• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cuphead airplane speed downgrade

It has come to my attention that Cuphead and Mugman's speed when in their airplanes has been listed as transonic, solely because he 'can fly at the average speed of a plane.' This I find is problematic, for two reasons: there's no evidence to support this, and it's completely unfounded.

Firstly, the game of Cuphead clearly takes place in the 1930s from the various Roman numeral dates we see throughout the game, and the first plane to have broken the sound barrier was the Bell X-1, which didn't break the sound barrier until October of 1947.

Secondly, the airplane levels featured in Cuphead do not show any indication of surpassing the minimum transonic speed requirements for this wiki. We do not see a sonic boom, and there's nothing else in the game we can scale speed off of reliably.

The in-game achievement 'Bravo Zulu P-26' indicates the planes Cuphead and Mugman are piloting are based on the Boeing P-26 Peashooter, which definitely looks similar to the ones featured in-game. These planes have a recorded top flying speed of 105 m/s, which is what this wiki identifies as subsonic. Even if we assume the speed of the planes doubles upon shrinking, that's still 209.2 m/s, still in the subsonic range.

I am fine with the revision. Maybe you want to ask other "knowledgeable members" for further approval.

TacticalNuke002 said:
I would agree, but don't they have lightning dodging feats in the plane? I don't remember that well, so I may be wrong.
I'd need to see it to be convinced. If there's anyone who can find them, please share them to me. Plus, it might not've been true lightning, so who knows for certain?

Umm. I don't think it is accepted. Which is why the planes are only transonic. I don't believe it's real lighting (iirc. It comes from that cloud fighting character. I forget her name. But I'll find her fight)

There's no lightning dodging unfortunately, but there's a lot of light dodging feats. Hilda Berg's UFO beams, the mermaid's petrification beam, the robot's lasers etc.

Cala Maria's petrification beams can't really be dodged outside of basic aimdodging since the window's so large and the attack happens instantly, and the UFO beams I'm pretty damn sure are aimdodging as well. Dr. Khal's Robot I don't think has true lasers either.

Agreed.

And to summarise (talked with Ant about this):

1. Early game characters scale to Goopy Le Grande who is basically a walking gravestone (before that they fall into a circular loop of scaling without some "concrete gravestone" data)
  2. Mid-game and late-game characters scale to Djimmi the Great who is tiered at 9-A
  3. Bosses involving airplanes are all subsonic to subsonic+ by OP
Please suggest anything else if the Cuphead verse requires calculation.

Checked:

The revisions are over by now I believe. Please have a check yourselves and finish the rest.

Back