would there not have been interference- as in, she covered bits of the world quickly, and then there were long periods where she wasn't doing much of all. Anybutt.

Based on all this, we should probably not scale mortals to gods, even if they kill the gods' in their avatar forms. Plot Induced Stupidity. (Don't even get me started on Asgorath and Dendar's avatars).

> The world is canon to the Forgotten Realms, and is a lesser-known Primordial, which means he should be inferior to but comparable to the gods themselves (since they could battle notable Primordials

This is probably a issue for me since I'm not super well versed in FR lore. I know of Atropus since he's one of the "generic" Elder Evils, but to my understanding Gods would never send just their Avatars to fight one of them. But use their full power or proxies since Elder Evils (like Atropus) have a divine negating aura which would cripple a Avatar pretty hard. So unless the FR gods fought the Primordials in their Avatar states I don't think it would scale to them necessarily.

> Granted, it was over a LONG period of time, but still.

I know you can get 5A results from rapidly shifting the atmosphere going by MCU and Teen Titans calcs, but those are usually rapid and happen within seconds. In this case I would think it would to slow to get anything massively above what some high tiers could possibly do.

Let's assume this darkness is something like smoke. Let's toy around with this a bit.

The opacity was enough to completely block out the sun, but we can't put in 100% opacity, so 99.9999% is what we'll do (as in, SUPER close to literally no sunlight getting through). The density of the result is 0.03198 kg/m^3.

Assuming she (Lolth) covered country sized areas, which seems to be implied ("large areas of land"), we'll use a relatively average sized country as a comparison. Average country size in terms of land area is 767731 sq km^2.

Assuming the smoke functioned like a cloud, a height of 30000 feet (9.144 km) seems fair.

So, our volume of smoke is 7020132.26 km^3. Convert to m^3 for 7.020 x 10^15 m^3. Multiply by density for a mass of 2.245 x 10^14 kg.

Now, this cloud presumably came from one point, the Demon Weave itself. We need a radius of area to know distance traveled. Easy mode activated. According to that, the radius would be 494.34 km. 49434

Let's make some ends. I very highly doubt it was totally instant, so let's call it ten seconds as a high-end, one minute as a mid-end, and ten minutes as a low-end.

KE = 0.5m x v^2

High-End: 2.743 x 10^23 Joules, Country level+

Mid-End: 7.620 x 10^21 Joules, Small Country level

Low-End: 7.620 x 10^19 Joules, Island level

Personally I'm for the Mid- or High-End, but it doesn't bother me much since Lolth likely scales to Primordials and Gods being planets.

I know there's a HUGE difference between the gods and their avatars. Like I said, even lesser gods and demonic deities have Tier 2 feats (controlling time and space within their infinite layers of the abyss, Lolth separated her layer from the Abyss itself, several demonic lords are implied to have forged universes before, and so on). So yes, I know there's a difference.

I'm not sure about Helm being smashed by Mystra. Helm might be intermediate, but he's also notable enough to be chosen by Ao to defend the heavens during the Spellplague or whatever its called. So... not one-shot by Mystra, just beneath her.

Yes, a few campaigns require mortals to battle godly avatars (I believe Die Vecna Die has stuff like this). I'd consider that PIS, as being comparable to godly avatars isn't an option, especially not one so strong as Vecna. I also know that Bigby, Mordenkainen and friends battled Iuz at one point and actually harmed him.

The Tier 5 feats are the avatars. And, like I said, that's lesser deities. Asgorath's avatar is so large, even his smallest scales are the size of his largest dragons. The largest dragons brought up ever was introduced briefly in a Dragon Magazine I don't feel like tracking down, the Quazar Dragons- their mouths are something like 10,000 miles wide. They eat planets that have too much magic in them. That'd make Asgorath over 10x the size of our sun.

You may have a point, but this is lesser god stuff here. Again, speaking in terms of VSBW logic, the gods have Tier 5/4 stuff. Hell, look at Ao. I dunno what he'd be classified as. He just has galaxies on his cloak for his avatar. Or solar systems, I forget, really.

Like I said I get the actual God forms being Moon or Planet level (if they didn't already have Tier 2 feats like Lolth moving infinite sized planar layers), I just don't know if the Avatars scale to those. I think the most Avatars have done is wreck large swaths of land when fighting each other, like when the Mulhorandi and Unther Gods fought the Orc Gods.

Qawsed, these are the avatars that have Tier 4/5 feats. The avatars are those that have form in the Prime Material plane (typically, at least, to my knowledge a god could feasibly appear there but they tend to use avatars and remain in their own respective planes, if possible).

Here are the gods' feats in the Prime Material:

• Dendar swallowed the sun, and will do it again.
  • Asgorath is several times larger than our own sun.
  • Lolth was gonna use the Demon Weave but didn't get a chance.
  • Atropus and friends are quite large.
  • The only time Ao's avatar showed up, it had tons of celestial bodies within it ("He had a white beard and hair, and wore a black robe dotted by millions of stars and moons, arranged in a not-quite-perceptible pattern but which had a beautiful and harmonious feel.")
  • I forget who did it, but one of the gods did the Tearfall, which is different depending on who you ask. Some state that it was a star being hurled into the Sea of Fallen Stars (hence its name) to punish the Titans, who were wiped out. Others state that that it was the planet being torn into two separate planets, Abeir and Toril. This was marked by continents being destroyed by fire and earthquakes. I believe the latter is what actually happened, though I don't remember for sure.
  • Quazar Dragons aren't gods perse, but they have a mouth wider than Earth, so yeah.

Since you wrote comment #30 before I noticed I couldn't respond to some stuff

> I'm not sure about Helm being smashed by Mystra.

DIdn't another Greater God (Tyr) kill him pretty easily in a duel?

> Asgorath's avatar is so large, even his smallest scales are the size of his largest dragons.

That is Dragon myth to be fair. And images of him from some sources like the Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons depict him as extremly large but not that big.

> Dragon Magazine I don't feel like tracking down, the Quazar Dragons

Wasn't that a April Fools thing? I think it was one of the, if not the first, April 1st edition of Drago. I know that Spelljammer has massive dragons though and scaling from them can get an absurd number (assuming you believe the Dragon legends). But 568.18 miles aren't as good as 10,000 miles.

> Hell, look at Ao. I dunno what he'd be classified as.

Ao is High 2A for being vastly above dozens/hundreds of 2As

As for the other comment my issue isn't that the Gods have Tier 5/4 feats, but that their Avatars don't. Also Pathfinder probably shouldn't be mentioned since that's not releated to DnD canon.

Could be, dunno. I'd believe you if Tyr did, but Helm is a bit above low-tier gods.

Responding to both of the next points, dragon legends are more likely to be true than a human legend. Dragons can be very old- they might have lived those legends. \

Again, this was Ao's avatar- this was the only time he ever appeard on our plane. I know Ao's god form is High 2-A, and Lumi is Low 1-C for being infinitely above him and the gods are 2-A scaling from Asgorath (created the infinite multiverse) Vecna (damaged the infinite multiverse) and Lady of Pain (repaired the infinite multiverse). Demonic lords scale to the things I lifted above.

These ARE the avatars. I dunno how else to say it. Ao's AVATAR did that, as in, had millions of celestial bodies on his robe. Lolth's AVATAR did that, and she's fodder to any god. Asgorath's AVATAR is that large. Moving on.

True, was just peering at their stuff and found Cthulhu. Probably wasn't worth a comment, just thought it was funny. Technically Pathfinder is just revised D&D, but I see the point. My apologies.

Anyways. I'm derailing, sort of. Discussing the D&D verse in general as opposed to the point brought up here.

@OP, what is your opinion on Low 7-C to 7-C high-tier mortals based on Earthquake, Demoncyst/City Busting (over a period of time)/High-end dragon breath/etc? And 6-C with Prep Time.

Also, if Aeyu wants to respond, a staff opinion would be welcome. If Aparajita is still active, they too have some extent of knowledge on the verse, IIRC.

> Again, this was Ao's avatar- this was the only time he ever appeard on our plane.

He's shown up a few times besides the Time of Troubles. Plus having a bunch of stars in your outfit is vastly below High 2A by an infinite amount

> 2-A scaling from Asgorath (created the infinite multiverse) Vecna (damaged the infinite multiverse) and Lady of Pain (repaired the infinite multiverse)

Asgorath creating an infinite Multiverse doesn't apply to FR since Ao is the one who did that. FR Asgorath is pretty different from other versions. Vecna and the Lady of Pain are okay, even if the former was amped when he did his stuff.

> Lolth's AVATAR did that, and she's fodder to any god.

Did what? Spread the dark cloud? If that was her Avatar then there's nothing to talk about yeah. I'm just saying you can't scale people to Primordials since the Gods fought them in their true form, not as Avatars.

> Asgorath's AVATAR is that large.

Still iffy on that considering his only actual apperence is vastly different from an old legend. Also I found the Quazer Dragon decription and its 100% a April Fools thing

> Demonic lords scale to the things I lifted above.

They scale to their Abyssal Layers which are decribed in 2e as infinite in size. They're below the Gods 2A rating.

> Anyways. I'm derailing, sort of. Discussing the D&D verse in general as opposed to the point brought up here.

Same. We can always talk about this in another thread ot in PMs. Lets just stick to the current topic.

Low 7-C with 7-C for those above EQ users (Elminster and the likes who scale to top tier spellcasters/dragons). 6-C with prep time (though that blog should be reposted here for sake of ease).

Would Elimaster and Mordankanian scale to the Elder Elementals described in Tome of Foes? While the Leviathan is probably an outlier (it has been described to be able to destroy continents in previous editions) they should be comparable with the Elder Tempest who creates a 10-mile diameter storm (at max) just by existing.

Back